Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Default The Force Thread

There just isn't enough Force information going around to appease me. Therefore, I am making this thread to help compile all that is currently known about Forces. I want to pay special attention to Techniques, since that seems to be the hardest thing for me to find information on. Also, techniques are one of my favorite things about Phantasy Star.

Anyway, I'll list what I know from my research. I have not been in any alpha or beta tests, so all my information is 2nd party at best. As people from the beta (or who have done better research) contribute more information, I'll update it. For now, this thread will just consist of text, but I hope to add photos as they become available.

TECHNIQUES

Arika has provided a very informative video showcasing all the Techniques. It is a must see for anyone who isn't in the Beta and cares anything about the way of the Force.

Vent has done an awesome job with posting technique pictures and descriptions over on his blog. He has been so kind as to allow me to pull his images and post them here, so that is where most of the images here are from. I highly suggest visiting Phantasy Star Online Closed Beta: TECHNIQUES Showcase for more thorough information on techs.

MAGICAL LINK COME FORTH!

FIRE

All these techs have a chance to burn (what does burn do? assuming DoT) their target.

Foie: Shoots out a ball of fire in a linear path. Can deal damage to multiple targets if they are very close. Also has the ability to hurt enemies that it skims, but doesn't detonate on.
    Spoiler!

Rafoie: Causes an explosion centering at an auto-targeted enemy or at a set distance. Deals damage to multiple targets.
    Spoiler!

Gifoie: Creates two fireballs that circle the casting point, damaging nearby enemies up to 3 times. This tech has an extended battle animation.
    Spoiler!

Shifta: Creates an aura that enhances all attack stats of yourself and nearby allies.
    Spoiler!

LIGHTNING

All these techs have a chance of shocking (prevents enemies from attacking) their target.

Zonde: Causes a bolt of lightning to fall upon a target. Can hit multiple targets.
    Spoiler!

Razonde: Causes lightning to strike around the casting point in a conical shape, dealing damage to surrounding targets. The area of effect of this tech is increased the further away from the ground it is cast. However, casting it too high can cause the tech to not land.
    Spoiler!

Gizonde: Shoots out a linear bolt of electricity to a target. Upon hitting the target it will jump to other nearby targets causing a chain effect.
    Spoiler!

Sazonde: Shoots out a ball of electricity that puts a target into a "charged" state. This causes the first lightning based tech (that does damage) that is used on the affected target to trigger a short DoT. Multiple Sazondes can be stacked upon a target to produce multiple DoTs. Affects only a single target.
    Spoiler!

ICE

All of these techs have a chance to freeze (prevents target from attacking or moving, but constant attacking can prematurely free the target) their target.

Barta: Shoots a burst of ice that, when coming in contact with the ground, will travel forward along the surface. Has a piercing effect , and is thus able to hit multiple targets.
    Spoiler!

Rabarta: Causes a storm of ice centering around the casting point that damages surrounding targets. Has an extended attack animation and will damage enemies up to 4 times during it.
    Spoiler!

Gibarta: Sprays a wide arc of icicles a short distance hitting multiple targets. Can hit up to 4 times.
    Spoiler!

Deband: Creates an aura that enhances all defense stats of yourself and nearby allies.
    Spoiler!

LIGHT

Grants: Causes a barrage of arrows of light to rain down upon a single target. Can hit multiple targets only if they are very close.
    Spoiler!

Gigrants: Causes a beam (or 4 beams if charged) of light to circle the casting point, damaging targets.
    Spoiler!

Resta: Creates an aura of healing around the user. This technique can heal both the user and surrounding allies. The charged version of this technique lingers for a short time healing up to 4 times.
    Spoiler!

Anti: Cures yourself and nearby allies of abnormal status conditions.
    Spoiler!

WEAPONS

Omega-z has done some incredible research about the three weapons currently available for Forces. Everyone should view this information as it sheds some light on some very interesting aspects of the damage mechanics of these weapons. Weapons that use two stats for their damage modifiers? Hybrid classes... Your time has finally come!
    Spoiler!

Physically attacking with a weapon will recharge PP quicker.

Rods: A pole-like weapon that amplifies technique power, and can be used to melee as well. These types of weapons are capable of damaging multiple targets with each melee swing. *Please supply any info/pics of specific types of rods*

Talis: A device that amplifies tech power and is capable of launching a "card". This card can attack a target physically, or it can be used as a medium to launch techniques from. Cards have a piercing effect and therefore can damage multiple targets. The distance of a thrown card when the first tech is cast on it affects the card's lifespan. The nearer the card is, the longer it will "live", and one can cast up to 5 techs from a single card with perfect timing. Nothing else seems to affect a card's lifespan. *Please supply any info/pics of specific types of Talis (correct name?) weapons*

Spoiler!

Gunslash: No, this is not a Force exclusive weapon. Actually, it is open to all classes, and is thus an option for Forces. These weapons are guns that are designed to have a knife/sword type blade as well. As such, one can melee, do ranged damage, and even cast techniques with them equipped. However, they do not amplify tech power, so the caster must rely only on their innate tech power. In fact, this weapon is first put away when a tech is cast, and therefore makes chaining techs and other attacks slower.

SKILL TREE

Eclipse5632 has allowed me to use his translated Force skill tree picture and information. All the information in this section is credited to him. The information is from the second alpha, and he has warned me that some information has changed in the closed beta. Therefore, don't expect the information you find here to be 100% accurate.

UPDATE
    Dinosaur has submitted a translated closed beta Force skill tree, so I have replaced the alpha-2 one with it. Note that the translated skill descriptions will be the same until someone submits new ones. Thanks Dinosaur!

TRANSLATED SKILL TREE
    Spoiler!

SKILL DESCRIPTIONS

Magic Up 1: Raises your Magic Attack stat.

Tech Charge Advance 1: Increases the damage of charged techniques.

Tech Charge Advance 2: Increases the damage of charged techniques.

Charge PP Revival: Recover PP while charging.

Photon Flare: Temporarily increases your magic attack in exchange for lowered max HP.

Flame Mastery 1: Increases damage of flame techniques.

Flame Tech S Charge: Decreases the charge time of flame techniques.

Burn Boost: Increases the chance of inflicting burn.

Flame Mastery 2: Increases the power of flame techniques.

Ice Mastery 1: Increases the damage of ice techniques.

Freeze Boost: Increases the chance of inflicting freeze.

Ice Mastery 2: Increases the damage of ice techniques.

Freeze Ignition: Detonates frozen enemies, dealing huge damage.

Bolt Mastery 1: Increases the damage of lightning techniques.

Bolt Tech PP Save: Lowers the PP cost of lightning techniques.

Shock Boost: Increases the chance of inflicting shock.

Bolt Mastery 2: Increases the damage of lightning techniques.

Normal Tech Advance: Raises the damage of uncharged techniques.

PP Up 1: Increases your max PP.

PP Up 2: Increases your max PP.

Tech JA Advance: Grants bonus damage when performing a Just Attack with a technique.

Mirage Escape: Disrupts sensory information and moves a set distance while invincible.

Just Reversal: Use the Jump action to quickly get up when knocked down.

FenixStryk has noted that if one uses a mirage escape while in the air, there is a shorter post escape delay than if one uses the escape on the ground.

Vent's Skill Tree Opinion:
    Spoiler!

Below you can find the link to Eclipse5632's original post where I obtained the information.

MAGICAL LINK COME FORTH!

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193026

Please help me out with this everyone. All I have to go on is information that you provide me. If I have made a mistake, by all means, please correct me. Credit will be given to only the first instance of each new piece of information. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jonth; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Credits

Randomness
    White
    terrell707
    LazyRob
    Spellbinder
    Polantaris
    Crystal_Shard
    Nanotae
    Mizumi323
    goombazoid
    Dinosaur

Special Thanks

Vent - For allowing me to steal his photos from his blog.

Eclipse5632 - For allowing me to use his translated Force skill tree image and info.

Arika - For the Technique showcase video.

Omega-z - For researching the damage mechanics of the weapons available to Forces, and thereby providing me with some of the best news I've had all day.
    Last edited by Jonth; Apr 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Sazonde appears to do two things:
    1) I do believe a slight increase in lightning damage occurs
    2) Using another lightning tech will set off the Sazonde charge on the enemy, dealing MASSIVE periodic damage. (On a rockbear, Sazonde to the head ticks for around 90/hit, and does 4-5 hits. My Zonde blasts only hit for 250)

It only hits a single target, even charged. But it doesn't matter, it does REALLY good damage if you can set it off.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    Sazonde appears to do two things:
    1) I do believe a slight increase in lightning damage occurs
    2) Using another lightning tech will set off the Sazonde charge on the enemy, dealing MASSIVE periodic damage. (On a rockbear, Sazonde to the head ticks for around 90/hit, and does 4-5 hits. My Zonde blasts only hit for 250)

It only hits a single target, even charged. But it doesn't matter, it does REALLY good damage if you can set it off.
    Thanks for the quick reply, and I will update the information.

Also, you forgot Grants and I think Reverser. Grants does what its PSO description says it does, deals heavy damage to a single target by pelting it with countless arrows of light. Reverser is the same effect as PSU; removing status ailments.

Shock: Stops enemies from attacking. They can still move though
    Freeze: Stops enemies from attacking and moving. Doing enough damage to them breaks them out prematurely though.

Sazonde stacks. If you land another Sazonde on an enemy you've already set one off on, it immediately goes off.

I had a rockbear with three separate Sazondes going at once just now. My current combo against them is now Sazonde>Zonde>Sazonde>Sazonde (100 PP used, if this all hits the head... KABLAMO)
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    Also, you forgot Grants and I think Reverser. Grants does what its PSO description says it does, deals heavy damage to a single target by pelting it with countless arrows of light. Reverser is the same effect as PSU; removing status ailments.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't even sure those two were out yet. Might I get a little bit more information from you since I didn't really play PSO? You say Grants rains down countless arrows of light. Does that mean it has an extended battle animation like Gifoie, or does it rain those arrows down all at once? Also, do the arrow count as only one hit, or do they hit separately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonth View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't even sure those two were out yet. Might I get a little bit more information from you since I didn't really play PSO? You say Grants rains down countless arrows of light. Does that mean it has an extended battle animation like Gifoie, or does it rain those arrows down all at once? Also, do the arrow count as only one hit, or do they hit separately?
    They rain almost simultaneously and each arrow hits separately, so its like a lot of small hits that add up to big damage. I saw reverser in one person's force video, its like a blue version of resta and grants was in the beta trailer. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Deband is considered an ice spell. I would assume that Shifta is likewise a fire spell.