View Poll Results: *A nice peaceful debate here would be nice, since this my first major topic*

I never played PSO o

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • PSO was the best, release epsiode 5!

10 11.63%
  • PSO was just better than PSU by a little

12 13.95%
  • The two are even

1 1.16%
  • The two can't be compared

28 32.56%
  • PSU is slightly better than PSO

5 5.81%
  • PSO can burn! PSU is the future!

30 34.88%
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

*A nice peaceful debate here would be nice, since this my first major topic*

I never played PSO online but offline, it was OK to me at most. I had fun but I had just as much fun playing PSU online. What truly made PSO so popular and made people hate PSU afterwards? I mean from a graphics, mechanics and clothing options standpoint PSU seems to be the superior. As I look through the forms, I see the most obvious reason for the argument PSO > PSU: more rare hunting. Were rares that importatnt? I am not taking sides here, but is there a chance that people don't want to open up to a new idea. I just want to know people's opinion so I can wonder if I was just a bit late on getting in to the community of PSO/PSU.

Please discuss here. (and take into account the release of PSU: AOI)

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

inb4flamewar

Erm, I liked the levels, actually. Each PSO level was a maze instead of a path. You had to figure out your way to the boss, often getting lost if you didn't keep the map close. Even if you did the same level multiple times, either the variance of the level would cause you to be continuously lost, or the the sheer amount of mazeness would do it.
    PSU's levels are much more linear, causing people to master the levels much quicker. It makes for boring gameplay in between battles.

Speaking of battles, I think PSO was more fun there as well. The monsters, despite being much more simple, always moved around and had a danger of striking. PSU's monsters strike randomly, and the strikes take a while to do. I could always figure out strategies for PSO's combat, but I can't do too much besides button mash Majarra in PSU.

Also, I liked PSO's fleshies and class distribution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-11-08 18:01 ]</font>

PSO is better offline, PSU is better online, end of discussion.

I hope not *hids under trash can*
    Real Heroes do not fight wars. They are born to prevent them.

Sorry for the horrible quality!
    Kenneth Silver - Male - Human - Former Guardian... for now.

The Unofficial PSOW Lolibrarian

The community. People were actually willing to help you out and share rares in PSO. PSU's community is so god damned greedy and self-serving that it's depressing. Item calls were respected in PSO, instead of getting you laughed at in PSU.

In games like these, the community makes the game. PSU may be better from a technical standpoint, but god damn is it way worse from a community standpoint.

On 2007-11-08 17:59, Remedy wrote:
    The community. People were actually willing to help you out and share rares in PSO. PSU's community is so god damned greedy and self-serving that it's depressing. Item calls were respected in PSO, instead of getting you laughed at in PSU.

In games like these, the community makes the game. PSU may be better from a technical standpoint, but god damn is it way worse from a community standpoint.
    Agree'd

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

By the way, I'd like to add this to counter-act the PSU baseless fanboyism.

If only PSU could be an eighth of what PSO was.

This was on a FFXI forum, on neutral ground. There hasn't been a single post like that on any forum that I've seen besides the PSU forums. So don't start with the "PSU was better than PSO in every way, and everyone who thinks otherwise is blind to the truth" I keep on hearing.

Another thing I liked about PSO was the quests, or at least the offline ones. Simply by playing offline, I felt a sense of accomplishment just by continuously running new quests through the same area. It was also a great way to get to know the PSO world, and get deeper into the story.
    So far, all that PSU's quests have done is show me that only your character is competent, and everyone has to have you cover up their mistakes. Either that, or some monster is attacking some area for some reason, and you have to stop it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-11-08 18:13 ]</font>

Guardian of Grants

The fact that in PSO had a story both online and offline was nice, I miss that.

PSU online doesn't have anything, you go to your room, take a boring tutorial and go out and gives hugs to Pannons. No messages from Red Ring Rico tripping out as you progress, no really boring chats with the president on Pioneer (okay, that we can probably skip, LOL), although the president at least gave some interest to the game. "There's something going on in the caves, a freaky monster! Oh noes! Please investigate while we monitor the planet from a safe distance like pansies. kthxbye" And then you find out about Dark Falz at the end, and you also had to go through that (annoying) monolith thing where you had to find all the keys to open the door to the Ruins.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2007-11-08 18:10 ]</font>

On 2007-11-08 18:07, Wallin wrote:
    The fact that in PSO had a story both online and offline was nice, I miss that.

PSU online doesn't have anything, you go to your room, take a boring tutorial and go out and gives hugs to Pannons. No messages from Red Ring Rico tripping out as you progress, no really boring chats with the president on Pioneer (okay, that we can probably skip, LOL), although the president at least gave some interest to the game. "There's something going on in the caves, a freaky monster! Oh noes! Please investigate while we monitor the planet from a safe distance like pansies. kthxbye" And then you find out about Dark Falz at the end, and you also had to go through that (annoying) monolith thing where you had to find all the keys to open the door to the Ruins.
    LMAO. I can relate to that. PSU offline mode is lame. But I heard that epsiode 2's will be much better. Then again, too little too late, I suppose.
    Real Heroes do not fight wars. They are born to prevent them.

Sorry for the horrible quality!
    Kenneth Silver - Male - Human - Former Guardian... for now.

I don't like crafting, or room decorations, or changing my characters clothes, so I only shop at the armor shop, the items shop, and the weapons shop in PSU, just like in PSO. I won't even use the grinders shop until AOI comes out, so that none of my items break.

PA's are a poor replacement for the strong attacks and special attacks that weapons used to have. Partner machines are a poor replacement for MAGs, and I don't like the fact that you have to attach spells to your wand, when in PSO your force could cast tons of spells, and never have to swap them out.