PDA

View Full Version : My change in views on online games

Musashi
Nov 30, 2002, 02:08 AM
It seems like some online games can get old pretty fast. I love online games, they are incredibly fun but in my case with pso, the fun has worn out. I was mainly enthused about pso becuase of my first experiences with it(PSO on DC(not ver.2)), this was like the greatest game I thought, and I was playing with my friends. Well, ver.2 came along and I got really excited, but when I bought it and tried getting online, I wasn't able to for some reason(stupid dricas). So I had to wait a whole entire year to play the game I wanted to play so badly at that moment. Well, at that time to pass time, I picked up the game Dark Age of Camelot, a great game I must say, it was like a combination of my 2 favorite games(Diablo2 and PSO) however with a constant flowing world. Only thing that annoyed me with this game was that the battles were real time however, not real time in that you couldn't really decide when you attacked, err, you'd have to play the game inorder to understand what I'm trying to say. The game was great except for that. So after awhile I got bored with that game. Now PSO Ep1 and 2 came out. Another great game, however all my friends who said they were going to get the game never did, so I have no real friends to play it with, and not having a keyboard really makes it hard to make friends online. So now I've played Ep1 and 2 for awhile and now I am bored with it, no I do not have A.D.D., I just don't find this game that much fun with the things(no keyboard or friends), and also this game is a bit easy, so now I have taken a new outlook on games, the battle system of DAOC that I didn't like doesn't seem that bad, and I have many friends who play it. I may go back to this game when the expansion comes out december 3rd. DAoC and PSO are both great games in their own ways, each having something that the other doesn't, I like them both and I'm not saying I will quit PSO but maybe come back when the things that are missing in it for me appear(which they should). DAoC should be good.

pixelate
Nov 30, 2002, 02:46 AM
I think the mechanics of online games get reduced because of the fact they're online. Online games only have a certain number of ways to allow players to interact. Thankfully, though, most of those are addictive as hell, and they allow the most seemingly boring tasks to be enjoyable.

Ness
Nov 30, 2002, 10:32 AM
I like PSO ep. 1 and 2. And it's not that hard to make friends without a Keyboard. It may take long at first, but you get used to it.

TedEdFred
Nov 30, 2002, 08:16 PM
I feel the same way. I played over 2000 hours of version 1 and 2 on dc. Spent like $400+ for Ep. I & II played it non stop for 3 or 4 weeks. I also had a couple spurts of Diablo 2 in there. But now I can maybe stand to play through the Forest once, before I decide I'd rather sit around and stare at the walls. Maybe if I had a keyboard or could play with my DC PSO friends or there wasn't so much mix up with buggy versions and crap.

Dangerous55
Dec 1, 2002, 06:22 PM
PSO Ep1 and 2 does suck. People are just blinded because of how great Ver1 and 2 were.

SuperSubZero
Dec 4, 2002, 05:31 AM
PSO without a keyboard does sound rather bizarre. I mean one of the reasons to like PSO is the interaction and the collaboration. Players also tend to rely on each other. I mean come on, when's the last time you were playing as say, an Android, and a Force joins the game? This instantly creates a bond. One person shifta and heal, and the other makes with the killins. The Force immediately becomes "mom" to the other players.

And Challenge mode.. Especially if you don't have a pack of friends to do Challenge with, you NEED to build up social skills to get the right mix of players. Someone needs to know the map, someone needs to be good with some of the monsters, and someone needs to know them goofy puzzles.

This is why if Microsoft and Nintendo are going to be toying with the idea of MMORPG's on their consoles, they need to cave in to the reality that goofy addons like keyboards are REQUIRED for them. The interaction is as much a gameplay mechanic as levelling or equipping a weapon.

Shrevn
Dec 4, 2002, 01:03 PM
Im amazed how into the game i was when it first came out... now lol they ask me Whats pso? i say EH?
Its gotten really boring... lv up takes too long and with all the connection problems and now dupin going on... its really not as enjoyable as it was PLUS were paying.... Thats why if anyone sees me in socom get ready to die cause im comin afta YOU!

Dangerous55
Dec 4, 2002, 02:02 PM
On 2002-12-04 10:03, wobba wrote:
Im amazed how into the game i was when it first came out... now lol they ask me Whats pso? i say EH?
Its gotten really boring... lv up takes too long and with all the connection problems and now dupin going on... its really not as enjoyable as it was PLUS were paying.... Thats why if anyone sees me in socom get ready to die cause im comin afta YOU!

Gave up too? Heh, just couldnt play without me, lol.

Astral
Dec 4, 2002, 03:04 PM
Putting aside interacting with others, making friends etc. for a moment..

MMORPGs tend to focus less on story, and more on side-quests, leveling and scouring the world for uniques. When it comes down to it, it seems that the main goal of players in MMORPGs is to discover rare items.

Nothing wrong with that, of course, but when you reach a certain stage, there's nothing else to do.. And the routines involved in strengthening a character to the point where they can go item-hunting solo, and actually going on the item runs themselves can become monotonous, and extremely tedious. (Anyone who's played D2 online for a while knows about MF meph/Baal/pindle runs...)

The process for alot of players consists of starting a new character online, finding the quickest, easiest method to level them, until they can brave the tougher/est areas and hopefully get lucky. In most single-player RPGs, there simply aren't that many shortcuts, at least, none that you can take advantage of early on. No teaming with stronger characters, no trading, duping, hacking. Unless you're a gameshark (or any other equivalent) cheese, all the work must be done yourself, and the effort has to be over a period of time you can't fast forward with a little help from _____.

I find that alot of people who get caught up in this routine tend to get bored quicker than others, and there's no surprise why.. And then there are people like myself who sometimes just stop, because everyone else seems to have a ton of rares, whereas my equally strong and talented character simply hasn't had such luck. (Quitting because I don't find so many rares? It may seem silly, but after a while, once you've done just about everything, playing with friends is no longer much fun, and all there really is to do is go hunting, and when you have no luck with that, then it's time to pick up a new game, or something--and I'm not referring to PSO here, though in future it might apply..)

Of course some will see differently--I'm just speaking from personal experience~.

LostHero
Dec 4, 2002, 05:58 PM
The problem with PSO has always been just how limited it was. That being the case, I stutter before I name it a MMORPG. To me at least, it is the worlds finest chatroom, and there is nothing wrong with that. Its fun and all, but you play the game with so little people in a world that never changes. I mean at least in games such as UO, Everquest, DAoC, Horizons, and Shard the world is constantly changing, i.e.: wars, new monsters, new items, REAL quests and such can be added on the fly. Sadly, this open endedness is something PSO just doesn't have.