PDA

View Full Version : SUVs really worth it in the long run?

Sephlock
Feb 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
As cool as they are, it really seems like SUVs aren't worth it at all.

In a typical run I'll get to use it 2-4 times, and since I use the grom buster, theres always the chance that I'll miss due to lagaporting enemies, teammates spamming knockback, or simple bad aim.

When I'm soloing, its even worse.

Oh sure, I get to use the SUV more often, but oh my sweet baby jesus do I get hammered. I can't ALWAYS find a nice vantage point to snipe from, and when I'm exposed, I get spanked. And not like softcore spanking, but vicious, savage, never-be-able-to-walk-again spanking. Traumatized-for-life spanking.
Japanese-adult-video spanking.

Not that I would know <_<.

Annnyways...

It seems to me that since trying to match a hunter type's damage is a futile endeavor (I'm a CAST Fortegunner), I may as well not even bother. An Extra slot unit that regenerates my HP seems like it'd do a lot more to increase my survivability.

Thoughts? Recommendations on Extra slot units?

shewby
Feb 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
use sturm buster. you dont have to aim and it causes burn. it's better for rooms with tons of enemies. the total damage once burn is done is huge. it is terrible on bosses though. i dont think regen should be necessary for a ranger type class. you ought to be safer than the hunters and if you find yourself getting hit alot just fight near a force.

Bluepheonix
Feb 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
The healing extra slot item on regenerates 1% of your overall HP every 4 seconds i think, im lvl 54, and mine only does +12, wouldn't call it much of a life saver or a must have, i just have it cause well, it's there, and well when im afk my health goes up.

As for SUV's i wouldn't know my cast is still lvl 16, although the whole aiming thing i've seen loads of casts allways miss it would be ok if you coul aim them, but overall i think they are worth it even if they last fo rlike 5 seconds. Some of them deal good dmg i have seen.

AC9breaker
Feb 4, 2007, 01:26 PM
Personally, as a protranser. I think SUV's are lame. My biggest gripe with them, removing buffs. My SUV always happens to come up when I have just been buffed or whatever. Really pisses me off and I hate losing those buffs. So, I'm pooling my efforts in getting me a Black Heart. =)

Sephlock
Feb 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
The black heart is not really worth it, either in the meseta it takes to buy one (people are charging outrageous prices) or the time it takes to find one (which actually justifies said prices to some extent).

_Deliverance_
Feb 4, 2007, 01:46 PM
Dude, SUVs are awesome. Don't worry about comparing your damage to FFs. I'm not familiar with the actual names, but the machine gun and the grenade launcher SUVs really shake up the room. Machinegun SUV flinches everyone, and the grenades burn. You can't beat that.

SolomonGrundy
Feb 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
Just like with weapons looks>>function

Also, try playing a ForteFighter Cast, you'll appreciate the ranged damage when you Sh*tcan a Tengoh

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cerberus1981
Feb 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
Don't diss the Grom, it has it's uses and I'm still using it long after people have upgraded to other SUVs. The trick is to know when to carry/use it, it's brutal for bosses and the worms on Nuadiz.

If you've got an area full of worms make sure your party bunches up, as soon as you enter they will go underground and race towards you which is when you fire, they will pop up right in front of you taking the full hit and because they are anchored to the ground they won't fly backwards and you will either kill them outright or take 90%+ of their health.

nooblet
Feb 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
what I do is build up the suv bar then switch out to the regen unit. When its time to use the suv, switch it.

Carbinne
Feb 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
I use Hegel, Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel!!! No need for those fancy models, rotating vulcans is all you need! Though, if I'm on parum, I detach the SUV so I can put on some 50% lightning Stellaline. No Extra slot but taking 60/70 damage a hit beats 150 anytime.

Sekani
Feb 4, 2007, 05:49 PM
Grom Buster is troublesome to aim, but when it hits good the damage is more than enough to justify its use. Sturm Buster is the SUV for dummies, just fire and watch things blow up; however, it usually does less damage than a well-placed Grom Buster.

Sitka
Feb 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm a Sturm Buster user and I REALLY like it. It's very helpful when you are underleveled and fighting large enemies as in when you are going for good drops. You can shoot away and unload the SUV for good damage + burn - it burns almost everything. In some battles, you can continue fighting the beast(s) and unload a second time to finish them off.

It's also helpful when entering a room with hoards of small enemies. I save my SUV for strategic unloading as when walking into a room swarming with frog hoppers and badiras - SUV goes off and they ALL go down. It helps when fighting many bosses as well.

I tried the rock-em, sock-em robots SUV - has anyone seen anything with this SUV that justifies its cost? Cept for getting laughs, the thing appears worthless.

Now, an SUV that infects an entire room would be AWESOME. GIB!

NisukeReach
Feb 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
sturm is terrible for bosses. it's OK for mini-bosses. GROM is what you want for all-around

zanotam
Feb 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
well my lvl 60 cast buddy always gives this recomendation buy TWO suv's. 1. Sturm Buster for normal enemies and for quick room clearing and 2. Grom Buster for bosses and hallways.

NisukeReach
Feb 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
think of it this way, none of the extra-accessories are worth the amount of meseta that they cost, especially the black heart unit. SUV's are exclusive to your CAST class, they're like special moves in King of Fighters, or Street fighter. It doens't hurt to use them once in a while (literally, it doens't hurt. i've used it just before a string of megid spells where thrown at me. i believe i was spared when my SUV activated and granted me immunity).

Valhaz
Feb 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Honestly, I've never rolled a CAST because I just love using my beast. Yes, ATA sucks and being a FF also keeps my stamina sadly low. Either way, from what I've seen SUVs are a great help in boss fights and that's the only place I've ever seen them used. Beast form + SUV are awesome health breakers on any boss fight.

Neith
Feb 4, 2007, 10:14 PM
I love SUV's, im one of the few who uses Rafal Buster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I do like them, but I hate them removing my buffs. Considering I'm hunting Black Heart, I'll probably swap between an SUV and that depending on area.

A2K
Feb 5, 2007, 02:07 AM
I noticed the other day that even though a SUV weapon summon wipes buffs, unlike Nanoblast, I could immediately start re-buffing the SUV user, even before the weapon had even fired. I'm curious as to whether that last minute Shifta makes a noticeable difference...

hyperacute
Feb 5, 2007, 04:20 AM
Sturm buster is guaranteed burn status effect on most enemies and is therefore invaluable on spawns of multiple high HP critters. Might do less damage initially than some of the other SUVs but add in all the damage from burn and it's pretty damn useful.

Also nice in solo runs when you're feeling a bit overwhelmed as it not only burns things but pushes them back too. Not to mention the time taken to use it can buy you a few seconds breathing space.

Mistle22
Feb 5, 2007, 06:06 AM
I love my grom buster SUV. Grom buster is fairly common by the looks of it. If only it lasted a tad longer, im always about 1 hit off from killing the enemies >_<

Turambar
Feb 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Really don't understand the amount of love the grom gets when the rafle is better imo. While a pair of gaint bore lasers is better against bosses, against normal things, you'd rather use the rafle because of its much longer range, making it much easier to get all 10 hits in on a mob. Plus, zalure beats a very short duration shock any day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Turambar on 2007-02-05 06:38 ]</font>

A2K
Feb 5, 2007, 10:02 AM
I believe Rafal and Grom Buster's attack range and area are equal. It's not quite as obvious with Rafal since you don't actually see the bullets versus the spread laser beams.

I've taken a liking to Blitz Buster myself lately. The paralysis (true paralysis, not just shock) effect seems to vary, but it usually lasts long enough for hunters to swoop in and take full advantage.

panzer_unit
Feb 5, 2007, 10:10 AM
SUV's more useful than most extra units. I think if the choice was between awesome armor with no extra slot and worse stuff with an extra slot to use SUV... hmm, toss-up.

I stopped using Hegel and Rafal generally when debuffs came out, and as a Protranser I don't really care for Sturm since burninating stuff is my day job. They're good units when soloing or if your job doesn't throw SE's around a lot.

Most of the time I've got Blitz equipped, the sweep + status effect can be useful support for the team, especially against masses of big monsters like Jarbas and Bils. For straight-up damage, regularly I use Grom... but I'll switch to Meteor for busting up stuff that takes half damage from range.

UnknownFox
Feb 5, 2007, 12:55 PM
i used to have the sturm buster and i kinda liked it. i just didnt like the fact i couldnt use it whenever i wanted to so i tossed it and got a me/hp restore unit and it may not do that mush at a time but it really makes a difference imo specialy since i feed my PM healths so i save a lot of thouse too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

csmicbcklsh
Feb 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with zanotam...carry both the Grom and the Sturm Buster around and switch them out depending on the situation. I've been doing that since the Sturm Buster came out, and it hasn't failed me once. You definitely have to know when to use them though.

I can also understand the resentment of the SUV because it get's rid of the buff's you may have on. Sure, it sucks when I'm soloing and I forget I just used an Agtaride, but it removes ANY status effect. It definitely comes in handy when I'm about to die from burn and it removes that and gives me a chance to heal. And, as NisukeReach said, it has the effect of making you immune the instant it's activated. I can't tell you how many times that has saved my ass in Lab Recovery S. So while it may seem kind of costly, I would definitely suggest that you pick up an SUV, if not more than one.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
none of the other extra slot items are any better. When you're doing an S rank mission, like the HIVE, taking 600 damage a hit, 18 hp every few seconds doesn't really help. SUVs are by far the best extra slot items for usefulness

THE JACKEL

Kazuma-kun
Feb 6, 2007, 06:58 AM
im not sure about SUV's yet im only on lvl 7 so i have a long waaaaay to gooo htis mightnt be the place but what is the best mission to do to lvl up very quickly

thefixer
Feb 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
i use sturm on groups and rafal on big enemies that have been cornered. suvs are the best extra slot items, hands down.

pionear
Feb 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I carry two as well. The Strum Buster is like the Smart Bomb type weapon, with everything blowing up around you.

And the Grom Buster is a powerful laser that you have to carefully aim, but does do good damage.

And the one with the Giant Fists is called Meteror Buster; It's goofy looking, and I don't use it.

Q_Anon
Feb 6, 2007, 08:17 PM
SUVs are definately useful if you aim right and your team knows not to start knocking stuff around when they hear the sound. I mean Sturm burns better than anything and does decent damage as well, Grom and Hegel do tons of damage to bosses and large enemies and Blitz is very good on dangerous enemies like Jarbas. Some SUVs are about damage and some are about SEs, its definately a good idea to carry around several SUVs and switch for different situations.