Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Server Situation Analysis Thread

I've been quiet for awhile, but that's because I've been continuously analyzing what has been going on with the servers, and because I think we need a dedicated thread to keep our analysis of the situation going.

I will also keep a running list of the working ISPs here, so that people can more easily tell at a glance what the hell is going on, and if they will be able to connect without a VPN.

Reference Threads:
    Spoiler!

Connectable ISPs: (Last Updated: 18/7/2014)
    Spoiler!

If you have another ISP that works, send me a PM with your ENTIRE traceroute from start to finish. You will know your traceroute has succeeded if the last hop (before timeouts) is the IP of the server or website. Use the list below to determine the hostname and IP you are looking for.

You can remove the first two or three hops from your traceroute if you wish.

Server hostname/IP List:
    Spoiler!

Additionally, If you have a good thread you think I should analyze and consider adding, please PM me the link and I will take a look at it.

----

What has been going on? It's difficult to say right now.

I will start by addressing what kind of block it isn't, since this continues to be a point of contention throughout the community.

IP Block: NO

If this was an IP block, no foreign IPs would be able to make a connection. However, foreign IPs can make a connection. Discussion over. Don't call it an IP block.

----

As for what exactly seems to be happening, it seems as though Yahoo.jp did something to our normal operating route. As a direct result, the route has been doing some extremely strange shit, including creating and breaking paths between certain hosts rather frequently, and generally not propagating beyond networks too far from the host.

Something to note: This is not isolated to the PSO2 servers. This is effecting ALL IP addresses in the range, exactly 512 in total. (210.189.208.0 to 210.189.209.255).

I highly doubt SEGA owns 512 IP addresses.

Technically speaking, this is because Yahoo.jp started announcing these 512 (prefix /23 for those of you technically minded) addresses into two separate 256 address blocks (prefix /25), thus announcing their network in a form that most ISPs won't accept. (One of the DSLReports threads has more information on this).

The /23 range still exists and is still being updated, but from what I can tell, the existence of the /25 and the fact that the IP seems to report as being contained within it is causing most of our ISPs to ignore the route. The end result is a route that exists and IS being announced, but is being ignored intentionally, save for the hosts that will willingly go through the /25, or those of them that are only aware of the /23 (such as Hurricane Electric).

The only definitive conclusion I can give right now is that whoever manages the Yahoo.jp backbone is completely incompetent.

----

What we can hope for:

* That Yahoo.ip gets their head out of their ass and stops announcing the /25s, which should cause all traffic to get routed through the /23 again, fixing the problem.

* That SEGA changes ISP to one that knows what the fuck they are doing, such as the one running their corporate website. (Amazon)

* That our ISPs eventually become aware of the /23 on their own and start routing through it rather then the /25.

* That someone else running on one of those IPs complains that foreign clients can't connect to his network anymore and calls them out on their incompetence.

----

More information can be found by looking at the DSLReports reference threads linked in the spoiler box. This thread will be updated as more information becomes available.

I would like this thread to remain free from bickering, general negativity, and trolling if possible.
    Last edited by TauAkiou; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Post reserved for any additional or important information that might not need to be part of the primary post.

Question then... Is it completely possible that Sega continues using Yahoo.jp and that Yahoo.jp never changes back to /23 (or whatever)? Also, what is the possibility of our ISPs eventually becoming aware of /23?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbancowgurl777 View Post
    Question then... Is it completely possible that Sega continues using Yahoo.jp and that Yahoo.jp never changes back to /23 (or whatever)? Also, what is the possibility of our ISPs eventually becoming aware of /23?
    It is entirely possible that SEGA might never change ISPs, and it is also entirely possible that Yahoo.jp might never change this setup. We can't really control anything that's going on over there, and unless someone over there points this out or complains hard enough, it could never happen.

There is, of course, always the possibility that the PSO2 servers might undergo another IP change, preferably into a range that isn't being managed by a bunch of idiots, but we can't rely on that.

As for becoming aware of /23, I have no idea. It depends on what the individual ISP happens to do. Like the others, it could never happen and is one of those things that is entirely relegated to the domain of luck.

Trinity's War Survivor DamonKatu's Avatar

Wow, It has been FOUR YEARS since I actually posted anything on here. But back on subject...

Thanks to social trends like Twitter and tumbler, one can EASILY spread this like wild fire IF done correctly. I'll see if if I can get this retweated, reported, and spread. Not sure if that helps, but, at least we all can get EVERYONE to at least notice this bu sharing this...

Anyways--POOF!! Gone again!
    "no matter the man, we all wear masks...either on our faces or over our hearts"
    -Godot.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonKatu View Post
    Wow, It has been FOUR YEARS since I actually posted anything on here. But back on subject...

Thanks to social trends like Twitter and tumbler, one can EASILY spread this like wild fire IF done correctly. I'll see if if I can get this retweated, reported, and spread. Not sure if that helps, but, at least we all can get EVERYONE to at least notice this bu sharing this...

Anyways--POOF!! Gone again!
    You could, but honestly releasing a bunch of technical information like that will only serve to confuse more people, since not many people really understand the actual, underlying nature of the internet. (I don't even entirely understand what's going on; I've learned enough, however, to understand, more or less, what's going on here, and now.)

We'd be better off trying to ask our ISPs to see if they can route us through the /23, because none of them are ever going to know the /25 exists.

Idk how to PM so i post everything here, the ISP is SFR France (ISP using its network must be able to log in [Laposte Mobile, Virgin Box]

EDIT : Im using Wifi connection of a friend neighbour, my ISP is Free, request time out when i reach Step 5
    Last edited by Poyonche; Jul 17, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

@Poyonche I also have SFR France as my ISP and I can't log in or access the main site. Any idea why? Here are the tracert, it stops just before the last needed step.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by TauAkiou View Post
    * That our ISPs eventually become aware of the /23 on their own and start routing through it rather then the /25.
    I will try this when I call back to them - granted the minutes on my phone - cause Comcast is still oblivious to what is going on when I last called about such. They said that they too weren't able to connect to it so that's a plus when i last called. Only suggested to get the reverse trace from pso2.jp but if its solely yahoo.jp then it should be easier for them to... correct it?

I'm on telecom New Zealand (in new zealand) and I can connect to pso2 just fine.