PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think it couldn't happen to you

BurnPilot
Nov 29, 2002, 04:12 AM
It does. Character saves corrupted and I lost 100 hours of game time. I was trying so hard to be careful because of the stories I had heard and hadn't had a single problem until this. Needless to say I'm bummed... I can only guess how the people feel that put more time into the game than I did, those guys who had characters over 120. Well guess it's a good thing that I gave away pretty much all my old items I wasn't using anymore last night while I was online.

Maybe I will try again and stop worrying about losing things now that it has happened once. Maybe the game will be more fun since I won't be worried about that. I sure hope so.

rena-ko
Nov 29, 2002, 04:34 AM
my condolences. -_-

but...
how had it happened?
out of nowhere or through a connection-problem?

Topazfalcon
Nov 29, 2002, 05:09 AM
What I am curious to know is, is this only happening to those who use the 251 memory cards... is so, then I may be in for a bit of trouble. if it seems to happen with any memory card *being of nintendo brand, I do not use 3rd party stuff* then i will not worry about it until it happens to me. My condolances though, is harsh when that happens, have had that happen to me in a few psx games.

Naer
Nov 29, 2002, 05:54 AM
Don't feel too bad, I lost so many characters I've lost track but that was back in the DC PSO days =). It sucks none the less.

BonusKun
Nov 29, 2002, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear abotu your loss dude.

I pretty much kept my RAcast Algar under a tight leash and after 1400 hours of gameplay, I was thankful that I hit Level 200 and was able to put another chapter of gaming behind me.

Version 2 was such a mess. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

sonicblue
Nov 29, 2002, 07:35 AM
Does anyone know if this problem happens to people that use Memory Card 59's? Or are the majority of people that are getting corrupted use 251's? I play with a Memory Card 59 and the scariest part is that there's four characters on the damn file. If it get corrupted then I lose all 4! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif The Xbox version is suddenly looking a lot better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sonicblue on 2002-11-29 04:47 ]</font>

CorneliusPower
Nov 29, 2002, 08:23 AM
I currently use 1 character on a 251 card and my other on my 59 card. I put way too much on these characters, like 100 hours+ each to only to lose my data for no reason...X Box is out of the question at this point considering i put way too much money into the Gamcubeversion, BBA, HL, the game itself, 251 card, and a router, not to mention the priceless hours of playing it. how did you lose your character Burnpilot? i deposit everything except my armor, shield and slot items and items like mates....well this topic is surely NOT to be ignored, considering it can happen to anyone. I use BBA so I feel like I rule out most problems like this........or do I? is it 251 or 59 card, hmmmm, reply peoples!!!!!

MalambisBZ
Nov 29, 2002, 08:52 AM
BurnPilot, did you disconnect the internet cable and wait for it to disconnect? What memory card were you using?

sonicblue
Nov 29, 2002, 08:56 AM
And I thought PKs were bad. I'm officially too scared to play PSO. Thanks Sega.

DreeElle
Nov 29, 2002, 11:07 AM
Hello!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about what happened. =( Was it on a 251 memory card? (My dad got me one for my birthday when I got PSO) If so.. thank you for the warning. And I hope you will be able to get your characters back. =)

Take care!

Toyzferall
Nov 29, 2002, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear that man. Here's some advice for players: Use NOTHING but a 51 block official Nintendo card. I am, and I haven't had any problems yet. Except a connection problem, but all I lost in that deal was about 10 Dimates and a Slicer of Assassin. I haven't heard any reports of problems from anyone usingf a 51 Nintendo card. It's the safest route.

HUcastAndroid888
Nov 29, 2002, 11:20 AM
Its a 59 memory card, not 51.

BurnPilot
Nov 29, 2002, 03:08 PM
For the most part it was completely random. My roommate had played it a couple hours before with no problems, then quit. Then I turned it on and it popped up the message saying the data was corrupt and I needed to erase it. Trying to be smart I then turned off the Gamecube and went into the memory card manager and deleted everything but the character info, praying that it would let me keep that. When it started back up though it flashed a quick message saying it had to delete it and then deleted it without me saying yes. So I am now back at level 1.

I was using a 251 memory card from Nintendo so maybe that was the problem (It was the card I left in for all games and didn't think of pulling out 59 when I got PSO). It had other games saved on it (none of which had been played since I got PSO). I'm wondering if all the re-writes/saves from online play might cause problems for the 251 or something. I have since dug out my old 59 card and am going to use that for PSO only.

The thing that sucks it the fact that I was just getting into games where people really worked like a team. They stayed close enough for shifta/deband and hunters wouldn't go running to the other side of the room leaving me and the force to get mauled by the creatures they passed on the way. Ah well, at least I can find a way to get a section id other than Oran for my RAmar now and maybe actually find some guns.

BurnPilot
Nov 29, 2002, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah, one other thing. So far my internet connection has been pretty much flawless. To my knowledge at least. I have RoadRunner with all 4 of my available ips activated (think this results in them giving you extra bandwidth), so no real lag and not a single disconnect. I would much rather have been disconnected and lost weapons and stuff because then at least I would still be able to play with high level characters. As I mentioned before, people with higher level characters seem to be more enjoyable to play with because they function more as a team and also don't rush around grabbing everything as much.

Ina
Nov 29, 2002, 03:21 PM
Argh!!! Amen~~~ -_- Sorry to hear that....

But I heard a lots of ppl saying that from JP GC PSO time, there was problem with 251 and the PSO... I think its true now, since so many casualties.... anyway.... better get a 59?? it doesn't cost that much(i know it's kinda a waste... but at least u wont lose ur character(touch wood) again)....

GEEEZ I hate to hear that people 'works' in a 'team'... if I didnt misunderstood ur post, those people DO work in a team.... well, at least they did leave u some monsters to play with, instead of killing everything+taking everything)

Elusive_Llama
Nov 29, 2002, 03:25 PM
If I get a 59 Memory Card, can I somehow transfer all my stuff over from my 251 card?

BurnPilot
Nov 29, 2002, 03:40 PM
GEEEZ I hate to hear that people 'works' in a 'team'... if I didnt misunderstood ur post, those people DO work in a team.... well, at least they did leave u some monsters to play with, instead of killing everything+taking everything)

The best game I have ever played in PSO was within the last two weeks and here is how it went when we entered every room. There were 2 hunters and a force with my RAmar. Upon entering a room, the 2 hunters stayed between the monsters and me with the force right beside me as well. They engaged the monsters directly as I offered cover fire(with a spread gun or paralyzing them with visk) and the force used her magic. When their health started to go down either I or the force healed them and shifta/deband were cast pretty much instantaneously with them running out, by either me or the force. We all got our damage in and experience and no one was ever really close to dying. Every once and a while one enemy might break through the hunters but it could be picked up and destroyed before it got too close, plus the hunters never got out of shifta/deband range so it was never a problem. We cleared rooms in record time and no one picked up anything they didn't need or couldn't use. Best game I was ever involved in.

Compare this to the hunters darting across the room and leaving the rangers and forces to fend for themselves or try to run through the enemies to catch up to them, either of which would have the non-melee people engaging multiple creatures at close range. This is not the point of these characters and means death for my ranger on vhard. In my opinion the characters are meant to work together to be the most effective and the top example shows this and is how I like to play the game. I was never able to find a game close to this until I started playing in vhard with higher level people. Maybe some low levels play like this but I never found any.

CorneliusPower
Nov 29, 2002, 09:54 PM
So Burnpilot it's not for sure you lost your character because you were using a 251 card. Hmm, my lvl 88 HUmar is on a 251 card with my Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 0 save. Should I consider getting my HUMar on my 59 card anyway? Hmmm, i been hearing way too much bad stuff about the 251 card...no way in hell I'm losing my HUmar. I got my lvl 89 RAmarl on the 59 btw.....Ive experienced 1 FSOD and thats it. Besides that I've had a flawless experience with PSO on GC. A reply would be cool, thanks.

BurnPilot
Nov 29, 2002, 10:07 PM
I had heard bad things about PSO saves on the 251 as well and would have moved it to my 59 if I had the chance. Thing is that from what I have read there is absolutely no way to move the saves. When you go into our memory card manager all you get is the option to erase, no move or copy. Presumably this is to prevent duping and such. I even went through the manager and tried different ways to move it with no success. I just wish deleting all the other files would have allowed me to keep my characters, but I guess it has to do with the way the save system is designed.

I guess at this point I can just restate what I have heard everywhere else. Put PSO saves on a memory card 59 if you have one, instead of a 251. I haven't heard of them screwing up at all and while it make seem like a hassle to switch cards for games, it will be much better in the long run than having to start all over.

HUcastAndroid888
Nov 29, 2002, 10:27 PM
Same thing as Animal Crossing, it's safest on the 59 memory card and it can not be transfered, to prevent cheating.

mystic_knight
Nov 29, 2002, 10:32 PM
Sorry about your file man. But this sorta gives me some releif in the fact i was gonna get a 251 but didnt have the money that day...sometimes broke is a blessing, i guess.

Phobos-X
Nov 29, 2002, 11:41 PM
man i dunno about that 251 rumor, ive had a 251 since they first were released and ive had NO problem with PSO or any other game (knock on wood)

Codester
Nov 30, 2002, 12:45 AM
Scary... My PSO characters are all on my 59 since I got the Metroid Prime bundle from Nintendo about the same time as PSO, so I just used the memory card I got with it. I was going to make a new character on my 251, since my other cards are all full, but I think I'll pass on that now.