PDA

View Full Version : Previous Phantasy Star gamers

Vejita
Nov 27, 2002, 03:37 AM
I just wanna know who here played games of the Phantasy Star series before coming to PSO.
i know lots of you have.

I myself knew nothing about the PS series before playing PSO, but i learned about them a while ago and am now in the middle of PS4, its so friggin fun.

Vashin
Nov 27, 2002, 03:41 AM
i played PS4 but that was it.

chiyosuke
Nov 27, 2002, 08:00 AM
I played PS II, III, and IV. They all offer craploads of fun, something you do not see in Final Fantasy series anymore.

My personal fave was II and III. I mean I love the characters in it. Nei and Amy was my favorite from II and Laya and Maia was my favorite from III. Rika was my favorite from IV. Too bad she fell in love in some punk named Chaz who couldn't change his own diaper.

If you enjoy IV, then try out others. There is a lot of history behind Phantasy Star series although all of it may be convoluted.

Kupi
Nov 27, 2002, 08:29 AM
Played PS2, quit early on. Why? That dang flashing red screen whenever someone got hit. I couldn't stand it.

Played PS3, quit early on. The plot just failed to hook me.

Played PS4, beat the whole thing. PS4 avoided both the above problems, and had a cool storyline to boot. That, and it helps explain the origin of the PSO ships, if it weren't for PSO calling the planet "Coral." :/ (Did anyone else find that dungeon?)

RavenTW
Nov 27, 2002, 09:13 AM
I have played all 4 PS games, although it was after starting PSO. Never got into 3 though.

haterade
Nov 27, 2002, 09:25 AM
I've played III before, and cleared it... the cool thing about that was the various character combinations you could come up with, depending on who you marry...

Naer
Nov 27, 2002, 12:20 PM
Played a bit of PS 1 and finished PS 2 - 4. Awesome series too bad ST made a diablo clone instead of continuing with a PS 5, but it's still fun.

MilkManX
Nov 27, 2002, 12:37 PM
I have beaten PS 1-4 and was anxiously awaiting PSO when it was announced for DC. I love it and hope that Sonic Team does do a PS5 someday. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jae
Nov 27, 2002, 12:52 PM
PS2 was my favorite of the series, and had my favorite characters: Nei and Rudo. Great story, great gameplay, great charcters, crappy ending lol.

PS3... I hated this one but still played through it once because it was Phantasy Star. Neat idea with the generations and different characters and all, but the execution was bad. The ambient music put me to sleep every time.

PS4 was fun, but didn't hook me like PS2 did. This one seemed too simplistic and straight-forward. Rika was my favorite of course, but Chaz just killed the game for me. He was annoying.

flux-equals-rad
Nov 27, 2002, 01:26 PM
ive played through II and IV..ill have to give III another try, it just seemed so clunky when i tried it..couldnt play through the first one, first person views make me dizzy... X P
btw II is my personal fav

charr
Nov 27, 2002, 01:27 PM
So is the Phantasy Star Collection for GBA a good buy then?

Kalbelgarion
Nov 27, 2002, 02:22 PM
I'm a BIG Phantasy Star Phreak. I've played all the translated Phantasy Star games (PSI, PSII, PS Gaiden, PS Adventure, PSIII, PSIV, PSO). The Phantasy Star Saga is the greatest video game series ever created. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (IMHO, of course)

I've even typed up a handful of theories that explain how PSO connects to the other PS games. (Link's in my profile)

eRUPT
Nov 27, 2002, 02:48 PM
Yeah I've played all the phantasy star's I had a sega master for the sole purpose of being able to play PS1. PS2 remains one of my alltime favorite rpgs. So yes my reasons for getting into phantasy star online were from playing the original ps's.

mystic_knight
Nov 27, 2002, 08:32 PM
I played III for about all of 10 minutes. I was gonna play more but i accidentaly deleted it and couldn't find any more translated versions. But im waiting for phantasy star collection to come out so i can them a shot. i think it was III that i played...not sure, all i remember is using some girl with a boomerang that hit all enemies, that was kewl but the over the shouldre view annoyed me.

Whatley
Nov 27, 2002, 08:45 PM
I played all four of the Phantasy Stars before playing PSO. My favorite one was IV.

Kalbelgarion
Nov 27, 2002, 09:20 PM
On 2002-11-27 17:32, mystic_knight wrote:
i think it was III that i played...not sure, all i remember is using some girl with a boomerang that hit all enemies

That would be Alys, from PSIV, that you remember. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hapsby
Nov 27, 2002, 09:38 PM
I played the first one and loved it. Didn't have any consoles between SMS and PSX, so I didn't play any 2, 3, or 4. When I got PSX, I heard of a game called Final Fantasy VII. I thought maybe it's like Phantasy Star... but I hated it. Way too much story, FMV's, far away save points.

When a new Phantasy Star came out for Dreamcast I was very happy. It was more to my liking then any of the square RPG's since, it was more about action then story and movies. I don't know why I don't like most RPG's anymore. I guess I'm just too old and impatient to play them now.

I "previewed" the game for GBA yesterday with visual boy. It looks like the games were ported very well, like the mario games. I'd have the real cart already, but my GBA is far away getting a backlight installed. So, um, yeah I think it's a good game, well 3 games to get. Hell the original game was like $80 back when it first came out.