PDA

View Full Version : Children of Men

Mixfortune
Jan 8, 2007, 11:12 PM
Curious on thoughts about this movie if any others have seen it.

To me, the progression within the movie itself felt pretty straightforward, but the representation of the world of the future interested me, along of course with the concept. Humankind's final generation, where women have become infertile, and the "youngest person on Earth" has died at the age of... eighteen. Where, in a world gone to hell, a miracle in the form of a pregnant woman gives rise to secrecy and uncertainty with the nature of man.

It's odd to say, but I was more intrigued by the concept of the movie's world than the movie itself. Outside of the miracle, what if this worldwide infertility came to pass? Perhaps for eighteen years without a child, as in the movie, but perhaps never again.

I'm not sure where all I expect this to go, it just has gotten me thinking in general.

Jehosaphaty
Jan 9, 2007, 12:54 AM
The premise of the movie was definately thought provoking (Clive Owen is one of my favorite actors, and I thought his performance was easily applaudable), although I was definately left with a feeling of wanting more.

SPOILERS, obviously...

There was literally no development of the underground society of scientists trying to make contact with the pregnant girl. I can understand that their secrecy was what added character to their plot development, but I was left with this feeling of, "Oh great, he got the girl to scientists, whoop dee doo." The journey was thought-provoking and interesting, but the ending had no closure. So she got the child where she needed, but then what? How about some development so we really care about the organization. It just seemed all too convient to have a mystery group solve the problem when you get little to no premise about the group. Again, I know, I know that the group (the human project or something was it?) delt in total secrecy, just left me going meh.

Mixfortune
Jan 9, 2007, 02:47 AM
I will have to agree with you there, along with how The Fishes just so happened to bump into them when they were close to their goal, it's just not very believable with how they found them.

Mitz
Jan 9, 2007, 02:58 AM
Clive's Owen is in it? Cool! I loved his acting in Sin City.

Shattered_weasel
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 AM
This movie...IS GOD! It was beautiful and I was always on my toes. 11/10 easily.

Reminded me a lot of Y: The Last Man though.

Jehosaphaty
Jan 9, 2007, 09:39 AM
On 2007-01-08 23:47, Mixfortune wrote:
I will have to agree with you there, along with how The Fishes just so happened to bump into them when they were close to their goal, it's just not very believable with how they found them.

Exactly. Such a shot in the dark that it was almost laughable.

Allos
Jan 9, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-01-09 06:39, Jehosaphaty wrote:

On 2007-01-08 23:47, Mixfortune wrote:

Exactly. Such a shot in the dark that it was almost laughable.

Not really. They had an idea as to where they were headed thanks to the papers they found at Jasper's. It's not that hard to believe really...

Anyway, brilliantly shot film. Loved it.

Eihwaz
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
I really want to go see this. Is it in wide release yet?