PSO-World.com Phantasy Star NewsPSOW ForumsPSU Items DatabaseGuides Database
Register Site Links FAQ/Rules Forums Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PSO-World.com

Forum
Fan Works
Features

Phantasy Star Online 2 Gameplay Video and Screenshots
By Ryna at 04/24/2011 - 9:31am
PSO2

The first gameplay videos and screenshots from Phantasy Star Online 2 were revealed to the public earlier today at the Japanese Infinity Gran Prix event. You can view the video below or on this Livestream page.

Jump to the 1 hour 59 minute mark to see the PSO2 Gameplay Video.

Based on the text in the video, Phantasy Star Online 2 will include:

• Randomized dungeons
  • Weather Effects
  • Third-Person Shooting Mode for Shooting
  • Jumping
  • Random Mission Events

HUnewearl
HUnewearl

In addition, the 4gamer website has several high-resolution screenshots! The screenshots feature close-ups of the user-interface, character designs, and cut-in-chat. If you look closely, you'll see Section IDs on the player outfits! You can the screenshots here and on the 4gamer website.

Four players in a Forest setting
Four players in a Forest setting

Credit goes to xBladeM6x for providing the video link and Mike for providing links to the screenshots. You can join in on the discussion in this forum thread!

by DieannaKill on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 9:35am
DieannaKill's picture
YESSSSSS <3 Hope i get in the alpha :D

by Endu_Landale on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 10:13am
Endu_Landale's picture
Oh my, I think I just dropped a load of rainbows in my pants.

by Ovada on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:25am
Ovada's picture
#winning, lol Best comment ever XD

by Keyblade59 on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 10:16am
Keyblade59's picture
If this has already blown me away I wonder what the rest of the game content will do, lol. So happy to see PSO2 screenshots, and can't wait to see what else they will have instored.

by Keyblade59 on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 10:16am
Keyblade59's picture

by Vintasticvin on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 10:46am
Vintasticvin's picture
WOWZA the HUnewearl looks.... Skimpy but attractive >_> and hoping for new areas rather than the big four (Forest, Cave, Mines, Ruins) Hopfully Sega keeps rolling this good and all you nay sayers HUSH we dont want your hate jinking Sega >___<

by Ark22 on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 10:56am
Ark22's picture
rpgsite.net/news/1080/phan­tasy-star-online-2-details-rev­ealed.html It mentions alot of great details.Was up for 3 hours now.Check it out.

by ChronoTrigga on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:18am
ChronoTrigga's picture
I just splooged my e-panties.

by Ovada on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:28am
Ovada's picture
Is it bad that I'm most excited about cut-ins making a comeback? n.n I love those!

by Endu_Landale on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:58am
Endu_Landale's picture
No, not at all. My brain exploding from how detailed those cut-ins are :p

by Neo Flint on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:35am
Neo Flint's picture
No screen shots for casts? ._.

by Ovada on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 12:58pm
Ovada's picture
Methinks it's because they're crazy-awesome as always, and they were afraid that they would steal the show XD I'd love to see what kind of SUV-ish mechanic will be introduced ^^

by Vashyron on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 1:50pm
Vashyron's picture
There is artwork at the start of the video on "RAcasts" and "RAcaseals" presumably.

by blackmajik2021 on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:40am
blackmajik2021's picture
stoked to see the designs arent like psu generic shlock! the hunwearl looks pretty rad

by Aeiku on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 12:18pm
Aeiku's picture
The designs look the same as from PSO which is awesome.

by Endu_Landale on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 1:05pm
Endu_Landale's picture
Yes that is definately a huge bonus to me. I love that they really listened and went with a more serious/detailed art style like PSO. The updated Humar armor really did it for me. Plus in the video I noticed the music was more PSO like and I loved it, they flashed BGM on the screen a few times so I'm guessing they're going back to PSO for that one too. Oh man, I thought this month couldn't get any better after the huge reveals for Mass Effect 3 but I stand corrected.

by Vashyron on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 12:24pm
Vashyron's picture
Definitely hyped for this.

by Endu_Landale on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 1:06pm
Endu_Landale's picture
Sakai-san, I'm sorry for ever doubting you :)

by MegaZoneXE on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 2:50pm
MegaZoneXE's picture
Anyone notice no mags yet?

by HUcast_Josh on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 3:01pm
HUcast_Josh's picture
Holy Freakin' cheese nipples! Better come out on 360!!!

by goldbrease on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 9:10pm
goldbrease's picture
by what joystick lists: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/24/phantasy-star-online-2-details-revealed-we-jump-for-joy/ its been announced as PC only.

by Pentence on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 6:25am
Pentence's picture
le gasp this means ACTUAL updates no disc release stuff n tons of rebalancing

by Lunariancrystal on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 3:11pm
Lunariancrystal's picture
Looks like they merged PSU art with PSO art a little which is fine. The fact that you can jump is pretty cool imo if it works well. I hope you can't just jump up on a cliff to hide from an enemy. Regardless I'm looking forward to this. Oh yeah...The music isn't retarded anymore like in PSU. If that song in the background and at start was from the game music at least! :)

by Ryoten on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 3:12pm
Ryoten's picture
Hold on, I'm going to need a clean-up crew for this one...I came everywhere just seeing those visuals & weapons.

by Akaimizu on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 3:30pm
Akaimizu's picture
Impressive so far. That's all I have to say. (Though the funny in me wants to say, "Pig tails that move more independently and realistic. Oh yeah!") Still, it's interesting that while the face portraits are up in chat, the head is still animating like the action character in play. The music definitely throws more of the dark electronic sound in there, you can definitely tell that (at least the piece shown) they were really trying to go for that more experimental (PSO) type of compositions.

by Seasqwaa on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 8:13pm
Seasqwaa's picture
Which, as for the music, is great in my opinion! Well, not quite what I heard in the video perhaps, but I really loved all of PSO's music. It was far more interesting than... *sigh* anything in the PSU universe.

by r00tabaga on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 3:40pm
r00tabaga's picture
Not to be Debbie Downer, but where's the MAGS ??? This is PS-"O" isn't it!

by Endu_Landale on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 5:41pm
Endu_Landale's picture
I'm not jumping to conclusions yet, but I saw that too. I think that what they've shown so far was just a display model though. Notice how both the hunters had the same weapon model as a demonstration...although the rangers combined had three different guns...hmm. But regardless I still think there's a chance for it to happen.

by Kevin PSO on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 4:35pm
Kevin PSO's picture
Looks like the atmosphere of PSO mixed in with the style of PSU. I'm not sure about this; especially since as of now it isn't coming to consoles. I do however think that they're heading in the right direction, and more towards the greatness of the original.

by lostinseganet on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 5:04pm
lostinseganet's picture
More than 4 player coop PLZ! Look at serious sam with 16 player its soo fun, but please more than 4 MORE!

by Lycurgus on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 5:58pm
Lycurgus's picture
I was waiting forever to hear about and see PSO2 in action. Ever since the announcement awhile back I've been waiting anxiously. This looks like it's going to include all the things I was hoping for in combat (Jumping, Dodging, Air-juggling, etc.) I'm sure this has been noticed already, but after taking a close look at the UI from one of the pics. But it looks like you'll be able to use multiple Photon Arts/Skills per weapon this time. That's what I Gather at least, which would be a very good thing imo.

by Para on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 6:18pm
Para's picture
Oh sega, you always deliver a smexy HUnewearl or some kind of smexy newman for me.

by Skye-Fox713 on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 8:26pm
Skye-Fox713's picture
OHHHHH MYYY GOOODDDDD!!!!!!!! Love the screen shots and will start watching the video in a few seconds but I'm loving it already. Beasts or no Beasts i'm loving it. So after I had scraped my brains off the ceiling and changed my pants... I absolutely love what they have done with the shooting and I'm loving the way the it looked like the guns are working where guns have a magazine that you can reload with is really bad ass looking and loving the look of the rifle that was shown. Jumping defiantly a great addition to the game. Weather effects, random dungeons, amazing I can't wait for it to come out. This puts all the other games i'm waiting for to shame.

by ANIMEniac on Sun, 04/24/2011 - 11:16pm
ANIMEniac's picture
PSO x PSU x Monster Hunter x Lost Planet 2 /love forever! (i literally could not smiling randomly for 2 hrs after hearing the news)

by FirefoxKyuubi on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 1:01am
FirefoxKyuubi's picture
This looks so amazing...Gunner looks actually fun!!!! I can't tell you guys how happy I am to see this game refreshed and replenished.

by Vashyron on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 4:48am
Vashyron's picture
Oh and if anyone doesn't recognize the artwork at the start this is what they are: Video art seems to have a HUmar, HUnewearl, RAcast, RAcaseal, RAmar, RAmarl and a FOmar & FOmarl on the same slide. In that order. If I'm wrong correct me.

by bns1991 on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 8:41am
bns1991's picture
This is great news! I have been waiting for screenshots for a while now and they did not disappoint. I like the PSU style graphics and the way that they still kept the original concept that made PSO so popular amongst its most loyal players. Looking forward to the release!

by Corey Blue on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 9:54am
Corey Blue's picture
We'll get more info at E3 June 7-9,GLOBAL SERVERS PLEASE

by GreenArcher on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 10:34am
GreenArcher's picture
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nerdgasming so hard!

by Gunslinger-08 on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 1:52pm
Gunslinger-08's picture
I just peed my pants. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOKED NOW!!!

by Noxia on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 2:20pm
Noxia's picture
FEAR THE POUNY !!! Cuz this game is allready mine ! o.o I'll pouny you !

by Pioneer1111 on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 3:44pm
Pioneer1111's picture
Wait... we get to jump now?
AWESOME!!!

by Rukyius on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 7:02pm
Rukyius's picture
C...cant m...move too m...much.

by ColonD on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 9:34pm
ColonD's picture
Monster 1: What's that hopping up and down on the horizon? Monster 2: Hunters, they don't walk or run anymore, just jump excitedly.

by Overlord Zenon on Mon, 04/25/2011 - 11:29pm
Overlord Zenon's picture
No offense, graphicly looks fine, but its coming off as a more generic MMO now then anything, same generic Hit numbers, tiny Gui, the ability to jump now, and the forest looks a little liner, lets hope this is just an early build, and they try to have some diverse monsters, and not reuse animations of multiple models, as well as recolors

by Aeiku on Tue, 04/26/2011 - 2:52am
Aeiku's picture
Generic or not is fine to me as long as it has the awesome adventurous feeling from the first PSO I'm happy.

by Endu_Landale on Tue, 04/26/2011 - 8:11am
Endu_Landale's picture
Agreed, I think we need to keep optimistic over several early alpha screens and a short video.

by ZeldaSerenade on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 5:21am
ZeldaSerenade's picture
That was the first thing I thought too. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the "generic MMO" interface. Hopefully the gameplay will make this irrelevant.

by TK38 on Tue, 04/26/2011 - 12:44am
TK38's picture
Playing PSU never quite did it for me. The casts looked too organic and not robotic enough. The new humans went from looking like mad court jesters and gruff biker chicks to looking so overly saturated with cutesiness that it wasn't a matter of if but when I'd start hitting my head against the monitor. As for what I've seen from PSO2 so far, I'm not too thrilled about the new human hunter outfit but it seems to be a step in the right direction. Overall, I remain optimistic that there will be multiple aesthetic options to choose from and that those options will be ones that bring back some of that PSO goodness.

by Ovada on Tue, 04/26/2011 - 10:20am
Ovada's picture
I personally liked the organic look, but in my head- I just wanted some sort of cast-like parts for my RAmarl. I think casts did look like robots, but they didn't feel like robots, if that makes any sense. In PSO, they had better vision, regenerating parts, built-in trap dispensers, etc. In PSU, they were basically humans with heads that rotate differently. I would love to see some cast-only parts, making me more like a tank XD