PSO2 RAmarl Cosplay (UPDATES SPORADIC) -
06-16-2012, 01:58 AM
I've always liked making costumes and such, but usually if I make armor I tend to use those Pepakura files and patterns that people create using 3-D models, so this costume will be quite the challenge! It is also my first time using anything but polystyrene and/or Wonderflex, so please bear with me here! I'll post updates when I progress, which might be daily, or it might be weekly all depending on my schedule.
(Stock RAmarl, and the variation I'm doing)
Day 1 [6/15/12]
1-Tape: Really just used for taping together the paper patterns.
2-Scissors: Mostly for cutting the pattern.
3-Thumbtacks: Used to pin the pattern onto the EVA foam.
4-Sandpaper: Probably more than one grit, but today I only used coarse sandpaper to smooth the edges a little bit.
5-Box cutters and spare blades: The sharper the knife, the less you have to sand! I change blades almost constantly.
6-Sharpies: Both fine and super fine to trace the patterns onto the foam with.
7-Rulers and straight edges: Good for keeping straight lines straight.
8-EVA Foam: Essentially what I'm using are those puzzle-piece floor mats you can find at hardware stores. Usually they have a patterned side and a smooth side.
I traced the patterns using screenshots from the Character Creator in Photoshop CS3 and had to modify them to fit myself, so they probably aren't 100% perfect. I had to cut the pattern in half at the silly belly-button window since I couldn't fit it on one sheet (2'x2'). Then I just cut them out with the box cutter (sweeping motion, not sawing!) The cross-hatched areas are those that I'll need to wear down with a dremel tool.
That's really all I got done today. Cutting out the basic chest piece and sanding down the edges. I'll be using the caps from drinks like those bottled Starbucks drinks because there is no way in hell I'm going to handcraft 6+ of those little circles. XDD
Day 2 [6/16/12]
Didn't get much done except for doing a draft-pattern on the back piece. It is a bit difficult to find a middle ground between the concept art and final models, which differ a bit from one another. The way I pattern is also pretty messy, I generally just trace everything and then guess work the actual foam pieces from that and screenshots. Lots of trial and error!
Day 3 [6/17/12]
Turns out I got lucky and my pattern was pretty spot on. Cut some of the basic shapes on the back piece and started layering that bulkier area on the upper back. It is still pretty rough, since I haven't even rough sanded the cuts yet... I'll start doing the detail work soon, I just wanted to complete the chest/back armor as one piece, so I am making them at the same time. I am the worst photographer ever, and my phone is my only camera, said phone hates incandescent lights, and I'll get better pictures in the shop with florescents. FORGIVE MEEEEEE.
It might be a few days before my next update, since I need to go find myself a hand-held mat cutter to do these bevels!
@CelestialBlade: I'm glad you like them!
@DayDreamer: I can understand that...I honestly never thought I'd be this into making costumes, actually.
@Vintasticvin: The more PS-related costumes, the better! Good luck with finishing yours.
@Chaos-Shadow: Thanks! I was lazy for a while myself until I was at the local Harbor Freight and saw those mats were on sale, hahaha. Yeah, people usually use EVA foam for Mass Effect costumes or other similar costumes. I actually think you're on the right track with that. If nothing else you could probably give that hexagon pattern/texture by laying the mesh over foam (if both are white, I guess) and gluing it in place.
I'm probably biting off more than I can chew, but I'll be damned if I don't chew it anyway.