It seems this forum is pretty down on Rangers vs Hunters, primarily because the Spread Needle supposedly negates their one advantage. Well, this may be true if you're able and willing to acquire one of those duped Spread Needles. Blech.

This Saturday, I decided to start up a new Ranger (RAcast Mechdan) just to confirm my theory of the Ranger's biggest advantage--he's the easiest and most fun early on. By nighttime, I was already at level 20 and getting in on Hard games!

So here are the reasons to pick a Ranger:

1. You can level up REALLY FAST. 20 levels in one day? That's WITHOUT handing powerful stuff to the character.

2. They're easy and relaxing to play. You just don't need a lot of hand-eye coordination to use a Shotgun well. It's not the intense aiming/anticipation/maneuvering challenge that Mechguns are.

I walked through the first 6 levels offline in the first couple hours. A new Ranger is so fun compared to other classes because you start off with a good old handgun. I alternated running through the forest and doing a Guild mission to level up--feeding the Mag a constant Dex boosting diet to acheive my goal.

My goal, of course, was to get near enough to the 85 ATA minimum of a Shot for a couple Marksman/Arm to bring me the rest of the way. When I got level 6, I decided it was time to go online.

After a little exchanging of niceties in the Lobby, I found someone kindly enough to purchase a few Marksman/Arm and a Shot for me. He actually gave me a Marksman/Arm++ which was enough to raise my ATA with a single slot (no big deal for him, of course--bank hemmoraging relief). I told him to buy the cheapest Shot available (it was less than 3000 Meseta) and I insisted he take my savings at the time for it (around 9000 Meseta). No doubt he didn't need it, but I didn't want to get something for nothing.

I then tried it out a bit in the Forest to get the hang of the timing before returning to the Lobby in search of a game to hang onto. First one I find is in the Ruins--my leveling up spurt began at this time. By the time we beat Dark Falz, I had leveled up from 6 to 14!

Okay. I knew it was easy leveling up as a Ranger online. It came as quite a shock to me HOW quickly you can level up online (with a ranger).

Anyway, I took a break from online play to at least beat the Dragon and De Sol Re offline. Talk about a cakewalk! The Shot chewed the poor reptile to pieces in no time. The Caves were easy, too. However, I got a rude awakening when I finally slogged my way to De Sol Re. My accuracy with the Shot was still poor, so I hardly ever hit him. I decided it would be easier just to continue levelling up online (this offline play brought me up to 18 ).

I went online, and didn't see any particularly promising games to join, so I started my own. I went immediately to the caves with the intention of getting to level 20. The thicker crouds of enemies compared to offline caves were VERY welcome. I was nearing 20 when another level 19 character joined in. The other char left the game suddenly sometime after we got level 20--probably disconnected. I continued on for a while in case he wanted to come back and pick up some stuff he left. After I was satisfied he wasn't returning, I left to go look for or start a Hard game...

Incidentally, I also started up a HUnewearl pure offline on Saturday. Only got her up to level 6--still easy compared to a Force pure offline. I made her just for fun and a little break from Mechdan, anyway. She's yet another Lum, specializing in Zondes and Shock pistols.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: MechDan on 2001-03-12 11:00 ]</font>