PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 version US/JP voice differences chart, aka So, how

-Shimarisu-
Jan 10, 2007, 09:08 PM
One thing that was immediately obvious when I joined the 360 version was that a lot of the voices do not tally too well to the Japanese release. In fact, when you use your carefully chosen voice, you may sound COMPLETELY different to Japanese players. Some of you sound like crazy old men. Some of you sound stereotypically gay. I hope you know which number you picked because you might be in for a shock here.

I found out how these voices tallied with a friend, I would make a numbered voice, and he would come on with the same numbered voice, and it would sound different in Japanese. Then we'd do !11 and !10, as SUV and nanoblast all have speech in Japanese. I'd write down what was said, and we'd move on.

There are 14 voices in Japanese and only 10 in the American one. Some voices in Japanese are only available to Japanese players. If somebody used one I'd know they were certainly Japanese, as the US voices only map to 10 of the Japanese ones. Here's how it boils down.

Where US=JP:

1=1
2=3
3=5
4=6
5=7
6=9
7=11
8=12
9=13
10=14

Where JP=US (?s are because it was hard to fathom which some were. Many of the US voices sound similar. NONE have speech. My friend just couldn't tell which US voice I was using.):

1=1
2=?
3=2
4=?
5=3
6=4
7=5
8=5 - woot I use voice 8, JP only, but you hear voice 5, as you would if I used 7.
9=6
10=?
11=7
12=8
13=9
14=10

Right, here's how the male American voices sound to the Japanese. We did the male voices, as I was trying not to sound stupid to American players. So I'll break down the female voices later - it's likely you will NOT sound so stupid as some of the male ones!

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 1

Congratulations, you sound like a young boy. That's what you wanted, right? It tallies well to Japanese. You say "Boku no chikara, misete yaru! Koi!" as SUV (I'll show you my power! Bring it!) and "Mou okotta zo! Uoo!" (I'm mad now! Raargh!) as nanoblast. When you die you say "Uaaa" (Argh) and when revived you say "Mada yareru ze" (I can still go for it!). You make generic cries when casting techs.

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 2 (voice 3 japanese)

You still sound like a kid. JP wiki says a "young person" but to me you're barely pubescent. SORRY! You're a bit more polite in your speech than 1. You say "Shichi no chikara misete agemasu" (I'll show you the power that will bring your doom) as SUV and "Boku o okorasemashita ne...uooo" (Now you've gone and made me angry) as nanoblast. When you die you say "Sumimasen" (Sorry) and when revived, "Tasukarimasu" (I'm saved.) Among your casting, you say "Kurae" (Take this) and Dou da (How's this?)

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 3

You sound nasal and weird. JP wiki says it's a "fat person". A comedy fat person then. Actually yeah, you sound pretty stupid to Japanese players. You say "Kore de owari ni shite yaraaa!" as SUV (With this, I'll bring about your end!) and "Mou gaman naranee, uooo!" (I just can't hold back any more, raargh!) as nanoblast. YOu cry out at death and "Fun, motto hayaku tasukero yo na!" (Huh, can't you save me a bit more quickly?!) when revived. You have a stupid laugh when casting.

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 4

You have, IMO the best voice in Japanese (JP voice 6.) Which is funny really because according to my friend, your voice sucks in the US version. You sound like a "young person" according to JP wiki, but I'd put this voice at regular pitch as that of somebody around 20-25 years old. You have the BEST SUV speech - "Minna hanarete kure! Kuru zo!" (Everybody out of the way! It's coming!) and you say "Chikara ga... minagitte kita! Uooo!" (The power... wells within me! Rarrgh!) as nanoblast. You say, haha, you say "Kuso... dame da" (Shit, it's hopeless) when you die and "Arigatou tasukaru!" (Thanks, I'm saved!) when revived. You say "Iku ze" (Here we go), "Kurae" (Take this) and "Kore de dou da" (How about this) when casting. You're awesomely cool. I never used anything BUT this voice on JP.

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 5

You sound like an adult. A pretty big guy in Japanese. Actually this voice is low in Japanese, lower than the US version. The US version is my favourite voice, but the JP equivalent (voice 7) is too low. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif You say "SUV uepon, kidou kaishi shimasu" (Engaging SUV weapon) as SUV, and ok.... my favourite nanoblast line, "Konna sugata ni naritaku nai n desu ga ne" (I don't really want to take on this form, but...). When you die you say "Sonna... masaka" (No way... impossible) and "Mada tatakaemasu" (I can still fight) when revived. You say "Kurae nasai" (Take this) and "Owari desu" (It's over) when casting.

IF YOU CHOSE VOICE 6

AHAHAHAHA, you sound really gay. Gay as Hard Gay. You use feminine pronouns and a falsetto laugh. I'm really sorry, I expect you wanted to sound cool? According to my friend, this is a stereotypical kinda snooty newman sounding voice in the US version. I've actually only heard it on male newmen (poor guys). You say "Ohohoho!" in a high pitched squeal on the third strike of your attack (loling). You say "Atashi datte dekiru n dakara, kamooon!" (I can handle this myself, so, come on!) in a VERY feminine tone as SUV, and "Ohoho, kono karada wa minakatta koto ni shite ne" (Ohoho, I'll make it like you never knew this body) as nanoblast. You say "Dame ne... atashi..." (Goodness... I...) when you die and "Kono kari kaesu wa" (I'll repay this debt) when revived. YOu screech "Ohohohoho!", "Kore wa dou" (How's this) and "Kurae nasai" (Take this) when casting.

More to follow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-01-10 18:26 ]</font>

Sychosis
Jan 10, 2007, 10:13 PM
I don't remember which number I picked exactly, I'll test it out tomorrow. I'll know the voice when I hear it.

I certainly hope I don't sound too butch. Don't want to give the JP the wrong impression. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

The only thing I remember you telling me was that I say "How's this"

It is neat though to at least read what it is you say to the Japanese.

VanHalen
Jan 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
oh no im a newman and i think i picked voice 6 *whew* good thing im not on 360 but voice 4 JP was my favorite one also when i heard it on the character create website. i was hoping the US would have something equally as cool but i guess the US voices are ok too

huntlyon
Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 AM
pffftt.. like we're worried about the fringe japanese audience that actually *owns* a 360...

are they like our own bizarro versions of the will-correct-you-on-pronounciation-of-word-"manga", final-fantasy-soundtrack-import-buying, no-business-wearing-that-cosplay-outfit Japanophiles in the states?

-Shimarisu-
Jan 11, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm part of that fringe japanese audience that owns a 360, you probably sound really silly to me.

And why would they be like that? Um no, most of em are just online gaming fans who want to play on a secure system.

There's a good few thousand of em too you know. At least 200 on in Uni 16 at any one time, can rise to 300 and a good amount on uni 1 too. Never had them in game?

huntlyon
Jan 11, 2007, 12:46 AM
On 2007-01-10 21:40, -Shimarisu- wrote:
I'm part of that fringe japanese audience that owns a 360, you probably sound really silly to me.

And why would they be like that? Um no, most of em are just online gaming fans who want to play on a secure system.

There's a good few thousand of em too you know. At least 200 on in Uni 16 at any one time, can rise to 300 and a good amount on uni 1 too. Never had them in game?

I hate the reliance on a keyboard... but dealing with non-english speakers is easier with text as opposed to voice.
catch 22...

the last time I played someone from Japan was back when Phantom Dust was still prime.

Sychosis
Jan 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
I find it easier to deal with JP players via headset. I can actually fake japanese on that. Can't type in japanese though...

VectormanX
Jan 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
I have voice 5 on JP http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dhylec
Jan 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Interesting. Something that non-JP players wouldn't know.

Stixx
Jan 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
Is there any way to sub in the JP voices on the US version? (Like .dat file swapping from FFXI).

_DooM_
Jan 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
o shyt! i think i got voice 6

-Shimarisu-
Jan 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
I was playing in a team yesterday with a US guy who had voice 6 and a japanese player. It makes me wonder if the Japanese know the US voices were redubbed, or if it comes across like we have amazingly poor taste.

Anyway I'll get around to the others, plus female voices later.

Tycho
Jan 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
Read it just for the hilarious comments. :>

roygbiv
Jan 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
Oh man this is amazing! SOUNDCLIPS! ;o;

-Shimarisu-
Jan 11, 2007, 04:57 PM
I dunno if anyone has a video or sound file of the Japanese voices so you can tell how daft/cool you sound?

Arislan
Jan 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'd love to hear voice 6 personally. Watching JP variety shows with crossdressing SMAP was a balanced part of my daily diet while I was living in Japan.

LeMan_Bayon
Jan 11, 2007, 11:16 PM
Very interesting. I was wondering how if they gave the jp 360 version the US voices since it was on our servers or not. Does anyone know if this game is region locked? I wonder if I got the jp ver if I could still use my account since the gaurdians license is tied to my gamertag. I liked the jp voice way more the voice I have now.

-Shimarisu-
Jan 12, 2007, 02:20 AM
It's not region locked, no idea if you can use the same account on a JP copy if you've already regged on US though. I'd have to ask my friend to try my account on his. Would I get my wrists badly slapped for that (suddenly logging in in the US instead of Japan).

There are definite advantages to having a Japanese version if you can read a bit of Japanese. First off you can type in Japanese. SEcond off, you can search Japanese shops, as well as US shops. I'm not sure how it works, but every item placed in a shop on the Japanese copy can only be searched for in katakana. This is what makes me wonder what would happen if I logged in on the US ver. Hmm. Thing is though, Japanese shops are much more fairly priced than western ones. No clue why but it's saving me a fortune.

Other advantages is everyone thinks you are Japanese. Don't wanna talk but don't wanna get kicked for not doing so? Put your greet message in a mixture of Japanese and English. Since I started doing things like this I don't get kicked any more for not talking. I don't have a headset. Hell I've even died once or twice and not been kicked. WHO WOULD KICK A FRIENDLY JAPANESE PLAYER? Yep, this game is full of japanophiles and I don't half milk it.

Your PM and NPC will also spout Japanese too, even to people on a US copy. You can start your own parties, have people join and not chatter at you incessantly. IT'S BLISS.

I have a spare Japanese copy that my 360 ate and I need to get resurfaced. If it works I may offer a trade on the boards. My good undamaged copy for a US copy. I'd love a US copy too. I actually don't like my voice, I picked it so it would sound good to the majority of people who heard it. It's voice 8, it's too deep and I prefer what you hear, voice 5.