Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Developing A True PSO Game - Recreating The PSO Experience

Hello my name is Snipe.
    I have the ambitious goal to recreate the PSO Experience!

And I need YOU!

I am playing this game since 2001. I have a strong dedication to the game and recently came to the conclusion that it just won't ever let me go.

I didn't actively play PSO since the playerbase dropped in early 2013. But PSO's gameplay and community has influenced me so much, that it depresses me in way that SEGA denies to recreate the same experience.

Seeing how game modding and indie development is getting bigger and bigger I am baffled that PSO didn't recieve much attention.

The Vision Of The Project

The idea is to use PSU and mod it to be more like PSO mechanics wise. Or use a Engine to recreate PSO like Mario 64 is getting recreated in the Unity Engine by mjohansson who started a similar PROJECT HERE on openpandora.org. And he even wants to make it Open Source!

I am reaching out to people with experience in Modding, Programming and Designing.
    I am a programmer myself, however my most limited resource is time right now. Right now I try as hard as I can to mobilize developers and expect replies soon! As well as research into different game engines.

Please get in touch with me per: e-mail, Skype and Reddit, or here in the Forums!

E-Mail: [email protected]
    Google+: SnipeOrigin
    Reddit Post

Make sure to SHARE this with all of your PSO friends if you want this to happen!
    This is the biggest help anyone can do!

My Signature is out-dated.
    snipe
    Char: Female Android Hunter Lvl: 14+

Ship 2: "Ur"

Let's have a game of two?

If this runs in over 60 fps it will be amazing.
    I doubt we'll have enough people who will care about a PSO remake.
    Last edited by Rev+; Apr 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Thank you for the horse, Brandon.

going to call this out right now and say there is no way you all have the reverse engineering skills needed to make this happen. the most radical things done in this game are relatively uncomplicated when compared with recreating a game which you do not have the source to. the psu part is lol.

assuming you had the skills to reverse engineer things successfully: issue with this is the unlikelyhood of the game reproducing the game's mechanics at a lower level. even sega didn't get this right across different versions: see how snap aiming works so differently, aim tensioning, menu speed, slowdown etc have no consistency across platforms. the developers are likely to not be high level players who would notice all of the different minutiae of the game, leading to further problems. the lackeyccg project is cool because it actually emulates everything about the game that we know about e3, where there are so many unknowns about pso ep1/2/4 in comparison. we honestly don't even know how movement entirely works, as evidenced by more recent discoveries. the game is simply too complicated to recreate all of the parts that are necessary interactions (the ones relevant to core gameplay are all observable by the user save how the game rngs in ep3).
    Last edited by 9898; Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev+ View Post
    If this runs in over 60 fps it will be amazing.
    I doubt we'll have enough people who will care about a PSO remake.
    Actually the response after one day was surprisingly big and positive! I think there is a chance and I will take it!

Quote Originally Posted by 9898 View Post
    going to call this out right now and say there is no way you all have the reverse engineering skills needed to make this happen. the most radical things done in this game are relatively uncomplicated when compared with recreating a game which you do not have the source to. the psu part is lol.

assuming you had the skills to reverse engineer things successfully: issue with this is the unlikelyhood of the game reproducing the game's mechanics at a lower level. even sega didn't get this right across different versions: see how snap aiming works so differently, aim tensioning, menu speed, slowdown etc have no consistency across platforms. the developers are likely to not be high level players who would notice all of the different minutiae of the game, leading to further problems. the lackeyccg project is cool because it actually emulates everything about the game that we know about e3, where there are so many unknowns about pso ep1/2/4 in comparison. we honestly don't even know how movement entirely works, as evidenced by more recent discoveries. the game is simply too complicated to recreate all of the parts that are necessary interactions (the ones relevant to core gameplay are all observable by the user save how the game rngs in ep3).
    Actually it seems rather easy to recreate. But SEGA doesn't bother to since they can target a bigger audience by making the gameplay simpler and more straight forward.

Thats my guess as the AI and many other mechanics seem very simple but create a beautiful whole. PSO2 for example tries to be very modern, eliminating a lot of PSOs charm.
    Last edited by SnipePSO; Apr 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
    snipe

Quote Originally Posted by SnipePSO View Post
    Actually it seems rather easy to recreate. But SEGA doesn't bother to since they can target a bigger audience by making the gameplay simpler and more straight forward.

Thats my guess as the AI and many other mechanics seem very simple but create a beautiful whole. PSO2 for example tries to be very modern, eliminating a lot of PSOs charm.
    people are having trouble recreating flappy bird perfectly with good mechanical accuracy, how about pso?

Quote Originally Posted by 9898 View Post
    people are having trouble recreating flappy bird perfectly with good mechanical accuracy, how about pso?
    This project won't be rushed or finished as soon as a try-to-cash-in title like a flappy bird clone. But I like the subliminal insult to Flappy Bird which is a gross product of the current game-industry !
    snipe

I'll look out for support if you use betwixt and between songs as bgm. Preferably Skybreak for Realms of war

Edit: Feel free to use these songs in RoW aswell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rjFR0mvpo
    Last edited by Alfonquez; Apr 3, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Poor players penta, I hexa. Step2mylvl

I'll be harsh honestly.

So... Let me see if i understand

A) you have no idea how to build this
    B) you have little time to spare
    C) you have no gamedev expertise

Seriously? If you want to recruit people youll need a lot more than that. Like some decent minidemo or something

And aside from that...cloning pso? As a pso? No thanks. It wouldnt be the first fan/clone game sega kills. Remember that awesome sonic game? If you were to clone it at least put some originality on it

SnipePSO I think you should use PSU game engine as a base for over skinning/modding . You can take all element that was from psu and use the objects,item and weapons base of PSO for psu and by modding and screen title and character creation system. if you can manage to overwrite code and reprogram everything. You can then use the model that Sega used from there game when psu was online and use that as main base and try to duplicate the layers and other things they added to the game. but using PSO as reconstruction to its self that hole another level. when I was dealing with psu in the pass I notice a lot the characteristic of the game and including how the added a lot of the weapons and object was base of PSO and added to psu. u can use those object from psu remodel the game. but also that mean your making modded psu into pso..I think that not bad Idea. but also I think you should start to learn more on programing. I have to say by using Blender Game Engine give that texture for most the object.

Once u can figure how to do thing on your own then worry about recruiting people to help you.. but also you cant just come here asking for help and recruiting cause your not gonna find it here, your wasting your time here my friend what you need to do is. you need find real people with real programing skills level. I mean that cool you took the time asking about here.. but I say that very bad call my friend....

I know there other Ton of forum out there base on programing skill you should look threw.
    you can go here for answer and help with gaming development and programing.
    http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html

but don't bother asking it here on pso world fan forum your not gonna find it here. if your really for real about making and rebuilding pso. The gamedev is any skill level sharing just one tip or one technique that you have learned can help thousands of others become better. Even beginners can share information that is of use to other beginners! They created the Game Development Library (GDL) Project as a way to capture in one place all the great articles and helpful bits of information available online related to making games.

Literally thousands of great articles on game development are scattered on blogs throughout the net and you'll never know about them. Or even worse, if those blogs go offline they'll be lost forever. You should Join them in building up a library of both new articles and republished information.

The foundation of there project is sharing. You know what it's like to struggle and I'm sure there are still future challenges to solve that could use a little help from your peers. Every programmer stands on the shoulders of countless people whose work got them to where they are today.

Make sharing your mantra, and do it without fear. So many developers think they aren't enough of an expert to put your work out there. That's absolutely not true. Every single person has some level of experience they can share with others.

Many of the ideas that drive game development come in cycles and get recycled and refined over and over again. In fact, They have articles in our existing archive that still get widely used today. Techniques that you have picked up can be used again by other developers.great place to ask around for animation or how to get started with your own project..they do how ever they do have rules like don't ask for people to do your work for you. The site is only to help you get started on your project and deal with programing issue and trouble shooting at best and many more
    Last edited by JCGamer; Apr 4, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Exclamation PSO Esque Game Development - "Data Mined" Information Needed - Project: Phantasy

The game is in development right now by a small but growing team of 7 people.

But I could need help with technical data.

I basically want to analyze the game/combat mechanics and I'm sure someone already collected those informations from Data Mining or analyzing.
    I'm speaking of combo timings, recovery times in secs after attacks, time lying down after getting knocked down, etc.

Very picky details we need to consider for programming scripts.

Maybe one of you knows where to find this kind of data? It would make a big difference in time.

Thanks a lot!

- Snipe
    snipe