PDA

View Full Version : VGA box

Jaspaller
Jan 28, 2007, 08:45 AM
Can anyone suggest a good VGA box? I've seen how sharp and clear gaming is using one of these babies. I've taken a look at play-asia and found two good ones that seem to be very good quality... the problem is that they don't do 480i.

I want to get one that can do 480i (mainly for wii's Virtual Console games) all the way up to 1080p since I eventually plan on getting a PS3.

Any suggestions? I don't wanna go too high for the price but if it's a high quality one I'll be willing to buy it.

Out_Kast
Jan 28, 2007, 10:14 AM
The one I bought recently was some Mayflash one (Magic VGA box, I think it's called. Google it, maybe). BIG problem; I can't play my GC on 60Hz with it, whereas my PS2 works fine (it's the other way round on the downstaits TV, but that's not the point http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )
I don't know how it'l be with the Wii, though. Check the specifications/details/whatever.

Sinue_v2
Jan 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
I use, and would suggest, the ViewSonic N6.

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/accessories/tvvideoprocessors/nextvisionn6/index.htm#specs

It's a good mid-range VGA box which will provide both an excellent picture while providing a host of functionality. I also have the KD-CTCA3, which is a far better VGA Adapter - however it does not upscale or upconvert 480i signals, which makes it useless for non-HD games and consoles. It also doesn't have any extra amenities. It is, however, also $100 more on average.

The ViewSonic N6 is generally about $200. That might be more than what you're willing to pay - but keep in mind that it's a mid-range box, and if you want quality - you're going to have to pay for quality. Those $50 boxes are a sham.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-01-28 09:38 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Jan 29, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'll definitely take a look into that Sinue_v2. I've decided I'm not gonna bother with the 480i anymore though. I'm gonna stick with 480p and up.

Out_kast, that's probably one of the two I saw on play-asia. Play-asia had 2 different mayflash vga boxes. The first one is probably the same one you have listed here.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-77-2-49-en-15-vga%2Bbox-70-4s4.html

The second one which I've looked at might be my choice
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-77-1-49-en-15-vga%2Bbox-70-2cs.html

Unfortunately the first one seems to only use composite input and not component input which is a real let down. The second one isn't getting the reviews I wanted to hear so I think it'll end up being one of the ones that Sinue_v2 suggested unless someone else has some input on this.

Sinue_v2
Jan 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
I'd get the ViewSonic over the KD-CTCA3. I know you're going for 480p, but many last generation games simply don't support progressive scan. Most moniters, unfortunately, cannot display a 480i signal (though 1080i is).

I know you want to use this primarily for the Wii, but it will work for any device which has Component/Composite out (DVD, Camcorders, VCR, Videogames, ect.) It also has the Coaxial hookup for Television broadcast, or older game systems. It also allows VGA passthrough, which is nice if you have a Xbox 360 w/ VGA cables. You can use the Picture Over Picture feature to play Wii virtual console games while chatting or waiting for games on Live. (Or for the play of virtual console games over your PC desktop)

Another nicety - it can upscale 480 resolution images to higher resolutions, though the benefit is somewhat minimal. The game's picture is still practically 480, but it coverts it to use the full 1280 x 1024 resolution. The result is slightly crisper textures, better color representation, and reduced blurryness - but it's not a miracle worker and won't elminate jaggies or shimmering.

You might also want to look into the ViewSonic N5. It generally sells for $50 - $75 cheaper, but I'm not sure what features it might lack. Though I've hear that the picture is compairable to the N6. If you shop around enough, I'm sure you could get one for $100 - since my N6 only cost me $150 after quite a bit of shopping around for a good price and free shipping.