Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default KodiaX987's Nifty Guide to the Sig How-To

If you need to set up your signature for the first time, then you've come to the right place. Before doing anything though, please review the BBcode reference for this website. To do so, go to any Post or Reply form and click on the link BBcode under the text box.

TEXT!
    If all you need is a text sig, then you don't need much help. Forget you've even seen this topic.

PICCIES!
    That's what I am talking about. Now, before you proceed, you need to make sure your picture (or the combo thereof) fits under these maximum numbers:

• 600 pixels wide.
    • 180 pixels high.
    • 50000 bytes.
    • Must be in JPG or GIF format.

Again, just to make sure:

• 600 pixels wide.
    • 180 pixels high.
    • 50000 bytes.

And a last one for the road:

• 600 pixels wide.
    • 180 pixels high.
    • 35000 bytes.

To save your picture as a JPG or GIF file, open it using Microsoft Paint and use Save As to change its format.

-----------------------------------------------------

Okie-dokie. So you've found your picture, but now you need to upload it somewhere. That's right; you can't link right off your own computer. It could be possible with some techie techniques, but for the sake of simplicity, let's just say that linking from your hard drive is downright impossible.

So you need to find a webhost. Somewhere you can put that picture, and link to it. This part is not easy since most hosts don't like having their webspace stolen by forums. So if you plan on getting your pic onto any of these:

• Geocities
    • Prohosting
    • Angelfire
    • Netfirms
    • Tripod
    • XOOM/NBCi
    • And other popular/free hosts...

You'll most likely end up with your picture not showing up. Although it's possible to have the picture show up by using some fancy methods, it's not suggested, since it doesn't work on all browsers and the host will probably give you the boot anyways.

Your best bet is to use a site made for showing pictures. Places like:

• ImageShack
    • Photobucket

Are excellent places for that. If you have your own paid hosting, you could use that too.

Help! My sig doesn't show up!!
    Here are steps you can do to troubleshoot this:

• Check the address. Did you make a mistake while typing it?
    • Check your host. Is it down?
    • Check your host again. Are you allowed to use their connection space from another website?
    • Check your coding. Did you make an error while typing your code? Did you forget to close a tag? Did you forget a bracket?
    • Check what the sig might be showing up. Maybe a moderator edited your sig.

Hey, who took off my picture?!
    If you notice your sig is different than last time, that instead you see the words "Sig too big." then don't knock your head on the walls. That means a moderator saw your sig, checked it and found out it was over the maximum as set by the rules.

If that happens, first go ahead and make sure your sig is indeed under those maximums. If you are into techie terms, take note that 50KB does NOT mean 50000 bytes

Next, check the format. If it isn't JPG or GIF, edit it to end up with this format (I explained how above.) If you change the format, check the picture again to make sure it's under the maximum file size.

Once you are ready, re-post your picture and put it in your sig. If it gets edited out again and you don't know why this time, politely ask where exactly you messed up. Polite means:

• Correct spelling.
    • No run-on sentences.
    • No flaming.
    • No all caps.

If you don't know who's in charge, look up the Staff list. You'll know who are the admins and moderators.

Lastly, if you have any question on sig making, or if you want to ask comments about it, go to this thread: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...6&forum=12&329

How do I test my sig?
    You don't need to do anything. Simply go to a thread where you know you posted and go view one of your messages. Sig changes affect all posts that you've made.
    Last edited by Sayara; Aug 8, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

i don't get it, can you make it shorter.

no no, wait, it's retarded!

anyhow, nice guide kodi ^_^, though maybe it should be in fanworks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-04-29 13:05 ]</font>

I was first thinking of submitting it as a guide, but then your suggestion of sticking it in Fanworks is a much smarter idea.

-----------------------------------------------------

ADD-UP!!!

How do I verify the size of my signature?
    If you use advanced programs like Corel Photo Paint or Adobe Photoshop, sometimes it's possible to get a reading of the expected file size when you go ahead and save it. But that's only if you know how to operate the program really well.

So for the rest of us, do this: Open My Computer or Windows Explorer (whatever you like best) and navigate over to the folder where your picture this. Right-click on it and then click Properties.

In the properties window, you'll see the title Size within the specifications. What interests us here is the number within parenthesises. It should be under 35000. If you can't see any number in parenthesis, look at whatever size the window specifies. If the reading is in KB (Ko for the French) then make sure it's 34 or 33 just to be on the safe side.

ADD-ON!

Warning for those who change file extensions:
    My new sig was nuked because it was over the limits, even though, at home, I had made sure it was under the 35K limit. Trying to understand what went wrong, I repeated the process of the upload to see what the problem was.

The procedure had been: upload to Geocities, convert to TXT file for easy viewing, file downloaded by a friend, who uploads it to her webspace and converts back to JPG.

Playing around with the filename, I realized something really odd: the file size seems to go up whenever you change to TXT, and again whenever you switch back to JPG. Don't ask me why or how that happens, I have no idea.

So, if you plan on having someone else do the hosting, E-Mail the pic or leave it in JPG form. If you are going to wh0re a free webspace to host your sig, make sure the file size is STILL under the limits when you change its extension!

Anyone have a good site to find PSO cool pics? Thinking of coming to this site more often, and to do that, I need a cooler sig.

On 2003-06-24 11:37, Lyphen3 wrote:
    Anyone have a good site to find PSO cool pics? Thinking of coming to this site more often, and to do that, I need a cooler sig.
    This place has some good wallpapers and artwork to use, go to the downloads section or whatever.

peace

Janitor Extrordinaire

Thank you! Intimidacius is very happy now.
    A small peach is a small peach, but a peach is still a peach

On 2003-05-08 05:07, KodiaX987 wrote:
    ADD-ON!

Warning for those who change file extensions:
    My new sig was nuked because it was over the limits, even though, at home, I had made sure it was under the 35K limit. Trying to understand what went wrong, I repeated the process of the upload to see what the problem was.

The procedure had been: upload to Geocities, convert to TXT file for easy viewing, file downloaded by a friend, who uploads it to her webspace and converts back to JPG.

Playing around with the filename, I realized something really odd: the file size seems to go up whenever you change to TXT, and again whenever you switch back to JPG. Don't ask me why or how that happens, I have no idea.

So, if you plan on having someone else do the hosting, E-Mail the pic or leave it in JPG form. If you are going to wh0re a free webspace to host your sig, make sure the file size is STILL under the limits when you change its extension!
    thats pretty wierd.

Thanks for this guide. Good to know this stuff so I don't get that warning in my sig that my pic is too big
    The world is yours.

On 2003-09-16 21:04, Axispoint wrote:
    Thanks for this guide. Good to know this stuff so I don't get that warning in my sig that my pic is too big
    me 2