Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drawing the Body Lesson

Ever have trouble drawing figures, your PSU characters because you cannot understand how to draw bodies? Or just feel stumped about it?

Well, just remember that everything you see is developed by SHAPES on a PLANE.

This idea is a method taught to anyone trying to grasp the ideas of realism drawing but the concepts surely work for anyone who wishes to just draw for comics, animes, or whatever your case may be. Everything around you is developed by shapes.

In this very basic example, an apple. I can visually (or in this case use photoshop) to paint lines to see what shapes i see...

img: cs.iusb.edu
    The mainframe of the apple i can see it as rectangluar boxlike form with the edges being eggshape circles. Now keep in mind, these are crude, quick understanding sketches.
    The main advantage to seeing things as shapes isntead of objects, you DO NOT draw what you THINK you see. Instead you draw what you see in front of you. No 2 apples look the same so they shouldn't be drawn that way.

The human figure is just the same concept as the apple... but more complex. Remember, shapes.

model: Aerie.com Snowflake Boybrief Girl unknown

This girl, i can see quite a few quick shapes coming to mind.
    1. The girls body type is rectangular. It has 3 dimensions slightly since her breasts do not point directly at us.

2. Her arms and legs can be seen as cyllanders, they have the same ideal shape as that. That helps with forshadowing and anatomy studies in that regard however for the sake of simplicity i will exclude that.

3 Her chin to neck is a triangle. There COULD be a triangle shape in her crotch area too. Pelvis to the crotch.

This works for hands too.

hand image; predictfuture.in

Shapes should be the basis of getting the figure together, usually it isn't the conclusion. Use them to GET to your final figure drawing design.
    Most importantly, just keep going and try try try!

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

I'm having a very hard time drawing head shapes, and an equally frustrating time drawing hair, as well. I have trouble "drawing what's in front of me". I'm not too sure how to just let my mind go and stop trying to over-visualize everything.

NOTE: I just started to attempt to seriously draw for the first time in my life about 30 minutes ago, so I'm pretty much a scrub. So be gentle.

Its something you need to acquire. It took me 10 years to get to what i can do now. Its all about practice and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    Its something you need to acquire. It took me 10 years to get to what i can do now. Its all about practice and whatnot.
    Oh boy. That's discouraging, as I'm not a patient person, and tend to give up if I can't do something right the first few tries. Ugh.

I did come from anime style-> this so thats what took me.

I mean, if you just keep going you can get to a position YOU like and appreciate yourself.

Hopefully, but I just don't want it to look like complete crap. It's just that drawing (and art in general) take a few metric shit-tons of know-how and technique, and I can't even begin to understand any of it at this point.

I know I just started, but it's all a little overwhelming to me right now.

Well, if you can write, you can draw. So its not a matter of you CANT draw...
    you just don't like what you can do. That can be tweaked away with progressive practice

Great tutorial.

I've been working like that for almost a year now, and like that i've been able to draw anything without using reference. When I draw my comic, the first thing I do is drawing sloppy panels and blocks for every object/character.

It works because it's quit easy to draw perspective of simple shapes. It also makes it easier to balance the proportions. I encourage anyone to follow this tutorial
    Last edited by qoxolg; Dec 2, 2010 at 04:28 AM.

Nice tutorial, never seen so many little details within the frame. I always draw free hand, I only use those wires if I'm being extremely lazy in designing a pose. n.n; This gives me a new perception on the hands. Thanks!

Well, i guess doing it enough you can pullback from the obvious blockdrawing but its still a good idea to keep a hold of.