PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of Axes?

SolomonGrundy
Jan 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
So there are a few specialized weapon types in PSU: cards, crossbows, grenade launchers, and arguably bows.
each seems to serve a specific purpose, but I can't figure out what Axe is for?

Cards and Bows are clearly force weapons for monsters resistant to techs.

Cards and crossbows are very good Guntecker weapons for when you are wand dual weilding.

Genade Lauchers for perfect freeze, and great enemy disruption.

But axes? What are they for? I would say they are for Newman fortefighters to make up for poor ATP, but then wouldn't they be better in the hands of a Cast (who can equip them earlier?)

And for 90K, dang...

DizzyDi
Jan 4, 2007, 03:20 PM
On 2007-01-04 12:08, SolomonGrundy wrote:
So there are a few specialized weapon types in PSU: cards, crossbows, grenade launchers, and arguably bows.
each seems to serve a specific purpose, but I can't figure out what Axe is for?

Cards and Bows are clearly force weapons for monsters resistant to techs.

Cards and crossbows are very good Guntecker weapons for when you are wand dual weilding.

Genade Lauchers for perfect freeze, and great enemy disruption.

But axes? What are they for? I would say they are for Newman fortefighters to make up for poor ATP, but then wouldn't they be better in the hands of a Cast (who can equip them earlier?)

And for 90K, dang...

I've found axes to be great against big, huge, slow enemies with a lot of hit points.
OR.
A small group of humanoid enemies (Vahras, Vandas, so on.)

Its sorta obvious to see the advantages against the big enemies. They're easy to get behind, have low EVA anyway, and the damage an axe does just makes them fall down faster.

Against humanoid enemies its all about the 3rd knockdown hit. If you're good/lucky enough you can keep an enemy in perpetual knockdown and keep dealing the big hits to him.

Vhex
Jan 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
[quote]On 2007-01-04 13:21, Vhex wrote:
The 3rd hit knocks medium-sized and smaller enemies back, and are ideal for taking on regular and low speed enemies. Effective on jumping enemies as well surprisingly because of its pretty large range in all directions (x,y,z). The low ASPD, single target, inability to tag many enemies efficiently, the length of the PA leveling process, and the low ATA turns off many new Fortefighters as it should. Axes are difficult to use at low levels and can really only be weilded by skilled players who have learned how to use them propery. Despite the offsets the Axe actually has qualities that make it a great weapon. As I mentioned previously, the range and knockback without even using a PA, but also the emense power. Axes have the highest ATP, and once you reach 50+ on Cast/human(54+ on beast), the ATA isn't an issue. The PA once at lvl 11 gains another Hit, but watch out as it is not meant to hit the same enemy sent flying by the first hit but rather aimed at other nearby enemies (though the follow-up jump does work on large enemies). When it hits 21, the Axe PA becomes very usefull as that not only does it become more accurate but also it gains 2 more combo attacks(1 more 'hit') that can break up a mob or deal loads on a big enemy. Axes are the fF and PT's specialty, and they will take time to master.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vhex on 2007-01-04 13:35 ]</font>

Kaydin
Jan 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
On 2007-01-04 12:20, DizzyDi wrote:
I've found axes to be great against big, huge, slow enemies with a lot of hit points.

I played with a Lv60 Fortefighter with an axe doing Plains Overlord C. He only used it against De Ragan, but he was doing ten times as much damage as the rest of us Lv 10s and 20s were doing.

Golto
Jan 4, 2007, 06:34 PM
Axe is all about the dmg. Just think of the dmg than can be done with high elemental advantage.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
So maybe it's meant to take down enemies that are resistant to melee like Tengohgs? Does it work well vs them?

Vhex
Jan 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
Sorta, its meant for all enemies, not just dragons. I actually just shoot those things...

Gamemako
Jan 5, 2007, 03:32 AM
Grinded elemental axes can do absolutely insane damage. The second PA is also much better than the first. And man, I can only imagine what they'll make for an ultimate PA for it.

DarkSeph
Jan 5, 2007, 03:37 AM
Meelee doesn't work well against Tengohgs? WOAH! Didn't know that........ I'm a Fortetecher and I'm used to doing 500+ damage per blow with my level 30 Foie, not to mention when they catch on fire they take 1500+ damage *5...so each time they catch on fire they take 7500+ Damage http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif......

Gamemako
Jan 5, 2007, 03:44 AM
Tengoghs are technically flying enemies, which all take reduced damage from melee attacks.

Akuma222
Jan 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
Is the Axe an online only weapon or can I get it offline too?

Dhylec
Jan 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
On 2007-01-05 06:59, Akuma222 wrote:

No, axe is not available offline.

Magician
Jan 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, boss, mid-boss and large enemy damage are what they're best for.

Akuma222
Jan 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
On 2007-01-05 07:42, Dhylec wrote:

On 2007-01-05 06:59, Akuma222 wrote:

No, axe is not available offline.

Well that sux. Why would they put it online and not offline?

Dhylec
Jan 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
Well that sux. Why would they put it online and not offline?

So that you get online to play?

PsyX
Jan 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
Axes are being introduced to chop wood obviously =]

CyarVictor
Jan 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
good to kill trees with. Actually since you are usually with people who use daggers or weapons which attracts the enemies attention, the ax is very useful. Good for knock down, disrupting mobs off your fortetechers/rangers, and pretty much heavy damage on one target. I've been called to several parties because they prefered the ax user to your dagger/double saber user.
Takes awhile to get use to, and suitable for cast fortefighters more than beasts; the ank series is a good solid weapon. i've only missed on a few occassions. rarely that is. Once you get the first PA to lv30, you can pretty much be on par, slightly lower, dmg than a fortetecher. Against tenghogs, anks are decent weapons since the PA and thrid strike on regular hits can knock em over easily. versus humanoids, good to single out targets with the PA till they are dead since most of your party tends to use multi-hit moves like ra and gi spells, shotties/grenade launchers/laser cannons, and twin daggers. you can find 7 star anks for around 50-70k in player shops or make em cheap.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
you can find 7 star anks for around 50-70k in player shops or make em cheap.

the board cost 45K right? Seems like buying one for 70 K with an element is a bargain.
Too bad beast ATA is so low. A beast with an axe vs a tengogh would be luv-lee

CyarVictor
Jan 5, 2007, 07:40 PM
60k for 7* board and 110k for 8* board.

Anks are great for anyone with decent ATA. The 7* has about 1000 ATP so you are pretty much doing great dmg with normal hits and exceptional dmg with PAs.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
[b]

Anks are great for anyone with decent ATA.

Dude, you're killing me here...Gib more ATA!

Neith
Jan 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
I fail to see how anyone can class Axes as useless.

I took a gamble on one, and found it to be one of the most useful weapon-types in PSU.

+ Huge ATP
+ Third hit knocks enemies into the ground
+ PA is an insanely good crowd clearer, if used right (ie, from behind)

- Terrible ATA (though even on a Beast, this is remedied by Zodiarides, I hit fine in Mizuraki S)
-Slow (but they'd be broken if they were fast)

Put it like this. You get a spawn of Olgohmons. You get behind them (no lame-ass excuses about it being difficult to do), and PA them. Several Olgohmon just flew across the ground, preventing them from casting Barta for a few more seconds. Oh, and when they do decide to get up again, the third hit of your regular combo will ground them again.

Using an Axe on a Newman won't remedy anything- you'll still deal low damage, because of the slow hits.

If there's one reason anyone who can should use an Axe, its for the crowd control element (Unless you suck, and send enemies reeling towards your Force.)

Final emphasis: Beasts CAN use Axes well, VERY well. Just buy Zodiarides.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2007-01-05 18:22 ]</font>

SolomonGrundy
Jan 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
Final emphasis: Beasts CAN use Axes well, VERY well. Just buy Zodiarides.

150/per Zodiaride, and you can carry 10. But yeah. That and get and Arm unit. I wish they had a B or A rank one worth getting.

Neith
Jan 6, 2007, 09:16 AM
That's only 1500 every couple of missions. If you're using an Axe, you really should have the funds to afford Zodiarides every few missions too. They do make a difference, and are worth buying.

Gamemako
Jan 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
Once we have buffs and debuffs, you probably won't miss much, even with a beast using an axe. Of course, that will mean that you'll need a fortetecher in your party for every fight (or at the very least a wartecher, assuming he burned his PA slots on buffs).

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
Id love to have an axe! Since Im offline, there arent any. However, when I do get online, my Beast is definitely getting one. I pretty much wanted a Beast for the axe (& the Nanoblast too). Still, axes can be pretty damn powerful in the hands of midgets! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif