PDA

View Full Version : Daggers...

Munki
Dec 1, 2002, 07:28 PM
Got a question about the daggers attack animations...

I have a HUcaseal, and I really like the daggers. Assuming my timing is fine, is there ANY way that I can get a combo of Weak, Weak, Hard to work? I always get hit while charging for the Hard hit. I can do a weak weak weak combo no problem. But I can't ever seem to mix the hard hit in... at any point. Is this the big weakness of the ol daggers?

BTW, this is assuming a one-on-one situation. I really like daggers, and I want to make them my main one on one weapon with my HUcaseal... especially since her attack animation looks so cool.

sMaRtAzZ
Dec 1, 2002, 07:33 PM
well im also a hucaseal, and i always use a hard-hard-hard combo on every difficulty....i never tried a weak-weak-hard...well i think u can't do the weak-weak-hard because the hard attack sort of stuns the monster, so then they hit u before u can...y dont u try weak-hard-weak because then you'll be able to stun him and have a quick finish i hope i sort of helped http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Vejita
Dec 2, 2002, 12:40 AM
ya, if you do 2 weaks in the beggining it wont get much knockback.do a weak-hard-weak, and if you can, try a weak-hard-hard.

Mute
Dec 2, 2002, 09:41 AM
If all else fails, find yourself some Battle units. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif A couple General Battles equipped makes a significant difference.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 2, 2002, 11:45 AM
There is no rule that says you must use all the hits in your combo list. If you find that an enemy tends to hit you just as you start up your 3rd hit, or if your 3rd hit leaves you open for too long, then just do a weak-weak combo from a fair distance, dance around to avoid getting smacked and do a hard-hard combo when the monster is recovering from its swing. Only use a 3 hit combo when you know that it will kill, or if the enemy is predictable (ie. Dragon, De Rol Le, Dark Belra, etc).

Against stuff like Delsabers, do a weak from a distance so that he blocks, dodge to the side as he swipes, then let him have it with a Hard-Hard-Hard combo.

Or if you happen to have techniques (sorry, I know you're a Hucaseal), a deband/jellen works wonders and allows my Hunny to wade into a horde of dimenians on Vhard with nothing but her S-beats and a thong bikini http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Jae
Dec 2, 2002, 11:59 AM
First off... I take back everything bad I ever said about daggers. I absolutely LOVE them in Ult!

Next, sometimes you need strategy when using daggers. Try to attack from the side or from behind if you can. Or sometimes you can just fake enemies out by running straight backwards toward a door. They'll turn their back before you even reach the door and leave themselves wide open for attack! Weak-Hard-Hard combos are pretty easy to pull off this way. Or if you're feeling really ballsy with your ATA, just go for the Hard-Hard-Hard.

Battle units really make a difference. I just started using a General Battle last night and I love it! They shave off that extra .1 sec just so you can get your hits off w/o getting nailed. I also got to try on a God/Battle last night. Ohhh mannnn that thing kicks!

On a side note, look me up tonight after 9pm. I have that RA stuff you were asking for. Also, I'm trying to find another Cross Scar that you can play around with. I regret letting all of my old ones go for almost nothing. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Dreaming of Twin Chakrams... mmmm...

Jae
Dec 2, 2002, 12:04 PM
On 2002-12-02 08:45, Elusive_Llama wrote:
a deband/jellen works wonders and allows my Hunny to wade into a horde of dimenians on Vhard with nothing but her S-beats and a thong bikini http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Holy crap that last comment has me in tears! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I've also seen some casts using freeze and confuse traps pretty effectively against swarmer-type enemies. Just another option to think about.

*edit* Sorry for the double post. Didn't see Llama's post until after I submitted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jae on 2002-12-02 09:06 ]</font>

DirewolfX
Dec 2, 2002, 12:53 PM
You should try playing with different types of Combos for different enemies. I know when I'm using my Partisan, for example, that Weak/Weak/Hard works great against Bartles and Barbles, but for Vulmers and Govulmers, I need to use Weak/Hard/Hard (with a delay before the second hard). Oh... and sometimes delaying a hit in your combo a bit will let you hit the enemy after it comes out of its stun animation (and thus stun them again). If you hit them during their stun animation, they won't be stunned by your hit, and will be able to hit you before you get your next attack in.

As for daggers... are they that useful in Ultimate? I usually get swarmed when trying to use single-target weapons, so I stick with my Red Partisan and pull out my Yamato when going one-on-one... although I would like to try and master every weapon... any advice on how to kill the enemies quickly without getting overwhelmed by a group?

Jae
Dec 2, 2002, 01:40 PM
On 2002-12-02 09:53, DirewolfX wrote:
As for daggers... are they that useful in Ultimate? Any advice on how to kill the enemies quickly without getting overwhelmed by a group?

Good call on the combo variations and delays.

I found daggers to be extremely useful in Ultimate mostly because of my sub-par ATA (HUnewearl). My Dragon Slayer (or anything else) would totally miss and I would get mauled. But for some reason, the weak-weak-strong combo with a Cross Scar rarely missed and held a group back pretty well. Since swarmers in Ultimate tend to get stuck behind each other a lot, just get a combo or two in then run away so you can 'corral' them together again.

Another favorite tactic of mine is Rabarta and Razonde (for machine-types). Frozen groups of enemies are so much easier to kill. If you only freeze one, just use that enemy as a 'shield' and take swipes at the group with a sword or partisan.

Experiment with EVERYTHING. My 50% hit 'common' Mind Gatling owns Ultimate Caves. Well actually it owns everything since the hit rate is so high lol. My new Red Slicer has also been very kind to me. Heck, sometimes I even pull out the Red Saber for one-on-one because it's fast and still stronger than my fully grinded Slayer.

Shifta, Deband, Jellen and Zalure also make a world of difference. When all else fails, stay in one level and just build exp over and over.

Munki
Dec 2, 2002, 02:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I definately am finding that the caves monsters are more susceptable to dagger attacks (on normal at least) as their attacks are a bit slower. I definately like the daggers alot now, and I think that they take a bit of skill/strategy to use. That definately adds alot to my enjoyment of my character! It is really rewarding to see that damage rack up from the daggers when you do things right!

Jae - I will go on after 9, see ya then!

Elusive_Llama
Dec 2, 2002, 02:49 PM
Jae, what daggers are you using in Ultimate right now? Got the stats for them handy? I'm using S-Beats +15 (max grind) and that special one-hit kill really rocks. Just need to raise me a Dex mag or something so I can hit with that special more often http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Jae
Dec 2, 2002, 03:27 PM
For Ult I was switching between two sets of Bloody Arts with moderate percentages, but I gave those to Munki. Now I'm using a regular old Cross Scar with no percentages, but the results are similar, if not slightly better. I don't know the stats offhand, but I'm pretty sure your S-Beats are a LOT better than what I'm using. My friend tears through packs with his S-Beats while I'm still there chipping away at the edges of the bunch. Bloody Art supposedly has a Devil attribute (halves enemy HP), but I've never used it.

Since the weekend, I've been practically LIVING in Ult Forest and killing every Tollaw I see. I keep hoping that they'll drop the Twin Chakrams since it's supposedly an Oran item.