Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shoulder buttons

Yoo ^_^

From time to time I hear that people are having trouble with the shoulder buttons on their DS. Now this is very common and there is a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPioneer View Post
    The solution: Your breath.
    When your shoulder buttons stop working, cover them with your mouth and breath on it.
    The moisture in your breath with sharpen the contacts and your shoulder buttons should work again.

This technique is known throughout the DS community as "the kiss of life".
    This technique is VERY EFFECTIVE! Whenever the shoulder buttons on my DS stop working I do this and they start working instantly, sometime you might have to click them a few times but that is just common sense.

Hope this small hint helps ^_^

Edit: Few people have pointed out that they had some damage after using this for too long, so use it on your own risk. I personally have used it for over a year on my DS lite and I have not had any problems.
    Last edited by Norco; Jan 3, 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

+1 confirm. My DS lite still works fine and so do its shoulder buttons.

Mystelle - Level 100 FOmarl
    ~Art by Daggart~

Would be really nice if this could be stickied or mentioned in one of the stickied threads ^_^

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

I can also confirm that I've used this technique numerous times. I agree that it's a good idea to add this thread to the floating sticky for easier reference. Stickied.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!

Yeah, it works... for about 10 minutes, at which point it stops functioning again. I've tried the same trick with airduster to no effect, and even taken it apart to attempt to clean the contacts properly. At least in the old fat grey model, the sensors are enclosed in these little black plastic boxes. Besides not being able to get into them to clean them, I can't see where you'd get much direct airflow into them to clean off any dust either.

It's the humidity in your breath that seems to be doing the trick, and while it does work, I'm not that keen on filling up a failing piece of electronics with excess moisture.

If you're not that concerned with possible long-term damage, or plan to upgrade to a 3DS/buy a new DS sometime in the relatively near future, then go for it. If not, then barring a proper fix, my advise would be to simply swap the function of the broken shoulder button to place your pallet swap on a reliable button and then deal with the camera issues by moving it with character positioning. (Obviously this is only applicable to PSZero, and may not work for other games which require both shoulders.)
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Dec 15, 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Yeah after awhile they stop work all together so just getting them replaced is a good idea my dslights R button has completely shut down and so has the right side of the D-pad (go figure)
    If there is darkness in this world it lurks in the hearts of men

This is actually not a good idea in the long run. Back when I had DS lite, I did this. Sure, the L and R buttons worked, but the moisture buildup was there. Eventually, it started to mess with the system. The screen would wash white in the middle of playing, the system would shut down, etc. Same thing for when I had my DSi.

So far, my 3DS shows no sign of needing this very effective, but high-risk technique.
    I shoot with purpose; one shot, one kill.

AKA Sapphire of Chaos Chaos Rappy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X_LostXcausE_X View Post
    This is actually not a good idea in the long run. Back when I had DS lite, I did this. Sure, the L and R buttons worked, but the moisture buildup was there. Eventually, it started to mess with the system. The screen would wash white in the middle of playing, the system would shut down, etc. Same thing for when I had my DSi.

So far, my 3DS shows no sign of needing this very effective, but high-risk technique.
    I can attest to this. I just lost my DSiXL to such, not that long ago... now, at least I have my 3DS, but I don't think I would have HAD to replace it if I didn't try doing this as much as I should have, if I'd have known the long-term risks involved for such. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rappy View Post
    I've been a statistical exception as far as anything has proven to me.
    That's an understatement...
    ~Keeper of 1000 Rappy Souls~
    TSV's: X - 0401, Y - 0845, AS - 1277

I made a edit in the first post, so no need to point out this risk anymore ^_^
    Last edited by Norco; Jan 3, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

sorry to necro but my dsi right shoulder button stopped working i tried this and it works thanks for posting this.

edit this works temporarily so its not a perma solution.
    Last edited by Shambertin; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:35 AM.