PDA

View Full Version : 360 Controller

Dangerous55
Jan 20, 2007, 03:32 PM
Got my 360. Pretty neat. Anyway I was playing Oblivion and the controller would turn off a few times every now and then. Deal?

DizzyDi
Jan 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
Not charged?
Loose battery pack?
Something wrong with the wire? (if its wired)

ABDUR101
Jan 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
The wireless ones sometimes shut off because of a loose battery pack. It can sometimes just slip out a tiny bit due to use, have had it happen to me on occasion.

Dangerous55
Jan 20, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hmm interesting. You can charge wireless ones instead of buying Bat Trees?

Kent
Jan 20, 2007, 10:21 PM
I use rechargable AA batteries, in mine, though there are specific rechargable packs you can get specifically for 360 controllers.

...That, or your controller is protesting usage to play the travesty that is Oblivion.

UnderscoreX
Jan 20, 2007, 11:46 PM
I thought they charge iPod style, usb through your computer ?
I remember seeing a friend charging his like that.

Dangerous55
Jan 20, 2007, 11:53 PM
On 2007-01-20 19:21, Kent wrote:

...That, or your controller is protesting usage to play the travesty that is Oblivion.

The game is amazing dude. Amazing.

ABDUR101
Jan 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
Kent's a gaming genius, so he knows what he's talking about. Your opinion be damned. =]

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 21, 2007, 01:41 AM
On 2007-01-20 20:46, UnderscoreX wrote:
I thought they charge iPod style, usb through your computer ?
I remember seeing a friend charging his like that.

I have that thing, USB recharge kit for the wireless controllers. Comes with the rechargeable battery pack to use in place of 2 AA batteries.

Kent
Jan 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
On 2007-01-20 20:53, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2007-01-20 19:21, Kent wrote:

The game is amazing dude. Amazing.

While I will agree that the game is an astronomical step up from how horribly Morrowind made baby Jesus cry, the improvements weren't nearly as much as I'd like to see. Graphically, it's just shy of nerdgasmic, and the usage of the physics system to calculate hits and misses was a step in the right direction... But it doesn't help the fact that the game still doesn't have a combat system worth mentioning. The depth of the game, is everywhere but the gameplay itself.

If they were to make Elder Scrolls V exactly the same as Oblivion, but instead, copy and paste the lightsaber combat mechanics from Jedi Academy over the current melee mechanics, then we'd have something special, and seriously awesometastic.

Of course, I expect an RPG to also make the player want to grasp and continue along the story. In a game like Final Fantasy XII (which I believe would be classified as a Massively-Single player Offline Role Playing Game), there's definate emphasis on the story, but there's also so much other stuff to do on the side - but it actually makes you want to continue the story. Oblivion and Morrowind are pretty much the exact opposite... There's a story, but the sheer amount of other stuff you can do, pretty much makes you lose interest in the otherwise lack-luster storyline of the game, and you just end up doing your own thing, until you get bored of it.

And by that time, you're too bored (with playing the game, in general) to want to continue the story, so you go play Guitar Hero or something, instead.

...If you can't tell, I don't lend too well to sandbox games. :/

Alielle
Jan 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
360 is a nice system, but the character models in Oblivion still look like ass.

And by that time, you're too bored (with playing the game, in general) to want to continue the story, so you go play Guitar Hero or something, instead.

Hell yeah, Guitar Hero rules http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ABDUR101
Jan 21, 2007, 03:24 PM
I do that all the time with sandbox games. Expecially Oblivion. I think I only got up to the main quests when the gates started opening in the world, maybe closed two of them, and I'm something like 36 and stopped playing. I've got most of the daedric artifacts and so on; and put the game down. I'll pick it up soon enough(after a LONG hiatus already) and jump back into it. I think thats what sandbox games are all about, you've got leverage to do what you want, but they're fun enough that you can put them down, and many months later pick them back up and go "Hell yeah, woohoo!". Mercenaries was much the same way, I had more fun running around and attempting to blow stuff up and hijack better vehicles, and if I haphazardly came across one of the deck-o-card members, even better, if not, no biggie. =]

Dangerous55
Jan 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
Well we play games for the wrong reason Kent. I love the game, I love roaming, collecting, eating, all the stuff. The graphics are great, controls are smooth it is just insanly deep. I loved Morrowind too. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I got some money, suggest a sweet game to buy. I want a deep, actiony shooter.

ABDUR101
Jan 21, 2007, 07:59 PM
You might like Battlestations: Midway coming out at the end of this month. Action RTS set in WW2, ship/sub/aircraft warfare with japanese and american forces. The multiplayer demo is up on LIVE.

There's a Crackdown demo coming out on the 23rd(tuesday) which is another sand-box-ish game, kinda like GTA but with actual rpg elements(your agent increases in ability with different weapon types, strength, agility, driving, etc).

As of late those are the only two games that have had my interest.

Sinue_v2
Jan 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
Oblivion and Morrowind are pretty much the exact opposite... There's a story, but the sheer amount of other stuff you can do, pretty much makes you lose interest in the otherwise lack-luster storyline of the game, and you just end up doing your own thing, until you get bored of it.

I don't know what you're talking about... Morrowind had an excellent story. The whole Nereverine bit, catching corpus disease, being hunted (somewhat) by the tribunal cult - reuniting the tribes, and (depending on which story you chose to believe) the final confrontation with Dagoth Ur was spectacular IMO. It didn't necessarily have the dramatic "Oomf" that a Final Fantasy game did - obviously because there is little to no character development other than what YOU provide, but the storyline surrounding the character which you could use to modify your own character is excellent.

Oblivion was a bit of a dissapointment in that it simply couldn't match morrowind storyline wise.

Other than that though, the game was ace - and IMO one of the best RPG's to come out in a long, LONG, time. (I lend heavily towards the sandbox type games).

The only real problem that broke the game to me was the fact that loot was scaled to your level. You could complete an insanely tough dungeon at a lower level and get nothing but crap rewards - but at lvl 20+, even common highway bandits carry some of the best gear. I know this was done to keep lower level people from obtaining highly powerful armor and weapons early on - but it's still pretty lame.

Thankfully it was fixed in a patch for the PC version.

360 is a nice system, but the character models in Oblivion still look like ass.

This too was fixed in a patch for the PC version. Honestly, if you have a decent enough PC, I'd just play that version WITH the 360 controller. The sheer amount of fan-made downloads and content is just extraordinary - and although most of it sucks, there's enough real gems there to really enhance the game far beyond the X360 version.

As for the controller - I couldn't say what the problem is outside of what's already been mentioned. Sorry.

washuguy
Jan 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
That's Microsoft for ya...

Dangerous55
Jan 22, 2007, 12:24 AM
On 2007-01-21 20:01, washuguy wrote:
That's Microsoft for ya...

Nah, it works fine now.

How big are the updates for the system? My friend was playing it and I swear it said I only had 10.2 GBs free on the HDD. I just got the damn thing and only have like 2 Oblivion saves. Whats the deal?

ABDUR101
Jan 22, 2007, 12:35 AM
There are vids on the HD already, you can delete them for the extra space. The updates for the system aren't all that large, even content downloads aren't all that large. You're good to go with HD space.

Orange_Coconut
Jan 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
It's interesting; I wasn't a big fan of the first Xbox, however, the Xbox 360 is very nice. Many if not all of its' games have online compatibility, even the ones you wouldn't expect. Plus the controllers are a lot nicer, the wireless is pretty spiffy too. I don't own a 360 but I go to my friend's house all the time to play Gears of War with him. We're waiting for another great co-op shooter for the 360.

Dangerous55
Jan 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
On 2007-01-21 21:35, ABDUR101 wrote:
There are vids on the HD already, you can delete them for the extra space. The updates for the system aren't all that large, even content downloads aren't all that large. You're good to go with HD space.

Is 10.2 free space normal right out of the box?

Ok...so the actual space I can use is 13.9. Even though it is 20GB?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2007-01-21 22:02 ]</font>

Kent
Jan 22, 2007, 07:30 AM
There are some pretty stupid little HD videos that come with the hard drive - just wipe them out, if you need space.

Which you probably won't, unless you have a ton of music on your machine (I have mine stream from my PC), or want to keep an archived history of every single video/demo you've ever downloaded. Which you don't.