PDA

View Full Version : Auto Lock of Topics after Time

KojiroAK
Jan 3, 2007, 09:44 AM
Since it seems there are some guys who don't check the time the last post was made on a topic and bump on this way old threads, i would like to ask, if it's possible to ad a function which lock topics that wasn't "supported" over a decided time?

(For example a topic doesn't get new entries over 3 weeks, it will automatically locked)

Or would that need to much server resources?

Or are there some other reason that would make this idea a bad one?

Dhylec
Jan 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
Autolocking sounds like an easy way to keep from bumping, but it'll take up resource [constantly] & coding/testing time.

For now, the best way is to inform a mod to lock if a topic is bumped after 4 or more weeks of idling or unreplied/dead.

watashiwa
Jan 3, 2007, 11:37 AM
On 2007-01-03 07:38, Dhylec wrote:
Autolocking sounds like an easy way to keep from bumping, but it'll take up resource [constantly] & coding/testing time.

Nah, you wouldn't neccessarily "auto lock" a topic. Just, when the reply button is pressed on an old topic, a simple check of the last post date on the topic would either let you make a post or give an error saying "Topic is too old to be replied to".

Wouldn't have to take up resources constantly, just whenever the reply button is pressed.

Arislan
Jan 3, 2007, 12:02 PM
Except that we have certain threads that it is "unofficially" ok to bump regardless of date, such as the PS discussion thread, or the Ep 3 card mistranslation listing.

Ryna
Jan 3, 2007, 12:05 PM
As Watashiwa mentioned, it would be fairly easy to implement such a check.

One reason such measures haven't been implemented is because we allow people to reply to old threads under certain circumstances (floating stickies, personal art thread, etc...). Also, the only people that bump old threads usually don't last very long around here.

KojiroAK
Jan 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
On 2007-01-03 09:02, Arislan wrote:
Except that we have certain threads that it is "unofficially" ok to bump regardless of date, such as the PS discussion thread, or the Ep 3 card mistranslation listing.

In the way watashiwa (the guy with the name, not I) mentioned, it could also be possible to mark such special threads that disable the checking for age.

Ryna
Jan 3, 2007, 03:36 PM
On 2007-01-03 12:25, KojiroAK wrote:
In the way watashiwa (the guy with the name, not I) mentioned, it could also be possible to mark such special threads that disable the checking for age.

Yeah, it could be implemented. However, I don't really this issue is a big problem. Bumps of old threads is an infrequent occurence on this board.

Bezmor
Jan 3, 2007, 08:50 PM
On 2007-01-03 12:36, Ryna wrote:

On 2007-01-03 12:25, KojiroAK wrote:

Yeah, it could be implemented. However, I don't really this issue is a big problem. Bumps of old threads is an infrequent occurence on this board.

In pso genral theres a lot of bumping by people, my guess is because they are new members. Maybe if there was a stricter consequence for bumping. Like now a mod might say please dont post on old topics, but if there was a more serious penalty they might stop. But that might not work because its the members that are new and dont know about punishments
(if any of that makes sense im a bit tired)

KodiaX987
Jan 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
It's just that no one foresaw the possibility of someone so inconceivably stupid as to travel all the way to the very end of a forum and bump a post that's been written before the Big Bang.

Thankfully, those bumpers generally don't know how to breathe, so we're rid of them in a matter of seconds.

CpwninOBrien
Jan 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I agree, bumping old topics is pretty lame. Especially as most of the really great gems had already been locked http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

KojiroAK
Jan 5, 2007, 06:02 AM
On 2007-01-03 21:20, KodiaX987 wrote:
Thankfully, those bumpers generally don't know how to breathe, so we're rid of them in a matter of seconds.

But it seems there reproduction becomes bigger at some times.

So it isn't the problem of the single life form, but there quantitiy.