PDA

View Full Version : Well, that certainly made my day. (now with pictures)

Kent
Jan 9, 2007, 09:57 PM
Note: Fanboys, just skip this post. I don't want to hear it - I'm just stating something I saw, that I found rather humorous.

So, I was in a Best Buy, not twenty minutes ago. I was looking for a memory stick for my shiny new phone (which, oddly enough, Best Buy had seriously high prices for). After being somewhat dissatisfied with the prices on them, I meandered over to the video game section. I heard people playing Guitar Hero II, and that's always something interesting to see other people do, or play some myself... But they didn't get off of it.

I take a look around, and I see the shelf in the back. Up where you need a ladder to get to, they have all of their game systems.

Lo and behold, not a single Wii to be siin - which was no surprise to me. However, I had heard reports about retailers having lots of PS3s that they can't sell. Well, this particular Best Buy had sixty-seven (67) of them (I counted, with a signature smirk on my face - you know, the "I called it" Steven Colbert kind) on the shelf, and there was an employee still stocking more.

Now, I was expecting to see... maybe twenty or so of them... But 67? And more coming? I had a hard time stopping myself from bursting out into laughter in the store, before leaving.

I don't know about you guys, but that just made my day. I'll be sure and bring a camera, next time I'm in a Best Buy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-01-12 19:03 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
That seems odd... if Best Buy isn't selling their stock, why are they backpiling more? Are they waiting for the day when all those masses of people finally save up the 600 bones to buy one and come flooding in? That's a lot of lost revenue on their part - as I'm sure they're not very cheap for the store to purchase either.

PJ
Jan 9, 2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think that means they aren't selling.

I THINK he means no one's buying.

Nidramag
Jan 9, 2007, 10:23 PM
wii beats out thr next-gen. saw that coming.
People not buying PS3's? after their other systems messing up? saw that coming.
sixty-seven a best buy?!?! beats me in the face from behind. how humorous.

KojiroAK
Jan 9, 2007, 10:23 PM
On 2007-01-09 19:06, Sinue_v2 wrote:
That seems odd... if Best Buy isn't selling their stock, why are they backpiling more? Are they waiting for the day when all those masses of people finally save up the 600 bones to buy one and come flooding in? That's a lot of lost revenue on their part - as I'm sure they're not very cheap for the store to purchase either.

I think some stores made contracts with Sony to get a defined amount of PS3, because they awaited a higher demand, now the demand, that was awaited, isn't there, but they still have to buy the consoles from Sony.

Seems like the first did buy the PS3 really primary to resell them at higher prices.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2007-01-09 19:26 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jan 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and saw 4 PS3's (well, at least 4, I didn't bother to look any longer as I was in a hurry) in the case at Centerville. Yet, again, there were no Wiis and, what was important to me, no Wiimotes. I looked through a number of stores in Pensacola while I was down there and a number here in the Dayton area and none have had a single Wii OR Wiimote (I already lucked out with the system as a gift and have been looking for a second controller, which I still have yet to find, even online). I find it also of note that I have seen but one person that actually purchased a PS3 though I know there are many more, but that is all I have seen personally.

I'm very surprised at the turn of events. The Xbox360 came through the holidays rather strong again, the PS3 has huge surpluses even with the so-called limited availability, and the Wii and Wii accessories are completely sold out (other than the "Classic pad" or whatever it is called). Certainly interesting to say the least.

Rion772
Jan 9, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well, atleast you won't have to deal with going to their website and seeing "Back ordered!" and/or "Out of stock!" So... On that note... Screw Wii (I don't mean that sexually.)

trypticon
Jan 9, 2007, 11:18 PM
This is what I like to read! Go Wii!

Fleur-de-Lis
Jan 9, 2007, 11:25 PM
On 2007-01-09 18:57, Kent wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but that just made my day. I'll be sure and bring a camera, next time I'm in a Best Buy.

I'm with you on that. My boss' boss' boss actually told the same story today at lunch, only it was Toys R Us.

I almost feel bad for Sony, but then I come to my senses.

Kent
Jan 10, 2007, 12:32 AM
On 2007-01-09 19:44, Norvekh wrote:
I'm very surprised at the turn of events. The Xbox360 came through the holidays rather strong again, the PS3 has huge surpluses even with the so-called limited availability, and the Wii and Wii accessories are completely sold out (other than the "Classic pad" or whatever it is called). Certainly interesting to say the least.

Another interesting note, would be that in console sales, the Xbox 360 actually came out on top, this holiday season, with approximately 2 million units sold.

The Wii came in a close second, at 1.8 million units sold (since launch), and only because of supply shortages - otherwise, it probably would've wiped the floor with the 360.

And not surprisingly, the PS3 only sold about 500k since launch. Yes, it has limited availability... But not as limited as the number of buying consumers.

Dangerous55
Jan 10, 2007, 01:05 AM
The 360 and Nintendo are going to win. If PS3 fails they both win.

Zelutos
Jan 10, 2007, 01:11 AM
At work, instead of getting calls/people asking for PS3's, all i get is questions about the Wii. No one cares about PS3 anymore. It's all about the Wii <3

Mixfortune
Jan 10, 2007, 01:26 AM
How long has this shipment been out? I know I sure hadn't heard of it until today. It's possible that part of it is from people just not knowing it's back out... but I imagine it is a great deal of drop in demand as well, which will suck for those stores that bought into a lot of the next shipment thinking that the demand would stay high, and then be left over with many extras as seems to be the case at your Best Buy.

Merumeru
Jan 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
XD its sonys fault for thinking their shooter would beat an X360 shooter, if it was a RPG masterpiece that launched with the game (final fantasy/tales), there would actually be some demand XP o well, i still have my ebay profit $ <3

medusae
Jan 10, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, when I worked at Gamestop (I quit Saturday, muahaha), we had about 9 PS3s sitting in the back... and not a single person asked about them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Jan 10, 2007, 07:21 PM
On 2007-01-10 12:23, medusae wrote:
Yeah, when I worked at Gamestop (I quit Saturday, muahaha), we had about 9 PS3s sitting in the back... and not a single person asked about them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Yeah that probably because there are two other playstations just like it but with different games. Wii and 360 rock!!!

UnderscoreX
Jan 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
You have some serious esteem issues if seeing a video game console fail, makes you that happy.

Kent
Jan 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
And making inanely laughable attempts at putting down others helps with your own esteem issues, right? Right.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-01-10 17:37 ]</font>

Nidramag
Jan 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
another punch in the face of sony

roygbiv
Jan 10, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'll take schadenfreude for $200 please.

UnderscoreX
Jan 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
No dude, laughing at your problems is actually healthy, because laughing works out your abs.
So i'm exercising.

Wyndham
Jan 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm still looking for a Wiimote. I just got really lucky when I got my Wii at Kmart.
the local gamestop had a few PS3s, but no Wiis. on sunday, best buy sold out of Wiimotes in 20 minutes.

Mitz
Jan 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
So anyone heard the big rumor that Sony will be designing a new PS3 WITHOUT Blu-Ray? Apparently the shelves are even fuller down by Japan. PS3s don't sell much anymore while the Wii is gone in like 30 minutes every shipment. Now I'm not trying to make a point but c'mon fanboys. I haven't seen this much denial as... well I can use this as my new denial joke.

Kent
Jan 12, 2007, 10:00 PM
PS3 without Blu-Ray wouldn't be able to play its own games. PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs, you know...

Anyway... Update:

Same Best Buy, now has slightly fewer PS3s on the shelf. This time, with pic goodness!

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/6610/lolps3yd2.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/6495/lawlps3lq7.jpg

63 unbought PS3s on the wall.

On a side note: 177k on Heart-shaped Box, on Expert. Not my best, but pretty good, considering I've been out of practice.

DonRoyale
Jan 12, 2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you, OP-this made my day too.

67 PS3s and no Wiis...tells ya something, amirite? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Mitz
Jan 12, 2007, 10:17 PM
On 2007-01-12 19:00, Kent wrote:
PS3 without Blu-Ray wouldn't be able to play its own games. PS3 games are on Blu-Ray discs, you know...

Yes they will be using regular DVDs instead.

Kent
Jan 12, 2007, 10:23 PM
On 2007-01-12 19:17, Rizeru wrote:

All current and future PS3 games are/will be on Blu-Ray discs, and the reason a lot of developers are using the PS3 at all, is due to the sheer amount of mass-storage the format can hold; about 30GB. Doing this would basically mean Sony would shoot themselves in the other foot.

Mitz
Jan 12, 2007, 10:25 PM
On 2007-01-12 19:23, Kent wrote:

On 2007-01-12 19:17, Rizeru wrote:

All current and future PS3 games are/will be on Blu-Ray discs, and the reason a lot of developers are using the PS3 at all, is due to the sheer amount of mass-storage the format can hold; about 30GB. Doing this would basically mean Sony would shoot themselves in the other foot.

I'm not retarded you know, I'm just stating the rumors. Here have a read:

http://www.gadgetnutz.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=00264

EDIT: 55 GB. Not 30.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizeru on 2007-01-12 19:26 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jan 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
A single-layer disc can hold 25GB.
A dual-layer disc can hold 50GB.

Mitz
Jan 12, 2007, 10:54 PM
More good news for ya:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

KojiroAK
Jan 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
Seems there is a price boarder, which Sony has recognized on the hard way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2007-01-12 21:00 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yes, the PS3 is doing terrible for a console that hasn't even fully launched yet.

Sgt_Shligger
Jan 13, 2007, 04:15 AM
Poor critter. . . .

This goes down with the lists of "called it's."

PS3's flopping.
PSU meseta becoming worthless.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nai_Calus
Jan 13, 2007, 04:32 AM
Heh, reminds me of my favourite PS3 moment so far. I went in to the Wal-Mart I work at to do some shopping and bumped into one of the electronics associates on the way in, talking to the customer service desk people as she was taking a PS3 back to the department. A PS3 that had been returned. With the following reason:

"The kids didn't want it."

Blitzkommando
Jan 13, 2007, 04:37 AM
The magical $500 price limit has been discovered over a decade ago. Remember the Jaguar? I thought not. How about the Sega CD? The problem is that most consumers want something that is not just amazing, but does their laundry and orders pizzas for them when the console jumps over the $500 price tag limit. It's part of economics 101, something called 'supply' outweighs something even more important 'demand'. At $500 many people would rather have a $500 computer, even if it were a 'hunk-a-junk' as it would simply be good for a child, a spouse that doesn't need much power, grandparents that are unable to purchase a computer due to money limitations, etc.

Or, hey, it could be a billion other things that could be purchased, food, clothes, Ipods for the kids, two PSPs and games, pay off bills, a pair of plane tickets... Who knows, but for whatever the reason there has never been a console that has launched well, let alone done well, after releasing at a $500 or more pricetag. The sweet spot, for a brand new console, has always consistantly been the $250-$300 range which is why the Xbox360 (basic version) and Wii decimated, and still are decimating, the sales charts. Fanboyism only goes so far until it's a choice between one's second kidney or the shiny new "SUPER MEGA GAME BOX 3.14159!"

The same limit is apparent on video playback devices (VHS and DVD for example). Actually it's probably closer to $400, but once VHS players dropped to the $350-$400 range sales went through the roof, and Betamax finally bit the dust. (This was partly because of a particular 'entertainment' industry backed the cheaper, again money talks, VHS format due to open licensing of the players and media-makers) The very same industry is backing HD-DVD because of the exact same reasons: It's cheaper and easier to produce but is inferior (barely this round) to the competing format in which case the capacity is lower between the two. The fact the PS3 is the cheapest BluRay player on the market, a real steal at $500 or $600 compared to the $700-$1500 for simple BluRay players is yet another shot in the foot when the competing HD-DVD players are as low as $350.

The problem with Sony, amongst dozens of other mega-corporations (Intel with the Pentium 4, GM and Ford with their higher priced automobiles compared to the cheaper, and many times superior Japanese [but built in the US] automobiles) believes that their product, in this round the Playstation 3, will sell just because of their name stamped on the plastic shell. While that works for cheaper products, like say an MP3 player or CD player (Apple perfected this with the Ipod) once you start to shell out over half a grand for something name starts to mean a hell of a lot less when you have competition at less than 50% of your cost and provides something (or somethings) you don't on your higher priced system.

However, as they say "The victor of the war is the side who makes the second to the last mistake." Thus, all it takes is an even grander foul-up by Microsoft or Nintendo and they could be right back where Sony is now. But, as of yet, Sony has made, and continues to make, the last mistake(s).

PJ
Jan 13, 2007, 08:44 AM
On 2007-01-12 21:13, UnderscoreX wrote:
Yes, the PS3 is doing terrible for a console that hasn't even fully launched yet.

Last I checked, the PS3 launched November 17, 2006.

EDIT: And in case you didn't pick it up, yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-01-13 05:44 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ever heard of Europe ? You know, the world's largest video game consumer market ?
I said FULLY for a reason.

darthsaber9x9
Jan 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
On 2007-01-13 09:45, UnderscoreX wrote:
Ever heard of Europe ? You know, the world's largest video game consumer market ?
I said FULLY for a reason.

Even just taking American sales into account, it's getting thoroughly trounced by the Wii. It's not as if some americans are waiting for the European release is it?

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
They're waiting for the actual good games to come, which aren't going to be out until the console is fully launched. And yes the Wii is out selling the PS3 in America for now, who didn't expect it to ? But will it's momentum carry on for the whole year, doubt it.

Banish
Jan 13, 2007, 02:40 PM
On 2007-01-09 22:05, Dangerous55 wrote:
The 360 and Nintendo are going to win. If PS3 fails they both win.

Agreed.

But I know that PS3 WON'T fail...

KojiroAK
Jan 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-01-13 11:29, UnderscoreX wrote:
They're waiting for the actual good games to come, which aren't going to be out until the console is fully launched. And yes the Wii is out selling the PS3 in America for now, who didn't expect it to ? But will it's momentum carry on for the whole year, doubt it.

Actually the problem is the "sharing/trading market".
people buy consoles on which they can share they games with others in the neighborhood or school pals and play with them.
That means, the more customer does have a console the more consoles will be sold, the more consoles been sold the more games are produced, the more consoles are sold.
That leads towards, that if you mess the start you mess the console.
Actually that was, what did happen to N64 and GameCube.

They messed the start -> less consoles sold -> less people you could share/trade -> less consoles sold -> less games made -> less consoles sold -> and so on...

What also comes at PS3 it seems it's expensive to produce games for the PS3, what means you would have to sell more games to make it profitable, so if Sony don't make steps forward, many producer will rethink if it's profitable to produce games for the PS3 or even to final the games they already produce.
Actually that would mean PS3 comes in high danger, that primary some conversions are sold which will be probably on the technical quality of the original console.
What would again mean, that Sony wouldn't have much stuff to provide the primary argument for PS3, the technical superior to their opponents.
That would lead towards, that people that look for Graphics and did wait cause of that for the PS3, would go for the XBox360.
While Sony couldn't get many of the Xbox360 customer.

(For what should you buy a more expensive console, that doesn't deserve more then the actual you have?)

It's seems the possibility of playing Blu-Ray movies won't mean that much, cause the support already tends towards HD-DVD.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2007-01-13 13:56 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 07:49 PM
Interesting, except that Sony stated that the PS3 has already sold more than the PS2 did by this point in time.
I like how I got swept into defending the PS3 anyways, i'm not even a real Sony fanboy, I just hate Xbox.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 13, 2007, 07:59 PM
On 2007-01-13 16:49, UnderscoreX wrote:
I just hate Xbox.

And that really poor N64, the old fool in this console race. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

It is still a little early and I don't know how any one manufacturer is called a winner, until the console stops being produced entirely, which is always a possibility. Look at the generally pretty swank Dreamcast and its downfall even with a low starting and crazy low final MSRP price.

I know the reasons why it didn't catch on and was dropped from the market by the way, no need to restate them.

It still is the only next gen hardware made in Japan.

Xbox360/MicroSoft will never win over Japan anything near the numbers of USA, or Europe/rest of the world for that matter, so being the only next gen (capable in terms of processing/specs) from Japan can lift it above mediocrity. At long as they don't keep making dog doo bad Gundam games like the launch title was. It can become a better seller even faster if they learn from the price point that Japan won't take that crap and lower it worldwide by anything at all- to start the inevitable annual price drops.

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 08:11 PM
I like the 64, I just couldn't think of anything positive to say in the other thread.

KojiroAK
Jan 13, 2007, 08:22 PM
On 2007-01-13 16:49, UnderscoreX wrote:
Interesting, except that Sony stated that the PS3 has already sold more than the PS2 did by this point in time.

Careful if Sony says sold, they mean sold to the shops not the customers.
What makes a little difference.

Hayabusa:
Xbox360/MicroSoft will never win over Japan anything near the numbers of USA, or Europe/rest of the world for that matter, so being the only next gen (capable in terms of processing/specs) from Japan can lift it above mediocrity. At long as they don't keep making dog doo bad Gundam games like the launch title was. It can become a better seller even faster if they learn from the price point that Japan won't take that crap and lower it worldwide by anything at all- to start the inevitable annual price drops.

Careful some times Europe runs behind the trends from USA, means if XB360 wins in America they have good chances to win in Europe.

Also till PS3 hits Europe, there will be already been
some more XB360 sold.

Well actually the stand of Wii in Europe isn't much different then in America, (sold at shipment + few hours), but i exclude it here since PS3 faces the same customers as XB360, so they would have to pull XB360 customers to the PS3 and it's pretty hard to get people to a system chance unless the older system is way behind the newer, what PS3 didn't proven yet.

from a personal view, i can't decide which i look as the lower evil, $ony or M$. Of course also Nintendo made some doubtable stuff (back in the 8bit area), but if you look at the circumstances some of them show a good reason. And at least Nintendo
revived the console market after the console crash.
(due of a out of bounds gotten War between Atari and an other company (don't remember the name), in which in short while updates of consoles did show up and at the game side was primary clones of a few games (so you did actually buy the same few games over and over again) what finally upset the customers which left finally the consoles behind and only some geeks shops was ready to buy consoles, what had would most probably left the consoles at the geek area).
So pretty much no Nintendo no PSX no X-Box. And Sega primary in Arcades and the geek area.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2007-01-13 17:54 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 08:55 PM
Okay I had to read your post like 10 times to actually understand what the hell you were talking about, anywayyyys it doesn't make a difference who Sony sold their consoles to, supplier or consumer, as long as my previous point stands, which it does, they sold more units then the PS2 did at this time. And no! I wont be careful.

Also, Playstation and Nintendo are incredibly dominant everywhere other than USA, because the Xbox is American made and designed for the general American gamer. Which seems to be a fan of shooters according to Microsoft.

DizzyDi
Jan 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
Heres what I don't understand?
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY is that so much Sony hate?
Did Sony rape your mother and shoot your dog or something? Jeezus people calm down. Its just a peice of hardward.
"YES SONY IS FAILING!" Why does this give you such a boner? I really don't get this train of thought.
Are you THAT into the console wars that you get an orgasm seeing a company fail? Are any of you even really effected by weather or not Sony "wins" the console race? Its really doubtful you are.

KojiroAK
Jan 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
On 2007-01-13 18:02, DizzyDi wrote:
Did Sony rape your mother and shoot your dog or something? Jeezus people calm down. Its just a peice of hardward.
"YES SONY IS FAILING!" Why does this give you such a boner? I really don't get this train of thought.
Are you THAT into the console wars that you get an orgasm seeing a company fail? Are any of you even really effected by weather or not Sony "wins" the console race? Its really doubtful you are.

One thing that brings people to smile when Sony goes down, because they have in mind those "supermenschen" PSX/PS2 owner in mind, which always claimed the superior of the Sony products and titled other products as gay or childish.

So many would be happy if this sort of people would vanish with the PS3.
(What they probably won't do, they will only switch to an other product)

also the outcome of the "console race" will affect the support of the consoles by publisher.

DizzyDi
Jan 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
On 2007-01-13 18:17, KojiroAK wrote:

One thing that brings people to smile when Sony goes down, because they have in mind those "supermenschen" PSX/PS2 owner in mind, which always claimed the superior of the Sony products and titled other products as gay or childish.

So many would be happy if this sort of people would vanish with the PS3.
(What they probably won't do, they will only switch to an other product)

also the outcome of the "console race" will affect the support of the consoles by publisher.

Yeah because those kinds of people certainly don't exist outside of the Sony circle.
*Looks at other posts in thread*
O wait, nevermind...

Also, in this generation there are RARELY any exclusives because of the massive cost it takes to create a game these days, publishers want the most out of thier product and going multi-platform can do that for them.

Anyway, these aren't justifiable reasons to celebrate the (detatable) failing of the PS3. What I see if just some stupid fanboyism.

UnderscoreX
Jan 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
Sadism, they get off in seeing Sony fail.

Wyndham
Jan 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
Dizzy, I don't hate Sony. I hate Sony fanboys who claim Nintendo is 1: gay; 2: for babies; 3: not worth it because it doesn't cost as much; and 4: a toy;.

KojiroAK
Jan 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
On 2007-01-13 18:22, DizzyDi wrote:
Yeah because those kinds of people certainly don't exist outside of the Sony circle.
*Looks at other posts in thread*
O wait, nevermind...

What you see in this thread is a reaction, to how this Playstaion guys was.

Just imagine, you are treated all the time by a group of peoples which always say you are inferior.
And then you see this "superior" group going down.

Now, how would you feel?

Kent
Jan 14, 2007, 12:22 AM
It's not sadism, or fanboyism.

At least, not on my part.

It's basically the epitome of the "I told you so" moments. This absolute failure of a launch, I, and most people intelligent and well-versed on the subject, saw coming from miles away.

It's not that there was any doubt in my mind of this happening - it's that I know a lot of people, Sony fanboys/girls, who would often boast about how "the PS3 is going to dominate the market/2006 holiday season/launch window." Obviously, it wasn't, isn't, and will not be, the dominant force. When it actually happens, is when fanboys/girls get put back in their places, and take their egos down a peg or three. Maybe they should just learn to stop being fanboys/girls.

RuneLateralus
Jan 14, 2007, 04:14 AM
Did Sony rape your mother and shoot your dog or something?

Close. Sony anally raped my mom while pouring sugar in my gas tank.

Seriously, for me, I laugh at the situation a lot, though not that much at Sony. More so at desperate eBayers saying their house burned down and they needed to sell their system to earn enough money to recover while putting up a picture of a scantily clad woman holding the system. I mean, come on. A bullshit story with a stupid pic and buy it now price of $10,000? Classy.

In all honesty, I do think Sony are getting what they deserve with all the "360 is not true HD" or "MS is not caring about the 360 owners" and "blah blah blah our system is better than 360 blah blah blah" banter they kept throwing out. I mean, don't deny it. Sony vastily hypes things way too much. Look at Killzone. Or remember that line that "PS2 games will look better than Toy Story" line?

Though to be fair, I laugh at how popular the Wii is now. I remember going to a Best Buy to buy one launch day and got there early about 3 AM. There were only 13 people in line. And by 6 AM, there were about 20. No one really showed up until opening and most of the people who showed up got one. Not to many seemed to care at that point, but then all the sudden, boom. It hit.

Do I want Sony to fail. Not really. But put some fucking decent games on the system. Not just Resistance. And right now, I am not impressed enough with Blu-ray to buy one for that reason alone (especially since I already got a 360 HD-DVD drive).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2007-01-14 01:27 ]</font>

Mitz
Jan 14, 2007, 05:04 AM
You'll want one when 12 layer players are affordable.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 14, 2007, 09:24 AM
On 2007-01-13 17:22, KojiroAK wrote:

Hayabusa:

Careful some times Europe runs behind the trends from USA, means if XB360 wins in America they have good chances to win in Europe.

Also till PS3 hits Europe, there will be already been
some more XB360 sold.

I meant Xbox will never win over Japan, like they have in USA, and can in Europe.

AC9breaker
Jan 14, 2007, 04:34 PM

i think its more about getting into the spirit of things. Remember when we where kids and it was Sega versus Nintendo? We look back at it and it was cool. I'm sure we all dreamed of seeing a Sonic versus Mario or something and the victor performing a Mortal Kombat fatality on the loser. Its the same reason why some of us get so into sports, becuase we want to, I think its a useful social method of channeling emotions as well.

Personally, I was upset that Sony planned on making such an expensive console to begin with. I myself hope to see it fail becuase it was too expensive. In my eyes, if Sony was successful then that would send a message to everyone that yes, people will pay these ridiculous amounts of money to play games. Then more companies will follow the leader and begin releaseing more consoles at ridiculous prices. Coming from a ghetto, and trying to pay my own way through school, it would be a terrible blow for me, the lower class American, who likes to play games. In the end though we all know that the console systems don't matter. Its all about the games. In that respect, both Microsoft and Nintendo are winners in my eyes.

g0r177az
Jan 15, 2007, 02:27 PM
On 2007-01-12 19:27, VioletSkye wrote:

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!!! That's insane!!!!!! Imagine what all the games will be like in the future!!!!!!!!

g0r177az

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!!! That's insane!!!!!! Imagine what all the games will be like in the future!!!!!!!!

g0r177az

Mitz
Jan 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
12 Layered discs (They exist, players just can't read them yet) holds 300 GB... lol

Kent
Jan 15, 2007, 06:58 PM
On 2007-01-15 11:27, g0r177az wrote:

Once techniques such as procedural synthesis/generation become more popular and efficient, huge disk sizes don't become all that necessary.

Of course, this doesn't mean that people won't keep using big chunks of data on big disks, such as HD-DVD, and holographic memory - just, as computers and processors get more powerful, and as programming techniques evolve, mass amounts of storage will become less critical for games.