Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Final boss guide

Since I've been running the non story mode boss version for awhile, I guess I might as well share the wisdom and make a guide on how to deal with him, as some people have said they have trouble with him.
    I'm doing this from recollection, so some things might be a bit off, but it should be correct for the most part.
    Of course this is not the only or fastest way to beat him, it was done from the viewpoint of a Hunter. If you're a Braver, you could also just drop some EX traps and watch the damage pile up.
    It is a pretty safe way of fighting him though, I almost never die when using this method.

First off, it's useful to have Confusion resist in this fight, since several of his attacks can inflict it and it's pretty annoying.
    The boss has two forms, form 1 is dark element, and form 2 is light. So it's useful to have the opposing elements for weapons, and the same elements for armour, but not required.
    Just try not to have the weakness element in either your weapon or armour, since that makes the fight a lot harder.
    Bring at least one decent ranged weapon that isn't light element as well.
    Also, don't use Mirage Blasts or their other race equivalents, since it messes up the camera angle.

In form 1 initially, he has 3 attacks, which are pretty easy to spot.

1: He starts with the attack where he stabs both swords into the ground and they will circle around the map.
    Reaction: stay in the center and they won't hit you, you have a lot of time to deal damage during this attack

2: Purple orbs spawn around his head. These will drop mines around the map, don't touch them, but they will detonate automatically after some time, if you are hit you get Confused.
    Reaction: stay in the center again and continue attacking.

3: He raises both weapons above his head pointing towards the floor. This will spawn a rain of rapid fire bullets that track you or your allies.
    Reaction: run the hell away. On normal with a good armor you might be able to tank it, but on higher difficulties it kills you in seconds.
    If he's not aiming at you, you can use this time to attack him.

Once you get him to low HP (his body will change a bit), he gets more attacks, not necessarily in the order listed.

4: Swords float closer to the ground, and then stab into the floor again. It's a variation on the first attack, but this time they track you.
    Reaction: run away til it stops, if they're not following you, you can try attacking.

5: Light pillars spawn around the map.
    Reaction: try to stand between the gaps, or use roll to avoid damage.

6: He starts shaking/convulsing and will emit big light beams periodically.
    Reaction: (perfect) guard them.

7: Purple energy surrounds his body, it will do an energy attack that hits once.
    Reaction: (perfect) guard.

8: His weapons turn into 3 legged things and move towards his sides at shoulder height. Both will shoot an energy attack
    that knocks you down if you don't guard. He will do this attack 3 times in a row, but there are some pauses of several seconds between the attacks.

Reaction: (perfect) guard and attack him between the shots.

The best time to attack him during his low HP phase is during attack 8, since the other attacks require you to be on the defensive most of the time.
    When you kill him, he turns into the second form.
    This form also has 3 attacks in a pattern initially.

1: He will start out by raising his hand above his head and doing a chop. If you get hit by this, you will get Confused. He always does this attack 3 times. After the third swing, don't stay around too long since he will float away and deal damage if he crashes into you.
    Reaction: learn to perfect guard this, and attack him between his swings, this is the best time to attack him.
    Edit: sometimes it's also possible to get behind him during this attack if he's not aiming for you. The attack won't hit you then, and during the 3 swings you have a lot of time to build a large chain and use a full PA combo safely.

2: He moves to the side of the map and spawns spinning bombs around you.
    Reaction: just destroy the bombs, and attack him while he's moving across the map. Stay away when he reaches the end, because he will deal impact damage again.
    I usually run up to him after he spawns the bombs and use a PA, so I can hit him and destroy the bombs at the same time.

3: He will float to the center of the map and sink into the floor, and swords spawn out of the floor periodically for each character
    Reaction: just keep running and they won't hit you, don't run into an ally for obvious reasons.

He will keep using these attacks, and once his HP is low enough, he adds several moves to his repertoire (although he stops using #2).

4: He moves to the center of the map, sinks into it halfway, raises his hands and spawns a ball of light in his hands, this will pull you towards him and deal damage. He usually starts off with this move, so it will notify you that he's low HP now.

Reaction: run away until its over.

5: He flies off to the side of the map and spreads his wings. This will start a rapid fire attack similar to attack #3 in form 1.
    Reaction: get to a side that isn't in his direct firing path immediately, since it's pretty much instant kill if you stand in it.
    So make sure to confirm which side he is facing, and move accordingly.

6: He goes to the center of the map again, and raises both hands above his head. This will spawn black pools around the map that deal a lot of damage if you stand in them.
    Reaction: pull out a ranged weapon, and attack his head in sniping mode. I usually chain up to around 15 and then finish with two charge shots.
    Don't stand in those pools since you will die, fast.

7: When he's really low HP, he goes to the center again, raises both hands and spawns a really big orb between his hands. The camera also zooms out. This will launch an attack that hits the whole map 3 times.
    Reaction: make sure you're facing him and hold block, heal between attacks if needed. If you know the timing of this attack, or if you're a daredevil, you can also try to perfect guard all 3 hits.

So in form 2, once he's low HP, he will keep using these few attacks, and usually follows the same pattern. Your best chance to attack him is with a ranged weapon when he uses attack 6. Sometimes he will use attack #1 too, take advantage of this and deal as much damage as possible, since you don't get many chances to melee him once he's low HP.
    All in all the boss isn't that hard, as long as you're being careful of attack 5 and 6 and move away according, and block attack 7, you can do this fight without failure.
    Last edited by Kurosu; Sep 19, 2010 at 05:08 AM.
    ”うーぅす, おはよー!
    あたしはミカ!
    今日も一日がんばっていこーね!"

Amazing, what a wonderful post.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

There's a non-story mode boss? 0:

Thanks for the pointers. Lord knows I need them, haha.

Curious, is there a suggested lvl that you would want to be at to take on that douche bag with more ease?
    I'm berserk-- I like it FINE! As long as I'm grabbing the headlines! Ahaha YEAH!

Molesting rappies..... vfloresjr24's Avatar

Thanks for the guide. I've been getting my ass handed to me by the last form. I died like 15 times already.

Form one, attack 5, you can get in close enough that the innermost beam misses you, and attack all out.

Truthfully though, the first form has so many openings its hilarious. De Ragan is harder to dodge.

Second form, attack 6, if you're fast enough you can drop an EX trap near him, and get 3-4 hitboxes in it.

Attack 7 is completely unforgiving, so you really want a scape doll for him. Or Vanguard's Half Defense skill, since that stops it from one-shotting you on the third hit.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post

Attack 7 is completely unforgiving, so you really want a scape doll for him. Or Vanguard's Half Defense skill, since that stops it from one-shotting you on the third hit.
    You shouldn't ever die on the final attack...

The first two hits are just there to soften you up . The third drops a fixed 80% of your life which will kill you if you didn't bother to block or heal the first two. Even if you suck at blocking, surely you can hold open the palette and highlight a monomate and fire it after the second hit before the 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceresa View Post
    You shouldn't ever die on the final attack...

The first two hits are just there to soften you up . The third drops a fixed 80% of your life which will kill you if you didn't bother to block or heal the first two. Even if you suck at blocking, surely you can hold open the palette and highlight a monomate and fire it after the second hit before the 3rd?
    See, the first time I saw that attack, I could have sword I popped the mate after the second hit. It might have been after the first only.

The second time I had Half Defense and just used a Tri after the attack.

Either way, its STILL a nasty attack.
    Coming Soon!

nice guide, just beat the story for first time. took a couple reloads on boss to get the timing down

Quote Originally Posted by Redpaige13 View Post
    There's a non-story mode boss? 0:
    -
    Curious, is there a suggested lvl that you would want to be at to take on that douche bag with more ease?
    Yep, he also appears in the last free mission in Crad-6, and you have a chance to fight a rare version of him there that is red.
    As for level, IIRC the boss' level scales with your own up to a certain number, so there is not much point in leveling up unless you get way higher than him, it's more efficient to just get used to his patterns.
    Only reason I'd have to grind is for appropriate equipment for this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    I never had trouble with this attack, since it gives you so much time to prepare for it.
    When the camera zooms out, just watch your map and make sure you're facing the boss and just hold block. Heal after the second hit if needed, but the attack doesn't really do a lot of damage if you're blocking.
    ”うーぅす, おはよー!
    あたしはミカ!
    今日も一日がんばっていこーね!"

Wow. I registered on this site pretty much just to thank you for this awesome guide. This fella has been giving me problems during the second form... and I outlevel him!