PDA

View Full Version : Hook me up!

Dangerous55
Jan 16, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hey buddies. I am getting a 360 this friday. I have a standard TV with the cable in the back. I had planned to use the red-white-yelow cables but my TV doesnt seem to have the slots for it. What should I get to hook the darn thing up? I think I used an RFU adapter for my PS2...

Kent
Jan 16, 2007, 09:41 PM
Microsoft officially killed support for RF in this generation. If you find an RF adapter, it's going to be a third-party one (and prepare for the most non-next-gen graphics ever).

You can find little RF switches at places like Radio Shack, however. It's a box that has audio (though, usually only one channel) and (composite) video input, which are what you need, and goes through the coaxial cable to your TV. That's probably your best bet, aside from just getting a new TV, which you'd need to really appreciate how good some of these new games look, anyway.

You could also hook it up to a computer monitor, via the VGA cables. I do that and, despite that it's only a 19" monitor, the games look downright fantastic.

Dangerous55
Jan 16, 2007, 09:54 PM
On 2007-01-16 18:41, Kent wrote:
Microsoft officially killed support for RF in this generation. If you find an RF adapter, it's going to be a third-party one (and prepare for the most non-next-gen graphics ever).

You can find little RF switches at places like Radio Shack, however. It's a box that has audio (though, usually only one channel) and (composite) video input, which are what you need, and goes through the coaxial cable to your TV. That's probably your best bet, aside from just getting a new TV, which you'd need to really appreciate how good some of these new games look, anyway.

Yeah I know, but the TV actually isn't that bad and I don't got alot of cash. But your saying, the little cables they pack with the system look alright if I had the right holes?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2007-01-16 18:55 ]</font>

Kent
Jan 16, 2007, 10:04 PM
Well, yes, considering that the system comes packed with a cable that can do both composite and component video. Unless you copped out and got the Core system.

If your TV had the composite (yellow, red, white) plugs, then yes, it'd look fine - not the greatest, by any means, but it's still look good. However, if it doesn't and you do some funky RF switch usage, then odds are, it'll look like ass - I did this with my Xbox, way back when, and the colors and brightness were off, to the point where adjustments on the TV itself couldn't correct it.

Dangerous55
Jan 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
On 2007-01-16 19:04, Kent wrote:
Well, yes, considering that the system comes packed with a cable that can do both composite and component video. Unless you copped out and got the Core system.

If your TV had the composite (yellow, red, white) plugs, then yes, it'd look fine - not the greatest, by any means, but it's still look good. However, if it doesn't and you do some funky RF switch usage, then odds are, it'll look like ass - I did this with my Xbox, way back when, and the colors and brightness were off, to the point where adjustments on the TV itself couldn't correct it.

Nah I am getting the Premium, Pro, 400 dollar one. I guess I am gonna have to look for a new TV 150 and under. Goddamn, my TV is from 2000 I figured it would have the holes.

Well I will save for a new TV. In the mean time I better get one of those adapters so I can actually use it. Could I trouble ya for a link? I ain't exactly sure what I am looking for.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2007-01-16 19:12 ]</font>

Kent
Jan 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
...From 2000? And it doesn't have composite video input? Weird...

Well, something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

It takes input from composite video or S-video, coupled with left and right audio, your TV coaxial cable goes in, and another coaxial cable comes out, and goes into the TV. It basically goes between the cable box and your TV, and puts its own signal in there, from whatever you have plugged in. I imagine this model, could be easily turned on and off, in case you want to watch channel 3 or 4 or whatever.

I'm fairly certain the crappy old one I had has since been discontinued, so this one might actually provide better picture quality - but don't get your hopes up.

Dangerous55
Jan 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
On 2007-01-16 19:38, Kent wrote:
...From 2000? And it doesn't have composite video input? Weird...

Well, something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095

It takes input from composite video or S-video, coupled with left and right audio, your TV coaxial cable goes in, and another coaxial cable comes out, and goes into the TV. It basically goes between the cable box and your TV, and puts its own signal in there, from whatever you have plugged in. I imagine this model, could be easily turned on and off, in case you want to watch channel 3 or 4 or whatever.

I'm fairly certain the crappy old one I had has since been discontinued, so this one might actually provide better picture quality - but don't get your hopes up.

Yeah, I can't find 'emon the TV unless I missing something. I'll have to pick that up or figure something out. The main TV at my house has connections but my TV at my college apartment is what sucks.

ABDUR101
Jan 17, 2007, 12:05 AM
If you work, or can get a job on the side, I'd recommend saving up for an HD TV. Rather than blowing $150 on a real shit TV, about a year ago I paid $650 for a very good Philips HDTV, has all the awesome plugs, etc. By now you can no doubt get a decent HDTV for $500.

You'll be glad you did in the long run, really.

Dangerous55
Jan 17, 2007, 12:07 AM
On 2007-01-16 21:05, ABDUR101 wrote:
If you work, or can get a job on the side, I'd recommend saving up for an HD TV. Rather than blowing $150 on a real shit TV, about a year ago I paid $650 for a very good Philips HDTV, has all the awesome plugs, etc. By now you can no doubt get a decent HDTV for $500.

You'll be glad you did in the long run, really.

I could. During the summer. But I wanna ace this semester, be lazy and play frisbee.

opaopajr
Jan 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
well, depending on what cables you got lying around and your monitor set up, you could possibly just use your PC monitor. just how many inches is this older TV set compared to your monitor?