PDA

View Full Version : How many people think RPGs were better in the old days?

aj142
Dec 1, 2002, 02:29 AM
I?ve actually seen it posted that RPGs aren?t what they used to be...does anyone agree with that?

Atwight014
Dec 1, 2002, 02:36 AM
all I know is that I'm still waiting for something that's better than chrono trigger

sMaRtAzZ
Dec 1, 2002, 02:38 AM
yea i did quite like the old games....i loved the old final fantasy games....those were the good old days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

TedEdFred
Dec 1, 2002, 05:54 AM
I like Dragon Warrior the most.

Ness
Dec 1, 2002, 09:33 AM
I'd say it's about 50/50. Some of the old games are better, but some of the news games can tope the old ones. PSO is the best RPG in my opinion.

SorceressofTime
Dec 1, 2002, 10:03 AM
like ness said, it IS about 50/50. i thought that final fantasy x had an original storyline, thus making it one of my fav rpg's. though these days, games are getting recycled eg. stories.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SorceressofTime on 2002-12-01 07:07 ]</font>

Dabra
Dec 1, 2002, 10:11 AM
On 2002-12-01 06:33, Ness wrote:
I'd say it's about 50/50. Some of the old games are better, but some of the news games can tope the old ones. PSO is the best RPG in my opinion.

PSO is an RPG??

*swoons*

Ian D
Dec 1, 2002, 11:27 AM
I really liked EarthBound for some reason.

Kent
Dec 1, 2002, 03:17 PM
They sure don't make RPGs like they used to...

Looking back, the first RPG I ever was compelled enough to beat was Final Fantasy II on SNES (a.k.a. Final Fantasy IV), and from then on, Squaresoft has been one of my favorite developers. I had played Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES) but I didn't like it as much as IV. When I first got my PlayStation, the first game I ever got for it was Final Fantasy VII, which, in my opinion, still holds the record for best RPG ever (Chrono Trigger is up there too).

From then on, RPGs (and mostly games in general) when downhill as far as quality and originality, not to mention difficulty. Indeed, Square has been going soft on us (excuse the pun), along with a slew of other RPG developers. They're just too easy nowadays! I beat Final Fantasy VIII and IX in under 40 hours, X in about 50, and Kingdom Hearts in about 45 (after getting all the extra stuff, too!).

I wish they'd come along with a hard RPG, preferrably a long one at that. But we'll just have to wait and see...

Vitamin_D
Dec 1, 2002, 03:32 PM
On 2002-11-30 23:36, Atwight014 wrote:
all I know is that I'm still waiting for something that's better than chrono trigger

Amen to that.

Dangerous55
Dec 1, 2002, 06:11 PM
I dont consider PSO an RPG. There is no best, or better. Some people might like Army Men: French Resistance better then FF2. Just there opinion.

BWS-1
Dec 2, 2002, 03:53 AM
Arena, 1994: Woohoo! that game rocks! First person RPG a-la D&D, gotta love 'em!

Daggerfall, 1996: HOLY SHIT THIS GAME'S BIG! Twice as better then arena ... at least.

Morrowind, 2002: *drool *faints, I hate reading, but there is so much to learn from this game, I just want to read all the books and it'll take me a life time to do just that!

Tribunal, 2002: Too much ... must ... rest .... X_X

Well, I personnaly think things are just getting better for RPGs, you just have to knwo where to look for good RPGs http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif (Of course, everyone has different tastes so I understand some would prefer the good ol FF4 Rpgs, I like em too, but they are just not my fav)

aj142
Dec 2, 2002, 12:16 PM
On 2002-12-01 12:32, Vitamin_D wrote:

On 2002-11-30 23:36, Atwight014 wrote:

Amen to that.

What about Xenogears? A lot of people feel that it's better.

BlackRose
Dec 2, 2002, 12:36 PM
PSO is an rpg, but it's a different type. You can easily roleplay whoever the hell you want, not just the character you're given.

Rylios
Dec 2, 2002, 03:01 PM
I think Old Rpgs were Good as well as new... Its just how we look at it.. Seems Old RPGs were better cause things were a lot harder to do and now since its all 3D it sems easier.. Like the old FF compared to FFX sure one looks better than old one but the old one seems harder.. just my opinion.. I like both and compare but always play both before making a decision

aj142
Dec 3, 2002, 01:25 PM
I haven't played any MMOs yet, but I'm extremely curious. As for console, like I said, I know Xenogears remains one of the most favored and I am definitely among those who are anxiously awaiting Xenosaga. A couple of guys at another forum said they played the Japanese import version (I have no idea how) and that the game is very different from Xenogears, but just as good if not better. BTW, how do you go about participating in an MMO?

aj142
Dec 4, 2002, 01:36 PM
So is that it for this thread?

Astral
Dec 4, 2002, 04:16 PM
Pfft. Nostalgia and age. They have got to factor into how some people rate RPGs of yesterday and today. Sure you may have enjoyed the hell out of FFIII, IV, CT or what-have-you when you were younger. As time goes by, memories of all those good moments spent on those games will remain with you, and it's so easy to embellish on a pleasant memory..

As you get older your interest in games may remain, but are you really going to get as excited or emotional over a game at 18, 19, 20 years old as you did at 12, 13 and 14? I'd be inclined to think that one would become more analytical with age, and will therefore be more critical of what they currently play, before they think of what they used to play..

All that aside, I will admit that I find older RPGs to be more challenging, and the same goes for games in general.

CajunSamurai
Dec 8, 2002, 02:30 AM
I had played Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES) but I didn't like it as much as IV.Hot damn, someone that agrees with my opinion that FF4 is better than 6? I don't believe it. Almost every time I say that I greatly prefer FF4 over 6, people give me a funny look and/or talk about how much FF4 sucked.
FF4 is, in my opinion, the greatest FF ever made. What it lacked in story it easily made up for in gameplay, something that I find most RPGs to be painfully lacking.
I mean, damn. How cool was it for Rydia to return later in the game, all decked out with those sweet summons and black magic (not to mention she'd aged about 10 years). HOW COOL?!? Man, I think I could go on and on with boring anecdotes and otaku reasons why FF4 is TEH 0wNage.

Anyway, back to the REAL topic... yes and no.
Yes because I still greatly prefer FF1, 4 and 6 over 7, 8, 9 and 10.
I still own Chrono Trigger and although nostalgia plays a huge role in why it's my favorite game of all time, I've concluded that nostalgia is a VERY small part of it all. I've actually introduced this game to people within the past year, who have listed it among their favorite games of all time upon completion. Very, very few games come near the overall quality of CT, IMO.
And am I the one that thinks the post FF6 FF's are over rated? I loved 'em ALL, don't get me wrong. But I sure wouldn't list FF7 on my top 10 favorite games of all time, no way.

At the same time though, there are many incredible RPGs that have managed to impress me, such as Star Ocean 2, Xenogears and Chrono Cross.
One such neo-RPG known as Skies of Arcadia is truly one of my favorite games of all time.

Hmm... so yes, I believe it's completely possible to create an RPG that'll win me over such as Skies did, in these modern "next generation" times. It just doesn't happen all that often.

Let's not forget about PC RPG's either; Neverwinter Nights is awesome. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LostHero
Dec 9, 2002, 06:28 PM
Depends. FF7 is still probably my favorite rpg of all time. Some old rpg's sucked just as some current ones do. People get jaded and bias and that blinds them from either or.