Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Force and Ranger Balancing

After playing both Races I definitely feel that Force is the weaker of the two I'll give reasons as to why.

Force when using staff lets you fire 3-4 shots photo arts "PP" after that your PP has run out it takes about 10-12 secs before it replenishes, so you are then forced to run at the enemy and attack it with your staff. The problem with this is a hunter can do this job far better he has more health and higher attacks. Then to avoid damage you must run away use mana and then do it all over again.

Force does however have another weapon (name of which escapes me) it throws cards at them, it typically does less damage but lets you cast from a safe distance once your mana "PP" has run out. Unfortunately besides this being weaker you must stand still while firing Photon arts and non Photon arts.

Now compare this to Ranger He can move freely when firing with both normal shots and PP shots and seems to do just as much damage. In fact I would say more because his attack rate is so much faster While Force does big damage numbers the ranger is doing slightly less but 2X faster.

I suggest:

Staff:
    Letting the force chose between a melee attack and a ranged attack for staffs when using non PP attacks, but making him stand still while casting this ranged non PP attack as it does higher damage compared to the weapon that throws cards

Card:
    When using the weaker weapon that throws cards, letting the force move freely when casting non PP skills and PP skills.
    Last edited by MizaR; Jun 17, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Truthly I've thought about this recently.
    The only thing that could make the Force class work is with their PP tree skill being upgraded.
    Without it, it's not fun playing force. :c

Agreed its actually frustrating your PP runs out so fast and then your left attacking with your staff with low damage and getting owned with your tiny health pool. Meanwhile Ranger is sitting back whaling on them with no worries

I agree that forces seem a little under powered (and personally aren't that fun) but I found a fun way to play them with my FOcast that is pretty effective.
    basically it is support battle teching. I just jump into crowds of enemys and quick cast (not charged) RAbarta as fast as i can until im out of PP. that will ether freese anything in the area or hit stun them enough for me to beat them with my rod. then just keep the RAbarta blizzard going whenever you get enough PP for another cast. plus because your already close up, resta and shifa are a lot easier to use on teammates.
    It might only work with a CAST because they have higher HP and attack power, but it sure is fun!
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

For the PP problem you can use shoot things with a Gunslash to regain PP.

Better than running in and hitting things with your Rod.

It is true that when you do perfect attacks with the gunslash/staff/talis you get some more PP back then normal. There is a PP passive skill that allows you to regain PP while charging your spells.

To be honest about every skill/PA seems to stop you in place.

I do tend to use Gunslash while fighting things on my own or until I find a group of monsters that I should start using magic again. Though I could also just put the magic on my 1-5 hotkeys and just do it while holding my gunslash. (Mainly do that for healing and buffing).
    I normally set a weapon slot with full range magic. The other for full near me AOE damage. Then of course the gunslash which I normally keep the launch combo on 1 and change 2 and 3 to the shoot the grenade dodge combo.

We seem to be the only class that has to switch weapons to gain PP back quickly. Unless you kept the 1st slot clean so you can use the weapon's melee or range attack. Talis surprisingly pierces through enemies to attack the ones behind making it really nice to regain PP if you don't want to use the gunslash. The staff does normally have higher Tech I believe. However it doesn't really make enough to make one huge difference. If I can still make my Talis+ 5-50 however high it goes it makes using the staff seem less likely...

Maybe there's a passive skill in the tree that makes it cost less. That would be nice but I hate having to focus on a specific element when I need to change constantly. Making the skill tree more of a hassle since they force you to learn elements first in Pro-OBT unlike CBT. (Why the tree revision?) I just want to go with increase PP, PP charge, increase charge up damage(Charge Advance?), and the active skill Photon Flare.
    It would be nice if a uncharge magic attack takes less PP, if it does take less I rarely noticed. It seems to just take the same cost either way.
    Photon Flare doesn't seem to help much even though it's supposively gives you more TEC at the price of a "fraction" of your hp. Could increase damage by a small sum but the risk is being more of a glass cannon then you already are.

Anyway it would be nice if they make it easier to replace slot 1 with the melee attack again. I just hit the gear icon making guesses at the function.

I just wish the first thing a Tec base MAG does instead of making PP generate faster to actually attack and do some damage! The PP generation doesn't actually do anything if you're still attacking. Making that Photon Blast just about useless. (Or atleast to me. If I'm doing it wrong I'll like to hear it).

couldn't you just spam all of your spells, run out of pp, and then flee while shooting at enemies with gunslash to recover PP? i still agree overall though. force seems a little gimped. not too much but still gimped. it's barrels of fun though.
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

^

you mentioned passive skills? glancing at the skill tree there are things that seem to increase your max PP, things like "bolt tech pp save" and "charge PP revival" which has 1 point max may suggest it lets you regenerate PP while charging.

Course this chart may be a tad out of date, but yeah.
    Wryn from SPU

I didn't feel very strong while playing but maybe it was just cuz I was a noob.

Judging from older topics I digged up here they seem to have changed the skill tree for every testing. Probably looking for a balance.

I felt overpowered when it came to mob control truthfully. Also boosting the attack and deffence of others was useful.

Even though we can actually die a bit more easily we counter that with our ability to use Resta. (If we can have the time to charge it to be good anyway).

I almost forget to mention that it seems we're the only class that can do the freezing, burning, shock status on enemies. I could be wrong there. I keep forgetting that constantly freezing Vol Dragon made his feet stuck to the floor while he struggles for a bit no longer attacking. Only if more bosses were effected this greatly by status effects... I still want Grants/Gigrants.