PDA

View Full Version : Sidescrolling fighting games...

BlueDagger
Feb 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
I recenetly decideed that I want to play a good old sidescrolling fighting game!... Y'know, like Street Fighter... That kinda' thing. I've played Marvel vs. Capcom(I think it was 2), so I know I like them(don't knwo why I even got rid of it). So I might just get that one again.

Wise forum, suggest to me a game. One with lots of characters... yeah... lots of characters, I like that...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2007-02-01 13:16 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Feb 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is one of the finest 2-D fighters to come out this generation. One word of warning tho - Bridget will make you gay.

You might also want to look for Capcom vs. SNK 2 which hosts a great deal of characters from both the King of Fighters and Street Fighter franchise.

If you're not really worried about techinical game mechanics or a formulat like those of classic 2D fighters - you might want to look at Super Smash Bros for the NGC. It's 3D, but plays on a 2D plane.

Eihwaz
Feb 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
On 2007-02-01 13:17, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload is one of the finest 2-D fighters to come out this generation. One word of warning tho - Bridget will make you gay.

If you're not really worried about techinical game mechanics or a formulat like those of classic 2D fighters - you might want to look at Super Smash Bros for the NGC. It's 3D, but plays on a 2D plane.

Quoted for truth. GGX2 is absolutely awesome, and Super Smash Bros Melee is a party in game form. You can't go wrong with either one. ;o

VanHalen
Feb 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
king of fighters was awesome until they went 3d
guilty gear awesome
marvel vs. capcom i dont even need to say how fun that game is
oh and samurai shodown

Dhylec
Feb 1, 2007, 07:16 PM
Capcom's various fighter series are always my fave.

BahnKnakyu
Feb 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
King of Fighters. The latest one - King of Fighters XI (11) came out a couple years ago. They're making a new one, King of Fighters XII this year. And yes, it's still 2-D, despite what VanHalen says.

The console version is MODchip/import/LOLBT only tho. I STRONGLY suggest you play it in the arcades. You pwning the computer does not make you a god at a fighting game. You pwning real skilled people does.

I also personally prefer KoF over Guilty Gear only because the characters in KoF aren't as over the top as the Guilty Gear ones. And the KoF fanbase isn't AS full of "ZMG DIZZY and BRIDGET n_n" fanboys/girls (i.e. the ones who know the game's story and the character's backgrounds but can't play the game worth shit) over here in the states. It's a very technical game though - lots of the 1337 stuff in that game require you to know how to use an arcade stick. You know - that thing home consoles tend to not come with. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 1, 2007, 11:37 PM
On 2007-02-01 16:55, BahnKnakyu wrote:
King of Fighters. The latest one - King of Fighters XI (11) came out a couple years ago. They're making a new one, King of Fighters XII this year. And yes, it's still 2-D, despite what VanHalen says.

He probably means those Maximum Impact 3D versions that came out and are not that great.

Everyone else already said most of the games I would have.

But also they're not side scrollers like a Streets of Rage or Final Fight, these things are known as 2D fighters, to get technical on you. Otherwise I would have expected to come in here and recommend things like the SNES Captain Commando sidescroller (beat em up) fighter.

VanHalen
Feb 1, 2007, 11:42 PM
^yeah i did mean the maximum impact one

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 1, 2007, 11:58 PM
On 2007-02-01 20:42, VanHalen wrote:

The second one is incorrectly called a King of Fighters game without the Maximum Impact tag on it if I remember that correctly, so look at the box if you're planning on getting a home version.

Just looking it up now, its called King of Fighters 2006, which is improved over the first one, but still not a 2D fighter which is what you're looking for.

VanHalen
Feb 2, 2007, 12:13 AM
On 2007-02-01 20:58, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

On 2007-02-01 20:42, VanHalen wrote:

The second one is incorrectly called a King of Fighters game without the Maximum Impact tag on it if I remember that correctly, so look at the box if you're planning on getting a home version.

Just looking it up now, its called King of Fighters 2006, which is improved over the first one, but still not a 2D fighter which is what you're looking for.

yeah i played that at my friends house kof2006. it was fun but not like 2d fighting game fun with the crazy annoucer guy(similar to that DDR announcer) and flashiness and random japanese flying everywhere

BlueDagger
Feb 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
Okay, I've been looking into Marvel vs. capcom and Guilty Gear X2(both ps2)... But they're so expensive! I saw a Marvel vs. capcom for $499.99 on Amazon! O.o Even guilty gear was pretty expensive. Anyone know where I can get atleast Guilty Gear X2 fairly cheap? I'm willing to spend into mid or high $30.

Edit: A change in plan. I found Guilty Gear Isuka(something liek that) for 17$ and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO for like 12 or something. I really don't want to even touch a copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom if it's so darn expensive.

*drops disc*

*327489278856365$ has been wasted*

So how does that sound? Guilty Gear Isuka and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO all under $40. Any dark secrets about these games that I should know before making my purchase?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2007-02-02 10:18 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlueDagger on 2007-02-02 10:18 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Feb 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
Huh, CvS2 EO? That's the GC version I believe.

Forget the GC. Get the PS2 version. Why? cos the default GC controller sucks for fighting games. It's also more readily available, and SHOULD be cheaper. It's also a pretty good arcade port, and if you practice at home you can take on people at the arcade to test your skills.

But I still recommend King of Fighters. NOT MAXIMUM IMPACT and the incorrectly labeled King of Fighters 2006. Get the ones that are labeled in roman numerals - XI.

BlueDagger
Feb 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
people seem to be giving CvS good reveiws on amazon... But I'm a bit confused about Guilty Gear... Pushing a button just to turn around? That sounds sort of harsh... has anyone played this game? Would it be worth the extra money to just get X2 instead?

Destruct05
Feb 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
get X2 instead...Isuka was kind of a disappointment imo though the side-scrolling beat-em-up style minigame was a nice idea and the fact that you can change the colors of the main characters (even the colors of the weapons and little details of each character can be changed! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) was pretty sweet. if you are looking for a 2D fighting game thats somewhat different than most games in the genre, get Guilty Gear Isuka, but if you are looking for a good, old-school style fighting game, get Guilty Gear X2 instead! youll thank me later...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
GGX2 I recently picked up off Amazon myself:

Link to the page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HDT0O/sr=8-3/qid=1155468852/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-2914917-2902266?ie=UTF8)

Its for Xbox, includes online play, only $18.

UnderscoreX
Feb 2, 2007, 08:04 PM
Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting.
Crazy Hurricane kicks through the air.

seismica
Feb 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
super smash bros melee is awesome, get that

Scejntjynahl
Feb 3, 2007, 02:02 PM
If you are a purist and want a very technical game where strategy is a must... "Weapon Lord".

Most of you may not have heard of it. But this game demands great skill. No button mashing to be found here. And the enemy AI emulates actual time it takes to do moves. Meaning, no cheap moves by the cpu, only moves that even "you" can do.

Though only 7 characters(all in Conan style, weapon clashing ala Samurai Showdown) are available to choose from, 3 of which are female, each character boasts a minimum of 11 special moves.... yes... 11. How so? By being innovative in how moves are done... some are SF style, others even MK style, but a third is new altogether. You hold a button down and enter movement in the directional pad, let button go and it executes a special move.

All special moves are comboable... if your fast enough.

This game also allows continues with a password feature to start at the stage your in... for it plays ala story mode (all 7 characters do). But if you are "killed" (litterally) you will have to start over from stage one.

Which brings me to FATALITIES. Sure we've all had our fill and fun with them during the reign of Mortal Kombat... decapitations, skinning, and what not. Some of it too outrageous to even be feasible. Not so with Weapon Lord, not at all. The fatalities follow the style of weapon your character wields, and it has do be done in MIDCOMBO so no waiting for the screen to tell you when to start (only allowed in last round of course, no cheap wins like Guilty Gear).

Divada, my favorite, a Sorceros wielding a double bladed staff shall demonstrate the beauty of Fatalities. Jump in with short stab, knee in the groin (screen turns black at this moment because your opponent has no more hp), you then do a mid section twirl and disenbowel your opponent, he/she start to fall back as intestines fly behind you, you swing your staff up in a perfect circle and decapitate the lifeless torso, the body keeps fallin to ground, Divada begins to cast her sphere of doom as she retracts her weapon and lets a blast go as the enemies torso hits the ground while the head is still flying up... the sphere erupts the torso's chest wide open exposing nothing but the ribcage, meanwhile Divada violently swing a special over head twirl of green flame (think helicopter) as the severed head lands on it and then is exploded sending brain matter across the screen.

Got that. See the beauty of LINKABLE fatalities!? All of those are fatalities on their own, but if your fast and skillfull you can link them all.

Not for the faint of heart.

Available on SNES and Genesis only. But for crisper graphics Isuggest SNES.

And this was created by NAMCO some of them then created Soul Calibur series.

Enough said.