PDA

View Full Version : Who HATES school/college?!

Banish
Jan 4, 2007, 07:39 PM
Well I DO! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif

Isn't it pointless to do all that stuff? I mean, its good to educate people, but America doesn't doen't get it.

It takes like half of your life, attending school.
College is even worse.. :crying:
You just have to survive on your own...

*sigh*

Please write your comments/don't get mad at me if schoollife is your fav. thing..

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Jan 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
Why did you write about THAT????!!!

CupOfCoffee
Jan 4, 2007, 07:45 PM
I adore school, especially college. You shouldn't be so quick to write it off--some day you're going to realize that life only gets worse for most people after their schooling is over. They have to join the work force, do everything for themselves, and have heaps of responsibility placed on their shoulders.

Enjoy your youth while you can, buddy.

Banish
Jan 4, 2007, 07:45 PM
Hey! I thought I said don't get MAD!

->Write your thoughts down please

Banish
Jan 4, 2007, 07:48 PM

..huh? Alright... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DikkyRay
Jan 4, 2007, 07:57 PM
i love school
and ill love college more.
Its great going to classes and talking with friends. Sure some aspects piss me off, but hey, when it comes down to it, i awnt a jopb later in life. Plus i NEED to study to become a marine biologist....
you have to figure out ways to make it fun for you

washuguy
Jan 4, 2007, 08:05 PM
LOOK... I'm SICK... AND TIRED... OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT...

THere is nothing you can do, so keep your ass shut and go to school. I admit, I'm sick of getting up a 7:15 to go to a facility that robs people and their parents out of hard earned money. The bullshit classes and credits you "NEED" to graduate and leave the place. The stuf you "NEEEEEEEEEEEEED" to take to get into a college other than the ones that specialize in what you plan to do in your life.... But what are you going to do? You can't not go to school, your screwed if you don't. So just chill, go to school, good things will happen eventually.... EVENTUALLY...

Banish
Jan 4, 2007, 08:13 PM
On 2007-01-04 17:05, washuguy wrote:

THere is nothing you can do, so keep your ass shut and go to school. I admit, I'm sick of getting up a 7:15 to go to a facility that robs people and their parents out of hard earned money. The bullshit classes and credits you "NEED" to graduate and leave the place. The stuf you "NEEEEEEEEEEEEED" to take to get into a college other than the ones that specialize in what you plan to do in your life.... But what are you going to do? You can't not go to school, your screwed if you don't. So just chill, go to school, good things will happen eventually.... EVENTUALLY...

Whoa.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

What kind of good things come EVENTUALLY?!!

Solstis
Jan 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Highschool was pretty awful, but I'm loving college. First meaningful relationship, stepping stone to the hell of reality, etc etc.

Also, what do you mean by "America doesn't get it." I'm anti-nationalism, but I find that offensive. I'm sure that there's some really stupid, uneducated Japanese people.

washuguy
Jan 4, 2007, 08:15 PM
On 2007-01-04 17:13, Banish wrote:

On 2007-01-04 17:05, washuguy wrote:

Whoa.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

What kind of good things come EVENTUALLY?!!

Uhhh... ME!!!!

Welllll... Scholarships of all kind,and other stuff I don't feel like listing... Unless you were thinking about somethin else...

DonRoyale
Jan 4, 2007, 08:15 PM
I like the education and teachers, it's the classmates I can't stand...

Isn't it funny how, even though you're a nerd, you can say pretty much whatever you want to people, because you know they're too stupid to do anything about it?

I hate how stupid everyone at my school is...>>

Banish
Jan 4, 2007, 08:18 PM
On 2007-01-04 17:14, Solstis wrote:
Highschool was pretty awful, but I'm loving college. First meaningful relationship, stepping stone to the hell of reality, etc etc.

Also, what do you mean by "America doesn't get it." I'm anti-nationalism, but I find that offensive. I'm sure that there's some really stupid, uneducated Japanese people.

What I meant is they doen't know/experience how hellish School can be...Well, actually they probaly do, and force you into stupid crap like boring projects, and reading.

KodiaX987
Jan 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
The school system from high to college is a running joke. High school? Too many generalized classes for those who know what they want and too many specialized courses for those who don't. I did things like "physical science" which was an excuse to make us look at rocks and heat flasks of colored water. I did stuff like ecology, biology, and there was even some "family economy" in which they taught us how to sew and how to read the washing labels on clothes. Jesus H. Christ...

College kind of solved part of the problem but we still had to go through generalized classes like philosophy, English as a second language, and at least two classes that have nothing to do with the program you are taking, which can range from drama to introduction to MS Word.

I can put up with bullshit, but I sure as hell won't shut up about it!

Solstis
Jan 4, 2007, 08:39 PM
On 2007-01-04 17:18, Banish wrote:

On 2007-01-04 17:14, Solstis wrote:

What I meant is they doen't know/experience how hellish School can be...Well, actually they probaly do, and force you into stupid crap like boring projects, and reading.

Well, Universities aren't run by professors (at least bigger ones), but by businessmen/women. Not to mention that the people in charge of legislating education related laws often have no credentials in that field (other than by being politicians in the right place).

astuarlen
Jan 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well, no doubt experiences vary widely, based on both individual personality and where you go/went to school.
"America doesn't doen't get it"? You just might, one day, realize that school is an opportunity, not a burden. Yeah, school demands your time and your effort; how many worthwhile things in life don't? Ignorance, in the real world, does not often lead to bliss. Even highly educated people have trouble finding decent employment ("decent" meaning "pays a living wage"; fulfilling employment, from what I hear and see, is even scarcer).
Personally, I wouldn't mind going to school for the rest of my life; what comes after doesn't much tempt me, juvenile as that may be. Gotta start meeting more happy, semi-satisfied adults. ;o
Anyway, lots of other things could be said, but I'll just leave it at that. :>

medusae
Jan 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
High school, for me, was pretty bad.
The people that went to school with me were rich idiot kids that live in a boring suburb, with too much money and not enough stuff to do. The nearest other high school was known for being an easy place to buy drugs. That leads to problems.

This was also a public high school in Texas, where everything academic is poorly funded and 50% of the school's budget easily goes to the football team. Everyone was also really ineffective at first as authority (basically everyone on staff was 2 years from retirement or just starting their career), and by my sophomore year, there would be fights every day, arrests on campus, and my principal ended up retiring early due to a death threat. After that, it went into lockdown mode, and the school was micromanaged to a security standpoint without any real emphasis on education. I've left, but the HS is still just getting stricter on security every year without any real results.

Community college isn't as bad as high school, but is just, well, lame. 90% of the people you are around all day are the dumbasses you hated in high school, and if you've got any kind of brains, the classes are just an insult to your intelligence. But, still, not unbearable.

However, I LOVE university. Just look at any of the reasons astuarlen, or anyone else, posted and you'll know why.

Orange_Coconut
Jan 5, 2007, 03:56 PM
Don't forget that it's not necessary that you go to college, though it is looked at as something that one ought to do once they finish High School. You can't really tell how hard life will be with or without college until you start experiencing it, which I find odd about how all these people around my age and younger try to tell me why college is a necessity, when it's obviously not.

Now I am going to college, studying Psychology though this upcoming year I'm planning to branch off of that to see what other classes may interest me. College has a lot more options than High School, the community is much better depending on where you end up going plus you can actually develop bonds with your professors and, in my opinion, more realistic bonds between fellow classmates.

The thing is you need to get out there and get a taste of the working world. Don't forget that some jobs will be quite similar to others you may have had already, while others may be completely different. A lot of jobs require being behind a cash register, or a lot of customer friendly attitudes, while others may not have any customers whatsoever or might demand more physical labor rather than working at a desk or a counter.

College offers a lot of things, a lot of new oppurtunities for your future, but it doesn't mean that if you do not go to college that you will not have a future. Some things are as simple as turning a hobby into a full-time job, for example I recently have been taking some pictures around my area. I would even get up early in the morning to see what kind of different pictures I could take even within the same area, it's all about what is affecting the place or object or scene that could make the same place/object/scene into something that looks completely different.

The wording I used there may be a bit confusing, and probably has some improper grammar as well, but the point is I am looking forward to learn more about photography. I would like to learn how a camera works, if there are different things I can do while taking or after taking photos that might leave me with a different feeling than what might usually be associated with the subject of the photo taken, there are so many different interpretations of art in their many different forms and it's interesting to see what people think about each and every piece of art that has been made or stumbled upon.

I tend to over think things though, so photography may not be my strongest point even though I am willing to take a deeper look into it and see if it is something I might want to dip into, or maybe even follow up with. The point being that there are so many different things out there, it just depends on what you want to do, what you like to do and how you like to do it. If you're someone who hates school, but loves photography as a hobby, then why not keep it as a hobby and find a job to work in? You would probably try to aim for a job that requires minimal work at home and maybe at different hours to get a variety of different pictures due to the different times taken. Or maybe you would go into a job where travelling is a major aspect of it, even if it's just town to town within your area.

Now I'm not saying I loved High School, because I most certainly did not. College isn't really a walk in the park, maybe for some people it is, but definitely not for me. I do believe that I will be happy with the outcome though, due to what I would like to do in the future. All it is doing is preparing me and all the others who attend a college for their life ahead. Even if you already know all the materials needed, or if you have all the skills required, you need to finish it in order to be able to do the job you want to do if it requires any kind of college degree. You just need to realize that things don't necessarily come easy and that you can still try different things throughout your experience in college. There are many different classes to take, if you don't like one then just skip it or get it over with depending on if it's required or not, but balance your schedule so that there's a reason why you go to classes each day instead of just dreading each day to come.

Banish
Jan 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments, you guys.

I read them all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kent
Jan 6, 2007, 02:52 AM
Personally, I never liked schooling until I got into College.

Kindergarten, first, and second grades, are where I learned all my stuff - I spent those in Minnesota schools. After my parents divorced (I was eight at the time), I was forced to move to Mississippi with my mom... And proceeded to show up the teachers in their own subjects until they got tired of looking bad, and I got tired of their utter bullshit - at which point I got my GED.

For the record... That ten-year span, after moving... I hated every minute of it, with a bitter passion. For the longest time, I felt that I was, more or less, conned out of a decent education, that I'd be considered on the level of my "peers," who can't seem to grasp what nouns are, and are in 9th grade english. Yeah. They're seriously that stupid.

Took a few years off, then went to college... And I'm loving it. I've been lucky, and had a lot of instructors that can be considered friends as well as teachers - and a lot of them that make for interesting, and intellectually stimulating conversations (like the one about string theory, and tenth-dimensional space - that stuff makes my brain feel good).

But yeah... As far as scholarly persuits go, now that I'm back in Minnesota and in college... Life is good. My mind feels as free as a bird, now that I've no longer a shackled mouth, so as not to cause trouble in Bible Belt 'society.'

In short, college made my life a whole lot better. Free to express things, say what I think, and get creative in my own eccentric (possibly slightly insane) ways. It feels especially good when you have an instructor, who is legally a genius and Emmy award winner, say to you "You'll be hiring me some day - probably to pump your gas."

Nidramag
Jan 7, 2007, 04:54 PM
school. I realized without it, I probably would have a lot less friends ( I mean that I met them at school) also, it bores the crap outta me to just be at home on a crappy day during the summer, I mean, even PSO can get old...for that day. I can't imagine that torture year-round.

medusae
Jan 7, 2007, 05:11 PM
For the longest time, I felt that I was, more or less, conned out of a decent education, that I'd be considered on the level of my "peers," who can't seem to grasp what nouns are, and are in 9th grade english.

If it makes you feel any better, I suffered the same fate in Texas public schools. :

PJ
Jan 7, 2007, 06:00 PM
I love High School. I've only got 1 semester left, and I wish it wouldn't end.

It's totally situational though. I've made great friends, know awesome teachers, and I play in the band, and it's all fun. I'm gonna miss High School so much.

The situational part... really, I was afraid of High School. Thinking I'd get the crap beat out of me everyday, "Initiation," gun violence, drugs everywhere, etc. Now, I KNOW there are high schools like that. But my school really isn't.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignorant, there ARE drugs at my school, and there is violence, but it's just so minimal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-01-07 15:01 ]</font>

Azraelscross
Jan 7, 2007, 06:06 PM
i can honestly say i would love to be in regular school right now. there is no "releasing Freedom" about not being in school. cause now i'm stuck doing work out of photocopies and checking in every once in a while for new work. it is boring, it all around sucks and i never realized how much it sucks to be seperated from people my age. although they aren't much my age anymore*is 19 now*

and its extremely stressful when you have a deadline by spring to be either in school full-time*or spend 4-5 hours a day in the part-time* or have a full-time job

And when you face the fact that your probably gonna end up wasting your life doing a job you hate. it will scare you. it will make you shit a brick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azraelscross on 2007-01-07 15:11 ]</font>

Drakorn
Jan 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
College can be a hated opportunity for me anyways, i do like college, but it couldnt get any better then school http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Out_Kast
Jan 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
School is okay. For me, it's kinda like an opppurtunity to just spend 6 1/2 hours with your friends. Which isn't too bad, I suppose. It's the work and getting up that kill me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

DraginHikari
Jan 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
I once agreed with that thought, simply because I had a extensive case of depression and a horriblely negative attitude at that. I went to college and bombed out due to complete and utter laziness. After that I spent two years working at the bottom of the barrel absolutely hating what I do.

Today I started my second semester at a community college, my last semester been the first successful thing I've done in nearly five years (Since my sophomore year in high school). I'm training in Information Technology which is what I let go two years ago because I didn't want to try.

Is college necessary, no. But in my opinion if it leads to something you'd like to do I figure go for it. Hell for sure I am.

ChocoboChad
Jan 11, 2007, 01:16 AM
Alright. I love school.

The only thing bad about school is homework.

I hate homework. I love school.

A lot of posts I've seen against the OP are about jobs. School is basically for jobs.

Blitzkommando
Jan 11, 2007, 05:44 AM
My 'best' and 'favorite' years of school thus far were in Junior High down in Florida. I met some absoutely outstanding people there both students and teachers. I also had one of the worst teachers I've ever had, she was nearly deaf so she couldn't hear anything going on in class which meant class was always disrupted. She also would often tell the class, "I can't teach today I have to work on Math Counts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Counts)." Yeah. Great stuff these 'education' competitions. Aside from her and a particular small group of idiots I was extremely happy there.

High school was complete hell for me. I moved half-way through Freshman year back up to Ohio. The school was very close knit so newcomers weren't exactly welcome, nor supported. I had a teacher whom I had a series of 'arguments' with, not in front of class but through the paper I wrote in which I disagreed with his opinions on what words are and aren't acceptable for usage in papers. (He insisted that 'mankind' is not a word appropriate for usage in paper and which I was not going to back down from my beliefs and edit it out, thus failing my paper. Of note is that he was not at the school the following year.) That wasn't nearly all of it, but that's all I'm willing to divulge over a public forum as to how that was one of the 'minor' things from highschool here.

The experiences here for the past five years have in fact burned me so badly, and I find myself disgusted at Ohio politics, weather, and general populace so much that it has been one of the most important growing experiences in my life. I'd previously never stood up to a teacher, authority figure (I also got in a rather loud argument with the prinicipal here after he had made a personal attack against my family), and I have been so fed up with things that, from my view, are not right that I'm now willing to stand up and fight for my beliefs. That's something that while it was a terrible way for it to happen, is one of the best powers that I have gained in my life. Overall though I want to get out of this area as it is just frankly too painful to even attempt at a relationship here and I have since become rather recluse except for family.

I did have three teachers here that I did very much enjoy. One was math, another art, and the final was government. The math teacher, for lack of a better explanation, could simply teach so well that I was able to get a tremendous grasp on geometry that I otherwise would've had a far harder time to get. My art teacher was an absolutely pleasant woman to be around. She was always supportive of my drawing and tried to help out in any way she could to help me better my drawing technique as well as try out other mediums (sculpture, clay, charcoal, among others). I was fortunate enough to have her Freshman through Junior years and I regret not having her for Senior year as it was by far my toughest year at the school (not academically, but for a slew of other reasons). The government teacher was just a fun guy. He wouldn't do the little piddly tasks for us to learn like other teachers would often do, instead trying to keep it fun while also using that to help us memorize the material.

zanotam
Jan 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
while i admire the school system adn its goal what i don't understand is the idea that peopel should work harder so they can be worked harder say when they're in middle school then worked harder in high school then worked harder in college then worked harder at there job then work harder as they get more money until the point where there under around 10x the healthry stress amount...sheesh!

zanotam
Jan 11, 2007, 08:20 PM
oh yah the reason school sucks as well is the fact that the world is taht the smart peopel moved here to america, married smart people, but then they married nto as smart people, until everyone wa smarrying mostly dumb people and the smart people end up getting outcast form society for being useful and having a brain.

EphekZ
Jan 11, 2007, 08:34 PM
On 2007-01-11 17:20, zanotam wrote:
oh yah the reason school sucks as well is the fact that the world is taht the smart peopel moved here to america, married smart people, but then they married nto as smart people, until everyone wa smarrying mostly dumb people and the smart people end up getting outcast form society for being useful and having a brain.

your last two posts have so many typos...slow down and dont be "dumb"

zanotam
Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
he he sorry its my problem I type a wee bit too fast, alright i probably type faster then 90+% of people on this earth so yah, but seriously i just type really really really fast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

zanotam
Jan 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
On 2007-01-11 02:44, Norvekh wrote:
My 'best' and 'favorite' years of school thus far were in Junior High down in Florida. I met some absoutely outstanding people there both students and teachers. I also had one of the worst teachers I've ever had, she was nearly deaf so she couldn't hear anything going on in class which meant class was always disrupted. She also would often tell the class, "I can't teach today I have to work on Math Counts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Counts)." Yeah. Great stuff these 'education' competitions. Aside from her and a particular small group of idiots I was extremely happy there.

High school was complete hell for me. I moved half-way through Freshman year back up to Ohio. The school was very close knit so newcomers weren't exactly welcome, nor supported. I had a teacher whom I had a series of 'arguments' with, not in front of class but through the paper I wrote in which I disagreed with his opinions on what words are and aren't acceptable for usage in papers. (He insisted that 'mankind' is not a word appropriate for usage in paper and which I was not going to back down from my beliefs and edit it out, thus failing my paper. Of note is that he was not at the school the following year.) That wasn't nearly all of it, but that's all I'm willing to divulge over a public forum as to how that was one of the 'minor' things from highschool here.

The experiences here for the past five years have in fact burned me so badly, and I find myself disgusted at Ohio politics, weather, and general populace so much that it has been one of the most important growing experiences in my life. I'd previously never stood up to a teacher, authority figure (I also got in a rather loud argument with the prinicipal here after he had made a personal attack against my family), and I have been so fed up with things that, from my view, are not right that I'm now willing to stand up and fight for my beliefs. That's something that while it was a terrible way for it to happen, is one of the best powers that I have gained in my life. Overall though I want to get out of this area as it is just frankly too painful to even attempt at a relationship here and I have since become rather recluse except for family.

I did have three teachers here that I did very much enjoy. One was math, another art, and the final was government. The math teacher, for lack of a better explanation, could simply teach so well that I was able to get a tremendous grasp on geometry that I otherwise would've had a far harder time to get. My art teacher was an absolutely pleasant woman to be around. She was always supportive of my drawing and tried to help out in any way she could to help me better my drawing technique as well as try out other mediums (sculpture, clay, charcoal, among others). I was fortunate enough to have her Freshman through Junior years and I regret not having her for Senior year as it was by far my toughest year at the school (not academically, but for a slew of other reasons). The government teacher was just a fun guy. He wouldn't do the little piddly tasks for us to learn like other teachers would often do, instead trying to keep it fun while also using that to help us memorize the material.

I miss math counts http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif