Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is it that every Final Fantasy game has crap quality music. What I mean is that they all sound like they should be on NES or SNES, not the new systems out there. I remember the first time I played FF VII, first RPG since Dragon Warrior(NES), and only seconds after the nifty intro I see Cloud and company jump off the train and beat up some guards, and nearly threw up when I heard the sound when Cloud(I think it was Cloud) kicked the guard. Then I noticed the quality of the music, it was horrid. I thought the music was well written but when you compare Aeris's theme from the game to the orchestrated version, you'll never like the game music again. I thought it would stop after VII but VIII did more of the same, slightly better, with the begining and ending music in full orchestra being the exception(which are GREAT!!!). The reason I bring this up is because I was recently listening to tracks from FF XI and it's more of the same, intro is good but the rest is not the same quality. To me video game music is VERY important, and when it doesn't hold up it can wreck the experience.

Rouge Leader on the GC is another example.
    "This plan is so bad it HAS to be ours."

Game music is important to push along the story, to put the gamer into the game world, and to increase emotional feeling while playing.

If the game music sucks, I usually play through it once with the game music, and any time after that I'll turn on some music on the comp as I sit here and play X-box, DC/whatever other system.

"Japanese Punk" by Hi-Standard is a great song to play during SFA3, Capcom vs SNK, and any other fast paced game =O
    Look, he did it again.

Cryptic Jester

If you want a rpg with good game music, I'd suggest you play Lunar 1 and 2. Final Fantasy is there for the graphics. There is almost no game with better music then Lunar 1 and 2 in my opinion.

FF isn't Bad It different for all people

Well people have different opinions on game music. With me, I happen to _like_ the FF7 and FF8 music, however I played it when it came out and I still like it because of that time.

With what everyone else is saying, game muic is essential for the gamer because it brings the moods and feelings into the game - which make it better.
    *lol* Okay, let's put it here, if I bought a game that had high-tech, state of the art graphics and it had dodgy music, ill hate the game for THAT reason. How can you concentrate in a game when the music is shitting you up the wall?

haha yeah I know what your saying...the music sounds likes its being played on a kids piano

and most of the songs sound the same just with an extra note in it....

but its all good

I do like alot of the Final Fantasy Songs, I have the soundtrack for VIII, but I just feel the "quality" is bad. It may just be some sort of software/hardware limitation. An example for that would be the new GBA Castlvania game, Harmony of Disonnence,(spelling?) they said they had to sacrifice music quality for better graphics. I wish Square could do the opposite for FF. Look at Chrono Cross & Vargant Story, the quality of the music is sooooo much better. It actually sounds like real music.
    "This plan is so bad it HAS to be ours."

And there you have another nice feature about the XboX.

Don't like the soundtrack? Change it to your own music.

I generally turn the music off....unless it's an RPG. Yes...I agree whole heartedly with the person who mentioned Lunar's music. Spectacular. It fits and enhances the game. It's funny.....but we were just commenting tonight on why the hell EA decided that rap music was perfect for the new Madden game? When I think of pro football, I ALWAYS think of rap music....NOT!!!

One of my personal favorites for overall sound and music is Shenmue.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

I'll never forget FF3/6's uplifting beats, melodies, and opera scores.
    Most of the good songs came with the game itself on a stand alone CD.
    (FF Anthology released in like 1999)

Yes, music should always help further the plot, fit the situation, enhance the gaming experience.
    FF's music is sometimes the highest quality in their genre. They do however re-mix old tunes way too much to the point where they aren't new at all and sound dated no matter if its remixed.

I certainly agree, Mr. Hayabusa, aka Gaiden, FF music scores are on the lines of compsong in epic proportions, I feel Nobuo Umetsu is the John Williams of the video games composers, as you may know already John Williams does recycle bits of his old scores from previous Star Wars movies, I feel when Nobuo or Williams generate the old mix, it brings back a little magic of an old tale told before! Peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CorneliusPower on 2002-10-27 01:51 ]</font>