PDA

View Full Version : In what way do Skills, Bullets, and Techniques level?

ChocoboChad
Jan 19, 2007, 03:22 AM
Either by simply performing the art (There's no way...) targets hit or damage done, which of the three two is it?

I've figured EXP is determined by hits after considering buffs and de-buffs. I've also considered that this method could be exclusive to only these two types. I've also thought of status effects, but I doubt that they have any effect on experience.

So, an official answer would be great. Opinions welcome.

Itsuki
Jan 19, 2007, 03:23 AM
It should be number of hits. Theres been numbers floating around but I doubt their accuracy.

ChocoboChad
Jan 19, 2007, 03:25 AM
Just as I thought. Thanks, Itsuki, for the quick reply.

rena-ko
Jan 19, 2007, 03:27 AM
numbers of hits.
each PA/bullet/tech has their own exp bar and you get 1 exp for each connected hit you do. the exception is resta and reverser (and probably giresta too, which will be a pain to level then) which only get exp for actually having an effect (refilling HP, curing some status allignment, reviving).
this makes 1on1 bullets so insanely hard to level as well as stuff like twin dagger PAs so extremely easy.

ChocoboChad
Jan 19, 2007, 03:43 AM
That makes good sense, rena-ko.

And for clarification on "connected hit," do you mean a consecutive hit without miss? Say, Hit-hit-miss-hit-hit would give 2%, while Hit-hit-hit-hit-hit would give 4%? Really, techniques would get percentage for every target they hit, unless a wasted cast counts.

Itsuki
Jan 19, 2007, 03:55 AM
On 2007-01-19 00:27, rena-ko wrote:
numbers of hits.
each PA/bullet/tech has their own exp bar and you get 1 exp for each connected hit you do. the exception is resta and reverser (and probably giresta too, which will be a pain to level then) which only get exp for actually having an effect (refilling HP, curing some status allignment, reviving).
this makes 1on1 bullets so insanely hard to level as well as stuff like twin dagger PAs so extremely easy.

Technically, bullets and skills need to inflict damage and not miss aswell... Isn't that the same as having an effect? Oh well, the clarification was probably needed~

rena-ko
Jan 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
indeed, itsuki is right.

"connected hit" probably confused things. i use that term to determine non-miss hits, but yes, this actually includes 0 damage hits. and thus 'connected hit' would be wrong in this case.

it goes as followed:

everything that tags is a hit.
0 damage isnt counted as hit.
thats the reason why healspamming a full HP char doesnt level resta.

hit hit miss hit hit gives you 4 exp for that PA. whether or not that is 4% depends on your PAs level and the exp needed to up it a level.

miss hit hit miss hit gives 3 exp.

just as a number thrown in:
spinning break needs 340 PAexp to reach level 5.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2007-01-19 07:54 ]</font>

Astarin
Jan 19, 2007, 01:19 PM
While someone has brought up the topic, I've heard that the buff TECHNICs (Shifta, Deband, Zodial, Retier) are really easy to level. Is that because they gain exp for every single cast?

Golto
Jan 19, 2007, 01:37 PM
I noticed something strange when lvling rifle bullets. First when hitting regular non-big boss enemies it would take 50 hits to gain 1% at lvl 20. I go in against the Grove S boss at lvl 20 98%. I finish that battle at lvl 21 6%. I know I did not do 400+ hits to it so do pa skills and bullets gain better against the big boss types? Is that why everyone says to solo spam Plains Overlord A for rifle lvling?

Tycho
Jan 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
The support techs are easy to level because they count as a 'hit' as long as they're applied on something at all -- apparently the case of the new cast making the effect last a bit longer saved it from being a complete pain to raise.

rena-ko
Jan 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
On 2007-01-19 10:37, Golto wrote:
I noticed something strange when lvling rifle bullets. First when hitting regular non-big boss enemies it would take 50 hits to gain 1% at lvl 20. I go in against the Grove S boss at lvl 20 98%. I finish that battle at lvl 21 6%. I know I did not do 400+ hits to it so do pa skills and bullets gain better against the big boss types? Is that why everyone says to solo spam Plains Overlord A for rifle lvling?

interesting theory. needs some large scale testing.

rena-ko
Jan 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
On 2007-01-19 10:19, Astarin wrote:
While someone has brought up the topic, I've heard that the buff TECHNICs (Shifta, Deband, Zodial, Retier) are really easy to level. Is that because they gain exp for every single cast?

nope, they work like all the other techs: you get 1 exp for each target you debuff.

so, lets say you find yourself a group of 6 pannons or polties or whatever is slow and small and doesnt hit you for more than 0 damage and spam debuffs until you reach at least level 11+.

counting idling to reload the rod into this, it took me a day. its way faster if you invest in recharge runs or photon charges.

tip: get yourself a bunch of rods, empty them all, then use a cosmo photon charge.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
what I don't understand is why they did not alter single hit items like rifle to require less hits to level. I've got a fricken PISTOL bullet I'm trying to level I'm deperately enptying the clip on anything that will sit still, and it's like watchign paint dry :-/

Itsuki
Jan 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
On 2007-01-19 11:16, SolomonGrundy wrote:
what I don't understand is why they did not alter single hit items like rifle to require less hits to level. I've got a fricken PISTOL bullet I'm trying to level I'm deperately enptying the clip on anything that will sit still, and it's like watchign paint dry :-/

Weapons generally level based on their maximum number of hits. Weapons that can hit a lot of times generally require more exp to level. The only major exception to this is Rifles. Bow and Handgun on the other hand require like 1/3rd the exp of rifles.

Spells like barta and zonde are often considered very hard to level. Because they can hit so many times, they require a lot more exp per level.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
Spells like barta and zonde are often considered very hard to level. Because they can hit so many times, they require a lot more exp per level.

and since they only inflict SE1...they are reviled ;-p

I wonder why rifles level slow, but bows level fast? What's *that* about!?
Even with the 1/3 they did not get it quite right. Multiple hit PAs, coulpled with multi target PAs mean the race to 30 is a simpler one for such weapons.

Ahh well. Rifles are still great. I can't wait to use killer shot to eliminate robots (thanks to your movie).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-01-19 11:43 ]</font>

vashspecter
Jan 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
i didnt read all of the post but i think that its if you kill a monster that you get points but it sounds more reasonable if it were per hit.