PSO-World.com Phantasy Star NewsPSOW ForumsPSU Items DatabaseGuides Database
Register Site Links FAQ/Rules Forums Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PSO-World.com Forums > Phantasy Star Online 2 > PSO2 General
Reload this Page Specs for PSO2?

Specs for PSO2?
Old
  (#1)
Arks Layer

Send a message via Skype™ to Kion 
Default Specs for PSO2? - 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM

So I know it's a long shot, since Sega hasn't even released any screen shots of PSO2, but I'm in the market for a notebook for school. What kind of specs do you think PSO2 are going to require?

Old
  (#2)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Send a message via AIM to Nitro Vordex Send a message via Yahoo to Nitro Vordex Send a message via Skype™ to Nitro Vordex 
Default 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM

A notebook would hinder you in almost any game. That said, get a decent laptop with at least a gig or two of memory. Dual core processor would also be a minimum. I can't help you much on graphics cards, as I don't know much about them myself yet.

Oh, and don't get a Dell.

Old
  (#3)
絶破烈氷撃

Default 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
A notebook would hinder you in almost any game. That said, get a decent laptop with at least a gig or two of memory. Dual core processor would also be a minimum. I can't help you much on graphics cards, as I don't know much about them myself yet.

Oh, and don't get a Dell.
What's wrong with a dell? I looked up some of their stuff and they look like powerhouses/gaming computers.

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." ~Assassins

Old
  (#4)
Neo

Send a message via ICQ to Neoistheone Send a message via AIM to Neoistheone Send a message via MSN to Neoistheone Send a message via Yahoo to Neoistheone Send a message via Skype™ to Neoistheone 
Default 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Based off current hardware available today, I would make it AT LEAST a dual core with a a GPU from the last 1-2 years, and 2+ GB of RAM, course I can say that with the system I have.

EVGA x58 Classified 759 Motherboard, Intel 990X CPU @ 4.2 GHz
Corsair 1200 watt Power Supply, 12 GB DDR3 Corsair
3x GTX 480's in SLi, Corsair 800D Case
Please Read, Connection Issue Template.

Old
  (#5)
Mitz

Send a message via MSN to Mitz  
Default 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM

For the best experience, you'll probably have to pay extra. A laptop with a dual-core and only 2 gigs of memory will probably not cut it. I'd go higher end.

Old
  (#6)
Arks Layer

Default 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM

That's kind of the problem with notebooks; anything with decent graphics is over 14" completely defeating the purpose of being portable. I guess I'll just have to wait. The game isn't coming out for a while anyways.

Old
  (#7)
PSOW Cultist

Send a message via AIM to Zyrusticae Send a message via MSN to Zyrusticae Send a message via Yahoo to Zyrusticae  
Default 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM

If you really MUST have a portable (and I stress this, I mean as in no other acceptable option), I must suggest getting something from Alienware or a similarly acclaimed brand. You CANNOT go for the cheap for portable gaming, at least not if you want any real performance.

Old
  (#8)
Kinda lazy...  ̄ω ̄

Send a message via MSN to Ezodagrom Send a message via Skype™ to Ezodagrom 
Default 11-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Doing a quick search on the newegg website, saw there a 14.5" notebook with a reasonably good enough GPU for some games.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157432

The CPU is a Core i5 460M, dual-core 2.53GHz, it has 4GB DDR3 RAM, and the GPU is a Mobility Radeon HD5650, which is comparable to the desktop Radeon HD5570, but with lower clocks.
Based on the specs, this notebook should be able to play some games that have low requirements with high settings (like the Call of Duty series), others with medium settings (for example Crysis should be playable at medium settings with a framerate around 20~30fps), and even some games with heavier requirements might be playable with lower settings.

Now about PSO2, since nothing is known about it, no one knows if it'll be playable in a notebook like this or not. If PSO2 is anything like the mess that is Final Fantasy XIV, it might be unplayable (or nearly unplayable) in this notebook. But if PSO2 is being done first with the PC in mind, I think it's possible that it won't have too high requirements like FFXIV.

PSO2 JP: Ezodagrom, Johana, Blune, Luppi, Lana.
PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ezodagrom
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom
Origin/UPlay: Ezodagrom

Last edited by Ezodagrom; 11-04-2010 at 11:30 PM..

Old
  (#9)
Arks Layer

Default 11-05-2010, 01:08 AM

O_O *looks at FF14 system requirements*

It's more about being able to play; I've perfectly fine with low settings. Ideally I think I'd like to get a vaio Y. The screen is 13" and it can be configured with a i3 330UM, 4GB, and a Radeon 4550. But really since I pretty much only use word for school an atom/ion combo would be fine as long as it runs.

But for notebooks, really anything over 14" you might as well build a desktop because you're not going to be hauling it around. Would it be cheaper to get a netbook for school and then a comp for games? That's kind of why I want to roll them together as 300$ or more for a desktop rig to play one game doesn't seem to be worth it. I guess we'll have to wait for news from the beta.

Old
  (#10)
Kinda lazy...  ̄ω ̄

Send a message via MSN to Ezodagrom Send a message via Skype™ to Ezodagrom 
Default 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kion View Post
O_O *looks at FF14 system requirements*

It's more about being able to play; I've perfectly fine with low settings. Ideally I think I'd like to get a vaio Y. The screen is 13" and it can be configured with a i3 330UM, 4GB, and a Radeon 4550. But really since I pretty much only use word for school an atom/ion combo would be fine as long as it runs.

But for notebooks, really anything over 14" you might as well build a desktop because you're not going to be hauling it around. Would it be cheaper to get a netbook for school and then a comp for games? That's kind of why I want to roll them together as 300$ or more for a desktop rig to play one game doesn't seem to be worth it. I guess we'll have to wait for news from the beta.
Well, a good mid-end gaming desktop, not counting with monitor and operative system, can cost around $600~$800 (depending on the specs). Counting with a monitor and OS it can cost around $850~$1050.
That plus a netbook (around $400?), I guess everything could cost you somewhere between $1000 and $1450, but a desktop would have better performance than any notebook out there. :\

PSO2 JP: Ezodagrom, Johana, Blune, Luppi, Lana.
PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ezodagrom
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom
Origin/UPlay: Ezodagrom