PDA

View Full Version : How much are you selling yourself to meseta dupers?

Reiichi
Jan 3, 2007, 04:04 AM
You know they are out there. You know people have too much money obtained through whatever means. You know what they want by the ridiculous prices they pay.

But that's okay right? You didn't dupe. You didn't hack. You're just selling your stuff to people who have too much money and are getting a piece of the duped meseta pie.

I was browsing through trade forums and saw an item up for sale, but one that received offers of max meseta. What if you had an item that meseta dupers would offer max meseta for. I mean, it doesn't cost them anything since they just dupe it. And maybe it cost you a little bit since it was hard to get, but surely with 100 million mesta you'd have no problem getting another through hard work or synthing right?

One comparison would be if you got some rare unit like a ME / Quick or Haru / Quick nowadays. Getting another would be very difficult because noone sells them, thus you'd have to find yourself another.

What about 50% weapons? How many are sold and for what cost? 10m? 25m? Obviously ridiculous prices, but a meseta duper doesn't care. You could easily start up a 36 board factory with that kind of money and keep it going for a while to get possibly another 50% weapon and countless other 44% or 38% ones. It just feels... so empty. Your PM turns into a slave for a meseta duper. I guess that's why nowadays people prefer to deal with weapon trades rather than selling, but it's not hard to get in on that market either with duping meseta.

Elemental photons, kubara wood, alterics, high elemental % weapons, whatever crap comes out of LL S and FFF S that turns into those sabers, grinders, fans. All overpriced, but how many of us don't seem to care anymore. We pay our 2.5-5k for ray-photons because we need them, and because we sold some jao pieces for ridiculous amounts, or deljabawhatevers for ridiculous amounts. We farm certain items because we know there are some people who pay a ridiculous amount for them.

So when the time comes when you have something rare that 'they' want, when money doesn't matter because it can just be duped whereas your item can't. Do you hold onto your soul or do you sell it?

I had 2 8* boards going today. Out came back to back 50% ones of the same element (what are the odds really). Although having 2 of the same weapon is nice, it is not necessary to me and wouldn't be a huge loss. The temptation to sell the weapon for a ridiculous price (and it probably would sell) is present, but somehow I know I'll just feel empty afterwards with my millions and millions of freshly duped meseta.

DarkSeph
Jan 3, 2007, 04:10 AM
I agree that it is wrong what is happening......people selling items for wayyyyy too high a price for those who got their meseta legitimately to afford.....yet the meseta dupers can buy it like penny candy. And they don't think it's wrong cuz "They" didn't dupe the meseta.... I have already addressed this several times and what it really comes down to is a few simple facts..... This IS a game afterall so despite how it makes people feel years from now it wont matter..... and HONESTLY even if people put their items up for sale at the appropriate prices the dupers would just laugh even harder when they bought them.........so take your pick!?!

In the end......either a fix needs to be made or people can move to the 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And I'm not saying the 360 is unhackable....I'm sure if someone tried "hard" enough to get themselves into a whole @#$%load of trouble they COULD...possibly...maybe....do some little annoying hack.....little...hack....http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But yeah...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkSeph on 2007-01-03 01:13 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Jan 3, 2007, 04:13 AM
Yeah, this is what messes the economy of MMORPG's up.

ChocoboChad
Jan 3, 2007, 04:19 AM
I don't even have a shop...

I'm getting one, though.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 3, 2007, 04:21 AM
I can honestly say the highest thing I've ever had priced in my shop is a relic's edge for 200k, which still sits there to this day. I doubt anyone will buy it for 200k, which is fine, I may use it myself. If someone does buy it, whatever

THE JACKEL

Cid410
Jan 3, 2007, 04:25 AM
I set my prices at below 50% of NPCS and for items that you can't buy at NPCs I dont jack the price at all. Elemental Photons are 40, because that's what they should be worth. Yeah I could sell em at 500 each or more, but it's not right. That said, I have sold out a bit, because ray-photons I put up for 500. Still compared to everyone else, I'm cheap. I hate the price gouging. It is, as omegapirate says, killing the economy.

Carbinne
Jan 3, 2007, 04:32 AM
As far as I'm concerned, as long as there are no bad side effects from selling at a high prices, people will do it. Me, and a bunch of others, will take advantage where possible. Until Sega does something to change things, there will always be someone willing to sell something impossible to get for far more most can get -- and cater only to people with huge bank accounts.

I still think it would be funny for Sega to just make all meseta drops over 1 mil and blast up the NPC prices accordingly, if only to screw with a skewed market.

ViciousXUSMC
Jan 3, 2007, 04:57 AM
off your soap box now? we all have heard it before, bottom line is we all pay to play the game we want. Nobody has the right to say how/what anybody does with there time or money/items in the game.

Its not wrong to sell an item high, its not wrong to sell one low, but since things cost alot, it makes sense to make alot.

If you can sell an item high, you an afford to buy one high. The economy has just changed and the people that wont adjust to the economy and want to continue to buy goods at a low price and sell at a low price will find themselves behind. But thats there business.

Let the dead horse lie with all this duped meseta garbage. Go play the game or stop playing, but by all means stop the whining!!!

Jae
Jan 3, 2007, 05:00 AM
Meh. I once deleted a 130-something RAmarl because I had knowingly maxed out her stats with duped mats. I restarted that RAmarl with the same name, refused to trade and only used things that I found myself across multiple characters. I did pretty well I might add, scoring some elusive drops like a Yas 7k, Spread Needle with hit%, Aura Field, God/units, among many other things. This was years ago on GC PSO.

Nowadays I find it hard to care where my meseta comes from as long as it comes in through my store. While I still won't accept free meseta, I'll be damned if I don't charge good chunk of change for a decent rare that's in demand. I probably haven't "sold myself" too much to the dupers yet since I'm a mid-level, but I wouldn't have any issues selling a Deljaban Blade for the millions people are charging for it now.

I guess my priorities just changed over the years. I have other stuff to worry about without mulling over the origins of my money in a videogame. You bet your Pritia Shorts that I'm happily aboard the Ray-photon train.

Vuman
Jan 3, 2007, 05:22 AM
On a more ideal and less probable case, maybe people don't want to create characters over and over to feed their Partner Machinery. Just buy corn equipment from stores.

Superguppie
Jan 3, 2007, 05:43 AM
Whenever there is players trading, there is players ripping eachother off. I learned my lesson a while ago. I hardly use the trade systems in games. I know it makes me miss a part that has a nice thought behind it. I also know that a game that doesn't have anything interesting left if I leave out trade isn't a game I would like anyway.
In Final Fantasy XI I can sign the things I craft. I wear my own crafted gear with pride. Ofcourse, people don't see I also farmed up all the materials myself. But at least they can see I didn't use trade to get the stuff itself. Might be an idea for PSU?

etlitch
Jan 3, 2007, 06:01 AM
I like the name of this topic.

ViciousXUSMC
Jan 3, 2007, 06:33 AM
I like pie...

well not really its too peralous

Wash
Jan 3, 2007, 06:40 AM
Is the meseta duping happening on mainly on PC/PS2, Xbox 360, or is it spreading throughout both? My 360 broke a couple of weeks ago (about a week after we got the newer weapons [cards, grenade launchers, etc.]), but before that I didn't see or hear much of this duping craze (actually in the game; I'm keeping up with it through the forums). Prices were high in shops, yes, but still fairly reasonably priced. I'm just wondering if there is a community that is relatively duper-free (I know I won't escape them completely), and maybe switch to it (or stick to the 360 version if that is the lesser of all the evils).

Miriya
Jan 3, 2007, 06:53 AM
Why are ray-photons selling for so much?

Pentence
Jan 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
Well icater to the lil guy and always have i keep it fair no matter what.I have all items at 50% npc OR player going rate period.I admit on two occasions i sold things fora bit more BUT each time it was to get boards to make more weapons to sell at half price.I dont think it is a socialogical issue realy here it is a buissness and economic one.

Simply put if you want to sell items for TONS of money go for it.If ya wanna buy things overpriced becouse its easy to earn high amounts of money go ahead.The thing you nimrods gotta remember though is your only increaseing the screwed and geting screwed market.I for one have more customers thanks to better prices and decent service.

All the people who are overpriceing are only shooting themselves in the foot by scaring away potential customers.The shop is a buisness if ya wanna toss good buissness practice out the window and go with a drug dealer aproach be my geust.Ill just watch the count rise on my constant customers list,and my per day meseta flow trump your single high priced "blue moon" sales.

icewyrm
Jan 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
http://icewyrm.batcave.net/images/1131448202810.gif CCCC-COMBO BREAKER

Thrash777
Jan 3, 2007, 07:02 AM
I put my Ray-photons up for 50-80... no wonder they sell within a minute!

and thank GOD you're talking about the PC/PS2 version! No problems on the 360! ^_^

AL1ST0R
Jan 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
lol i really dont see what the problem is everyone rants and raves about dupe meseta but in one way or another we all have a lil bit illegal money in the game either from some1 buying from you in your player shop or what ever but if your pm was filled with 10mill or more yea you will all complain but then again inside you would be screaming for joy so stop whining about it sega is doing all it can to stop it,but yes it is true it is messing up the game for ps2/pc users but hey what u gonna do right ? not our fault blame sega for trusting gg we all know its crap and it doesnt work and now its safe for now but for how long ? personally i doesn't bother me that there dupe messeta in the game every online game has hacks what did ya think we were speacial and wasnt gonna get hit its just aprt of online gaming so everyone calm down and enjoy the game the way sega intended if you worry about hackers all the time then you will never enjoy the game for what it is,this is why i choose to play with my eyes/ears shut dont wantto hear about hackers dnt want to know about em thats the way everyone should play nuff said.^_-

FrogKicker
Jan 3, 2007, 07:34 AM
On 2007-01-03 01:57, ViciousXUSMC wrote:
off your soap box now? we all have heard it before, bottom line is we all pay to play the game we want. Nobody has the right to say how/what anybody does with there time or money/items in the game.

Its not wrong to sell an item high, its not wrong to sell one low, but since things cost alot, it makes sense to make alot.

If you can sell an item high, you an afford to buy one high. The economy has just changed and the people that wont adjust to the economy and want to continue to buy goods at a low price and sell at a low price will find themselves behind. But thats there business.

Let the dead horse lie with all this duped meseta garbage. Go play the game or stop playing, but by all means stop the whining!!!

Translation: "I support teh dupe!"

Dead horse? Hardly. Justify it anyway you want, if you take part, you are part of the problem.

Gamemako
Jan 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
On 2007-01-03 04:34, FrogKicker wrote:
Dead horse? Hardly. Justify it anyway you want, if you take part, you are part of the problem.

Amen.

//EDIT: Saying that the economy is already screwed is like an industry saying, "The environment is already polluted, so let's just dump whatever the hell we want!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2007-01-03 04:47 ]</font>

icewyrm
Jan 3, 2007, 07:57 AM
Translate it any way you want, it won't solve the problem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

FrogKicker
Jan 3, 2007, 08:02 AM
On 2007-01-03 04:57, icewyrm wrote:
Translate it any way you want, it won't solve the problem http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And that my friends, is why the world is one big pile of shit.

Ledin
Jan 3, 2007, 08:21 AM
I concur! I think part of the problem is that things aren't as clear-cut as they were in Phantasy Star Online anymore. In PSO, you had your SSJSephiroth14 HUmars switch out Monkey King Bar, Unsealed J-Sword etc., but everybody knew they hadn't obtained these items legitimately.

However, in Phantasy Star Universe, there's a lot of grey area. It's impossible to dupe non-stackable items (as far as I know anyway), so you either crafted your weapons or bought them with the money you farmed. But both ways allow exploits: The board trick, which makes synthezising a bit easier, and selling items way overpriced in shops, knowing that some duper will grab it sooner or later. Quick, personal gain is worth more than fair game to a lot of players, and that's why our economy is the way it is now. Don't delude yourself: A handful of script kiddies could not have ruined the PC/PS2 market; every single one of you who was or is trying to sell any sort of photons for much more than 200 meseta, Del Jagnus boards for 1 million meseta, Goldania for 500k, etc. is to blame for circulating that cheated meseta.

Incidentally, this topic was moved here from the General Forums as I was trying to post a reply. Dead horse or not, we are where we are today because of this See No Evil mentality. Alas, the vicious cycle repeats itself.

Wheatpenny
Jan 3, 2007, 12:51 PM
Actualy I sell my 10-11* Synth items for 50-90k then I buy components from NPC to make the items I need I am actualy DOING some smaall part to remove the inflated meseta from the economy.

Reiichi
Jan 3, 2007, 02:30 PM
No point trying to remove meseta from the economy, as people can still dupe.

I am not poking fingers at what people should or shouldn't sell their stuff at.

You pay a little time, a little money, and receive 100x that value in meseta. A fortune that had no hard work or time or money put behind it.

The gap between spending a little and receiving a lot is very close to meseta duping. Take a minute, dupe a billion meseta, or synth a 50%, bring in millions more meseta than what it really is. In the end it's the same. You're working the system to attract the attention of meseta dupers so that they'll buy your ridiculously overpriced stuff. How much more legit will I feel if I vend my 50% rares for millions and millions of meseta over what a normal price would be, rather than just duping the meseta myself and keeping the weapon? Oh but duping is wrong! Baiting meseta dupers isn't, though maybe slightly unethical. In the end if you choose to go the slightly unethical route, you're just the workhorse for the dupers. They'll pay 10k for rays? You take the time to go farm it for them. They'll pay 250k for alterics? You'll take the time to go synth them and gather the materials. They'll pay 10+ million for 50% weapons? You'll take the time to go synth them. Giga PP save? Power Hard? Haru / Quick? You take the time to hunt for it, and they'll pay a minute of their time to dupe the meseta.

So the new currency is trades? Lots of people have already started up their 20+ 8* weapon board factories and are severly draining the elemental photons supply out there. Have fun farming your own bundles of 10 elemental photons or pay upwards of 5k for NON ray-photons. Hope you have a big slice of that duped meseta pie, or maybe it's time to get some. Time to farm del boards or Jaos eh?

Schubalts
Jan 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have a better question:

How do you know the meseta someone paid you with was duped?

And can we PLEASE not start another goddamn witch-hunt?

Ledin
Jan 3, 2007, 05:12 PM
On 2007-01-03 13:29, Schubalts wrote:
How do you know the meseta someone paid you with was duped?
You can't be sure. I have no way to know whether my ray-photons sold for 100 meseta went to a legit player or to somebody with 99 million meseta on his PM. But it doesn't matter. What I do know is that my photons would have sold sooner or later, even in a completely legit community with no duped money.

However, when you're selling photons for 10k per, you are guaranteed that somebody with illegitimately obtained meseta (whether they are actually duping or simply sold their farmed/synthed items for exorbitant prices makes no difference) will buy them -- players who refuse to stoop to that sort of gameplay simply cannot afford a big quantity at such high prices.

It's indeed impossible to shut out cheaters from your shops, but by deliberately overpricing items, you're basically excluding legit players in favor of quick, personal gain through morally questionable ways.

Mind you, I'm not judging people who choose to play that way. I'm merely remarking that there is only a marginal difference between actual duping and knowingly selling to cheaters; a difference many of the notorious overpricers have chosen to ignore.

Wheatpenny
Jan 3, 2007, 05:30 PM
You know there is so much people can do to combat this meseta duping not like you are all gona do this at once or anything but here are some ideas.

*Buy from NPC only.

*Make your own gear with parts bought from NPC only.

*Don't buy from overpriced shops.

Little story, I was in a shop one day looking for Kerselines and the player shopkeeper was in..had his kerseline grossly overpriced like 9k, he asked me what I thought about his prices. I promptly told him that Kerseline sells for 6k at npc. He immediatly lowered the price to 3k I made a purchase,he made a sale, we were both happy. If you don't like a price don't buy it or if the shopkepper is in then speak up dammit. In the case of the story I just told this guy wasn't trying to sweat out some duped meseta he just was totaly clueless.