PDA

View Full Version : Is Version 2 still played online for the DC? please reply

cashizslick
Nov 29, 2002, 12:04 AM
Hi, i recentyl got back online, and was wondering if it was worth getting an HL and playing PSO v2 for DC online. Are the servers even running? Can you guys give me any information about this? THANKS IN ADVANCE

rena-ko
Nov 29, 2002, 05:00 AM
yes, i still play (since theres no hl-fee here ^_^):

around 90 people per server-set are online during week (at around beep 0 / met 1:00 am)... that are less than 300 world wide. its a bit more at weekend but well. never over 500 at once.
millenium is back there since she seemed to were away for some weekends... the curiosity around her seemes to have settled down a bit. there are still some v2-people from the us online, but mostly us-servers are dominated by white names.

well, overall... its quiet... a bit too quiet...

RedFox
Nov 29, 2002, 05:58 AM
when are you on rena? and what ship/block? i sometimes go online to do endless nightmare4 or ttf but thats all...

charr
Nov 30, 2002, 11:50 AM
I'm tempted to jump on DC because I'm pretty unhappy with GC PSO and the keyboard nonsense.

Isn't Sega going to close the DC servers on Dec. 31? I read that on Sega.com

Some increible hacker out there should make a server so DC PSO can live forever. Barubary?

Sapphire87
Nov 30, 2002, 01:20 PM
The U.S. ships are quite barren these days. You'll occasionally find a handful of little kiddies with their Gameshark toys who still go around FSODing and NOLing unsuspecting noobs, even though the game is more than 2 years old and noone with an I.Q. over 10 even cares about that kind of crap anymore.

Drayma
Nov 30, 2002, 01:47 PM
People are playing and usually its with someone they know already us side, european players don't have to pay for HL so good chance you can find a game. The Japanese servers *seem* like a sex cult online and hard to find anything other than ultimate games, but there are still players.

btw millenium doesn't protect US ships. damn those linux kits.

cashizslick
Dec 1, 2002, 08:00 PM
They are gonna cancle the servers!!!!?????!!!! I hope not. Can anybody confirm this?

By the way, i have been waiting to get online for so long. I have a level 110 Humar that was made with no online help. Is the Broadband adapter still available? Do HL fees still exist? Thanks alot for the previous posts, im sorry these are such dumb questions.

rena-ko
Dec 2, 2002, 08:50 AM
be careful with your lv110-char - i advise not to get to poluted us-servers. and not to stay in lobbies too long - and not go into a game, come out and hang in lobbies. because when you get fsod now, you'll lose your unequipped stuff.

anyway: always check to have no unequipped precious items with you!

problem is, it will be difficult to find non-password-non-ultimate-games by now... try in c-mode to convince others that you are not a thief...

um... sex cult? ... huh? o_o;;

could someone post a link to this strange 'we close servers at sylvester'-page? thank you

addition: a poster at pso-forums at sega-com says, the servers stay up and just go down for maintenance. since i consider the serverdown as a rumor, i hope the best for that...
(i mean, there are still people that CAN not buy the GCNpso or XBOXpso yet...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-12-02 06:00 ]</font>

cashizslick
Dec 2, 2002, 09:21 AM
The games are really that locked up? Wow, there must be alot of thiefs online now. So the servers are still working and wont be shut down? If i do get back online, will it be Real Hard to find an Ultimate mode Game? Why are the US servers poluted?

-thanks

rena-ko
Dec 2, 2002, 09:35 AM
well, it started with people who bursted in open games and kill/nol/fsod/etc... everyone inside. so people began to lock games.

well, its not just for thiefs and player killers, there are also some 'harmless' morons out there, like in every onlinegame.

the us-servers, poluted... hm... well, at least oberon-01-01 is all time filled with people ^_^

as for the servershutdown:
as long as i know, the shutdown is rumor. but the 'news from the sega-com-forums' i mentioned above is also rumor.
i did not found any official word about it till now... well, we'll see...

cashizslick
Dec 2, 2002, 09:42 AM
Hey Renko, Thanks for the information. If i ever get back online, youll have to help me get used to online play again. So all i have to do is just get the BBA, and go online and buy the HL right? I dont need the browser disk or anythin?
-thanks

HappyFaceCrew
Dec 2, 2002, 11:58 AM
Yes they will shut the servers down by the end of 2002 so that they can focus on the servers for GCN, PC, and XB.

cashizslick
Dec 2, 2002, 01:36 PM
This game is out for the PC? didnt know that. And thanks for clarifying the server shutdown date.

Rich_T
Dec 2, 2002, 02:08 PM
The servers closing at the end of this year are the seganet servers for dreamcast games other than PSO, Phantasy star online ( servers/are) is managed by Isao.net, and not by sega.
The dreamcast version of PSO will probably have its servers scaled back, before a shutdown.

cashizslick
Dec 2, 2002, 02:12 PM
Can PSO v2 for DC be played online with the BBA? I have a LAN and my cpu uses an Ethernet card and cable to get online, does the BBA work with that?

Kemon
Dec 2, 2002, 05:16 PM
I cant get on help and hurry i want online and play but it says i have wrong nickname or password helP!

cashizslick
Dec 2, 2002, 05:29 PM
On 2002-12-02 14:16, Kemon wrote:
I cant get on help and hurry i want online and play but it says i have wrong nickname or password helP!

Huh?

HappyFaceCrew
Dec 2, 2002, 10:55 PM
I believe that there was a way of setting it up with the JP version of PSO Ver 2 but i dont think that it works with the US version. If anything go to dc.ign.com cuz thats where they should have the info on the BBA support.

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 07:27 AM
bba for dc are expensive and sold out. there was a request from the company who made them, if japanese players would like a restock on bba. i dont know what happened with that.

bba for dc are difficult to set up with long log-in-numbers. you'll have to use a router for this.

when you have problems with wrong pw/user-name then you should check, if your username needs an appendix or something... mine did - its like 1und1/[email protected] - and i had some trouble to set that up at first, because i only used the "........" pi-number/name.

@ashizslick
say when you're able to get online, we could set up a meeting then ^_^ good luck.

ps: nya, i got right with the servers - bah, i never played chu chu rocket or any other dc-game online (accept shen mue 1 but they closed that online-content a long time ago)...

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 11:10 AM
well, i am not about to pay for dial up internet when i already have LAN, so i guess i wont be getting online as quick as i thought. I guess that means that i will have to wait for the Xbox version to come out.

Rena-ko-Thanks for the offer. Maybe sometime when i get online, ill contact you through this site or somethin.

Man, i remember how fun online was back when i first got the DC and v1. Played for 4 free months and met alot of cool people and had so much fun, too bad it has changed so much.

Malkavian
Dec 3, 2002, 11:51 AM
there's still people playing

Last days I have seen 300-600 users worldwide. But if you don't have friends is really hard to find people to play with.

RedFox
Dec 3, 2002, 11:58 AM
whos this millenium person? i hear stories of a crime fighting RAcast going by the same name but i dont know what/who to listen to...

can someone set me straight on the issue?

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 12:03 PM
@cashizslick
hm, there is an option to get your dc with 33k-modem via another dial-up-modem to connect to your pc instead of dialing an outside server.

http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm

you need:
-56k-modem (recommended),
-the software mentioned and
-an us-dreamkey (?) (2.6) for this.
it doesnt work with the european dreamkey 3.0 because that one doesnt support 'blind dial'... well try the link to find everything out...

btw... youre getting pso for x-box only? well, then good luck - i'll be on the 'other' side. (note: i did not say 'better' or anything like that - live and let live)

@RedFox
millenium is a short RAcaseal standing in one corner of the first european ship AND the first japanese ship (01-01-01) - she reports fsods, kicks out anyone with activated cheatdevice (i've seen that once!) and responds on several questions.
sometimes she walks around.
barubary claims to know her creator (his japanese friend with the female name - sorry i forgot...) - she's a bot and records every chat happened.

@Malkavian
yes, true, some people are still up... and also true, only play with long time teammates... like i do.
i for myself are only openminded with my not-so-old-charas... once they hit lv100 i dont use them to hang around lobbies anymore...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-12-03 09:25 ]</font>

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 12:22 PM
On 2002-12-03 09:03, rena-ko wrote:
hm, there is an option to get your dc with 33k-modem via another dial-up-modem to connect to your pc instead of dialing an outside server.

you need an us-dreamkey (?) (2.6) for this.
it doesnt work with the european dreamkey 3.0 because that one doesnt support 'blind dial'... well try the link to find everything out...

Is this dangerous for my PC? i have windows XP, will that work? It sounds like a great idea, if you could answer my Q's on getting it setup, that would be cool.

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 12:29 PM
On 2002-12-03 09:03, rena-ko wrote:

you need an us-dreamkey (?) (2.6) for this.

Is it neccesary for me to have a 56k modem installed in my PC? I only have an Ethernet Card, do i need to buy a modem? thanks for this info

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 12:52 PM
i'll try my best to help you.
i once had the option on broadband at home and informed myself on this matter and since i study informatics i'm not that bad on hardware issues neither, so please feel free to ask.

hm... where are you from? europe or northern america?
i dunno about winXP, but when you get winroute to run, it may work.
this wont in no way damage your pc - at least when you're careful when plugging the modem-card in (if you use a modemcard) ^_^;

edit:
yes you need any dial-up-modem (90k/56kbit/sek) to work as a connection to your dreamcast - either a pci-card, or an external (usb/serial)... as long as your windows recognizes it as modem, everything is fine.

edit2:
also a 33.6k-modem should work, if you get one for cheap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-12-03 10:10 ]</font>

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 01:44 PM
Rena-ko, I am from Massachusetts. It seems that for me to do this DC trick, i need to go buy the PC card modem, and get all the conncetions setup. I will look into this because i really wanna play PSO v2 online. How much does a PC card 56k modem cost? Do i need the browser disk for my DC?

I am a know-nothing when it comes to CPU's, but i think i could figure this out.

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 02:03 PM
since you're from the us i guess you allready have the dreamkey 2.6 (or how ever its called infront of that serial number) - go at the site i mentioned above and compare the menu-layout, if you're not sure.
(or more important: try to check the steps and look that every option you have to configure later, is really configureable)

modem-pci-cards are rather cheap - ask your friends (for a second hand card or good advice) before you go and buy a new one, though.
(at my local hardware-discounter, there's one for 10 euro - so around $10 US should be your goal)

the site has it written down almost idiot-proof (no offense, really ^_^;;;). so when you follow the steps, you should get it running.
to calm you down: its really an easy task, when you have the right parts at your hand.

good luck (you'll need it mostly to find an inexpensive modem-card)

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 02:09 PM
thanks alot, ill go to my pc store and price modem cards. thanks for the site info. Ill fuss with it in the next few weeks and see what happens. Do you have AIM or MSN messenger?

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 02:10 PM
no, but you may feel free to private message (pm) me here in this forum...
(one of the little icons below my posts... i thought i mention that just in case ^_^;)

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 02:13 PM
Ok, thanks,

What is Dream Key 2.6? Is it part of my DC?

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 02:23 PM
its a cd with the software on it for the internal dc-modem. i guess you got a second disk with pso v2? if not, ask a local gamestore, if they have one... or...

cashizslick
Dec 3, 2002, 02:37 PM
i dont recall getting a second disk with my v2 disk. ill have to go to a gamestore and get that also i guess. oh well.

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2002, 02:44 PM
well, if my memory doesn't trick me, it was about 10 euro for this disk to import, but you should still get it for free, when you call sega of america.

try to contact them first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-12-03 11:45 ]</font>

foghat5
Dec 5, 2002, 04:11 AM
I really hope you are able to get that PC-DC server to work. I tried it several times and was never able to make it work. I even tried to build a phone line simulator, but I could find all but one part, so I was never able to make it all work. Hopefully you wont have to go through the hassle that I did.

rena-ko
Dec 5, 2002, 06:03 AM
you used that site too?
i am curious if it works.
when i tested, the only thing i couldnt do was setting up the dreamcast because i didnt had the required dreamkey that time...
i tested it at a friends place and he said, the winroute-tool works fine for him.

JorJorMogBoi
Dec 26, 2002, 02:06 PM
o.o! Yes, yes! Foghat, are you talking about that electrolyte capacitor? Because if you are, ME TOO! I know this topic is old, so... but I posted a new one in the Tech Support section dealing with this. Hopefully someone replies.

rena-ko
Dec 26, 2002, 04:39 PM
woah... i just read the other topic you dug out - good thing i did not invested any money in my try to get it worked o_o; since id would have here...

well... its only around 2 1/2 months to go and i have to decide if i really take the step over to version 3...

NoeGenisis
Dec 27, 2002, 11:31 AM
I havnt played pso dreamcast since september cause it was just too risky to play.
Also in other threads there is a lot of talk about the GC pso being doomed well my view now is that i dont mind as now i can play pso with my m8s with the 4 player offline mode.
I heard and read that the servers were going down at the end of December rumour or not we will soon find out..................

Spektrum
Dec 27, 2002, 03:36 PM
On 2002-12-02 08:58, HappyFaceCrew wrote:
Yes they will shut the servers down by the end of 2002 so that they can focus on the servers for GCN, PC, and XB.

Rumors, rumors and rumors...Why would they shut the servers down when people still play the game online? If you bought a online game you would want to play it online untill you get bored of it or just dont feel like playing it anymore you dont wana stop play the game just because the servers are going down right? so why would the srevers go down??? We payed for the game now we want to enjoy it for as long as we feel!

rena-ko
Dec 27, 2002, 04:22 PM
like said allready, this 'server shut-down'-rumor evolved from a post on sega's page's news-section. they said all game-servers for dreamcast-online-games will be shut down by newyear except the PSO-servers.

Vantamiath
Dec 27, 2002, 04:34 PM
my classmate said they close in february, he emailed them. But, who knows?

rena-ko
Dec 28, 2002, 01:53 PM
hm... february then... i see...
its not that they cant, but i doubt they would disconnect an successful onlinegame when those people who're still playing dont have another choice (in therms of pso).

in other words:
since european version gets released around february, this seems logical.