PDA

View Full Version : Debate: are MAR'S the weakest link?!

Sedyne
Dec 1, 2002, 11:12 PM
In my expierances as playing as a HUmar FOmar and played as a FOmarl in v2 I believe that MAR characters are probably the hardest ones to maintain. This is given because they arn't especially good at ANYTHING. Here's some reasons to support my accusation.

1) HUmar Lv 127: Sedyne X930
This was my first GC Character. I leveld him up to 127. I was playing in an Ultimate game with a FOnewman and a HUcast. My average hit with lvl 24 shifta and a Gigobooma's claw was roughly 500. Note my base atp was about 915 with my power mag**
I was quite ashamed of him because a level 98 FOnewman was doing 600+ Damagae to every enemy in HeatSword with his Ra and Gifoie. I believe he said they were 23/25 of level. The HUcast was doing about 700damage and he was level 115 with level 24 shifta from that FOnewmn. I was so angry. Unfortuantly 2 days later he got corruped...which leads to my next detail.

2) Sedyne X930 (recreation) FOmar Lv: 78
Well at first I loved this character. I knew he was going to be challenging to use from the begining. After a about 4 days i got him to level 78 and realized i still couldn't handle Very hard forest on my own even with level 23+ techs...yes thats ALL of them. And my lvl 200 mag which had 150 mind..only mde my MST bairly 750. Now with very very very low HP and not so great MST i was getting angry. I was trying to get to level 8- so i suggested heat sword to a few people. A Lv: 72 RAcaseal joined the game and a Lv 68 FOnewearl. The RAcast took out each room with 2 hard hits frmo her Red Shot weapon, and the FOnewearl was taking everything out quite fast and doing aru9nd 400+ damage with all of her techniques. My FOmar 12 levels ahead of the FOnewearl could bairly pull off 400 damage with lvl 29 Foie. (Ouch Slam yes that hurts)

3) V2 Expierance. Meghan Lv 134
I rememeber back in v2 when i had my fomarl i could do quite alot of damage however FOnewmnjs and Newrls defintily had a great advanatage and much easier time than I ever did.

This brings me to argue that MAR characters are the hardest characters to use. Why? Because we have harder times than competeing forces or hucasts in whatever given area. It seems to me we have to spend more time doing other stuff. Do't get me wrong I LOVE HUmars but..it's tough being one. I find it funny when HUcasts bash HUmars because its rediculously easy playing with their high ATP and FOnewmans and newrls can destroy anything in the room.

In conclusion i find MARS are the weakest of all catergories.

*Note: This is a debate. I'm just stating what I've found in my long time playing PSO. Also this is for GC. I know HUmars had it rediculously easy in v1 and v2. However things have greatly changed in the gamecube version. So lets here it!

Brundidge
Dec 1, 2002, 11:28 PM
um ever tried a RAmar on GC yet? I can't really debate unless you debating on those type of mars. A RAmar has balance potential growth but also has the highest accuracy growth of the rangers meaning you can hit anything period. Plus they also can go up to a lvl 15 shifta/deband on their technique list which is pretty helpful if you're the type of ranger that likes to get in the front with some mechguns with a hunter by your side. Not exactly ideal for tanking or anything but I love RAmars cuz of balance stats and versatility on the battle field.

Numair
Dec 1, 2002, 11:29 PM
I agree about FOmars being hard to maintain in battle im offline very hard and forest is a pain but i can handle it and im only lvl 52 FOmars arent terrible but they can be a pain in the butt HUmars had it extremely easy in DC but now they have been cut down Alot I dont know about FOmarl though i havent been able to play with one yet

Sedyne
Dec 2, 2002, 12:19 AM
On 2002-12-01 20:28, Brundidge wrote:
um ever tried a RAmar on GC yet? I can't really debate unless you debating on those type of mars. A RAmar has balance potential growth but also has the highest accuracy growth of the rangers meaning you can hit anything period. Plus they also can go up to a lvl 15 shifta/deband on their technique list which is pretty helpful if you're the type of ranger that likes to get in the front with some mechguns with a hunter by your side. Not exactly ideal for tanking or anything but I love RAmars cuz of balance stats and versatility on the battle field.

My little brother has a huge fat RAmar named Chubs. He has it pretty well off. I believe RAmars have it the easiest out of any Human character. However the rest...bleh. >Still plays as HUmar though < plth http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Whatley
Dec 2, 2002, 12:40 AM
I played with your brother once when I was playing as Celia. It was on normal difficulty and he was using a red handgun. He was also a few levels higher than Celia.

Spy
Dec 2, 2002, 01:25 AM
RAmars rule. Period.

sMaRtAzZ
Dec 2, 2002, 01:36 AM
RAmarls are still good http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

IVI
Dec 2, 2002, 05:50 AM
i dont see how a lv 78 fomar _Cant_ handle v.hard forest, my lv 57 fomar easily wades through wave after wave of v.h caves and mines monsters,and could probably run through ruins with no problem (besides beating falz) my techs are only around lv 19-20 too..

have you taken into concideration that FOmar's specialty is the "Gi" level techniques? give them a shot. and if that fails rememer that the FOmar is more suited for melee combat than any other force. high lvl s/d + a power mag could be ugly.

as far as humars.... i've been telling people they are inferior to HUcasts since the original Dreamcast version ^_^

if only there was a FOcast....

Phobos-X
Dec 2, 2002, 07:23 AM
i agree with Sedyne that ??mar's do completely suck, i have a L30 something FOmar and a L20 something HUnewearl. Id rather play as the hunny mainly because she can actually damage enemies in melee combat and her MST is the highest of any of the non-forces. and to top it off, the FOmar doesnt have TP regen?? who's bright idea was that??? Because of the suckage that is FOmar ive decided to make my HUnny my primary character and just fool around with my FOmar when i get bored

Kupi
Dec 2, 2002, 03:03 PM
Perhaps you just haven't used enough Materials? I'm sure that that could make a difference. Given enough time, there's the capability to max at least 3-4 stats, and possibly even all of them if you worked at it. That's the true strength of humans, but it takes time for them to grow into it.

I will grant, however, that a set of moderate stats does rather prevent you from reaching any extreme, but that sort of thing happens in any RPG. Being able to do everything decently is fun at times. Back to that extreme, though: I'd like to see that FOnewm melee. Can he do any sort of damage at all? Of course not. Can an Android cast techs? Nope. But mars can do both.

And lastly, if you expect to be a damager with a FOmar or FOmarl, you're missing the point. They are more support classes than anything else, using physical attacks to kill time and contibute to the fall of the enemies while waiting for someone else to need their help. I honestly don't think the FOmar and FOmarl were meant to kick butt.

EsperFlame
Dec 2, 2002, 03:11 PM
Mar based characters don't suck. They do hold some unique advantages over other class types. Humar's have more accuracy than Hucasts. Fomars have a higher Def than both newman type forces which is why they are halfway useable in melee combat. Newman are renowned for lower Def and ATA than their Mar counter types. Maybe thats why Newman can't be Rangers. Because they just aren't good enough to pass the ranger tests at school http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Siegfried
Dec 2, 2002, 09:27 PM
I'm a big fan of RAmars. I've been playing them since V2 (started on V2). Reasons why?

* Highest accuracy of Rangers. Definately a plus when a ranger mainly relies on gun type weapons.

* (IMO) Most balanced stats so you're never in a tight spot on certain areas. Say you get gang-banged by the Ult. La Dimineons, at least you can evade, and absorb a lot of damage.

* Pretty high HP if you consider how high your DFP and EVP can get.

* Very good technique usage. Up to and including level 15 techniques ain't bad. Just throw in a few Amplifiers of ## and you've got a support/ranged character.

* (Personal preference) Coolest outfits.

Just my input on the subject. I mean just recently I started a HUcaseal to make a story out of her and my RAmar. He being her maker but since there was an explosion before she could grasp his identity, they were cast apart on the Pioneer 1 explosion, then recovered on Ragol. Afterwhich they meet up against Dark Falz and the bright light he emits after spitting up Rico brings back their memories of then.

Well, I've said enough for this topic. Layter.

TeamPhalanx
Dec 2, 2002, 10:08 PM
You're not being fair...

To start off, let's say there were 4 members on that team doing HS. You, the HUmar, the HUcast, the FOnewm, and say... a HUnewearl. How much damage do you think she would have dished out?

In the second situation you're comparing yourself to a FOnewearl, aka the best tech user in the game.

As for v2, I think there was a debate a while back on the best offline character. It came down to either FOmarl or HUmar.

Mars are far from the weakest - They're the balanced group. Androids are powerful, Newmans are smart, and HUmans are in between.

Brundidge
Dec 2, 2002, 10:58 PM
LOL Siegfred
You linking your hucaseal and ramar stories together? LOL I'm kinda doing the same ahhaahahh! Makes playing it a little bit funner though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ChokingVictim
Dec 2, 2002, 11:18 PM
balance there ya go... mars are for those of use that want to be magic users but still don't care to be dropped like those damn foppish newms...

jack of all trades...master of none

Danger_Girl
Dec 2, 2002, 11:19 PM
Mars evolved from Gibbons.

ChokingVictim
Dec 2, 2002, 11:50 PM
dave gibbons, man i loved the watchmen that's one great fucking graphic novel...

ok, err....who the hell is gibbons

Danger_Girl
Dec 3, 2002, 12:00 AM
There are two kinds Zol and Ul Gibbons. They hop around and climb trees. Scratch under their arms. Have really bad breath.

Vejita
Dec 3, 2002, 12:09 AM
gibbons=epII baddies

Danger_Girl
Dec 3, 2002, 12:12 AM
Thank you Vejita.

Mars might be the weakest link, but Gibbons are the missing one.

Spy
Dec 3, 2002, 12:13 AM
On 2002-12-02 21:00, Danger_Girl wrote:
There are two kinds Zol and Ul Gibbons. They hop around and climb trees. Scratch under their arms. Have really bad breath.

Yeah. And you came from the Mars. What's your point?

Danger_Girl
Dec 3, 2002, 12:17 AM
On 2002-12-02 21:13, Spy wrote:
[quote]

Yeah. And you came from the Mars. What's your point?

Not true, I have never been to Mars.

sMaRtAzZ
Dec 3, 2002, 12:20 AM
think of the Marls! lol FOmarl and RAmarl....dude they rock...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Spy
Dec 3, 2002, 12:39 AM
On 2002-12-02 21:17, Danger_Girl wrote:

Not true, I have never been to Mars.

Glorified lab rat.

Danger_Girl
Dec 3, 2002, 12:44 AM
Monkey boy.

Spy
Dec 3, 2002, 12:49 AM
On 2002-12-02 21:44, Danger_Girl wrote:
Monkey boy.

BMBFMB - By monkey boys; for monkey boys.

I pity you.

Sedric
Dec 3, 2002, 01:18 AM
It's true that androids and newmans are specialized, and mars are in between. But I don't think "weakest link" is a right description for them. Being "Jack-of-all-trade" doesn't mean they suck; it could mean they can be better than "specialized" classes.

Why?

1. Versatility.
2. Well-rounded at every aspect.
3. Traits designed for all-purpose duty.
4. No glaring advantage and strength also means no glaring disadvantage nor weakness. (this is a double edged sword)
5. No need for unnecessary "compensations" that most "specialized" ones are handicapped to have.

Only weakness I see with Jack-of-all-trade:

1. No outstanding strength or advantage that may be needed on certain situations to get the job done. This could also mean that they lose to specialized ones on certain categories.

Anyway, this is what I generally see in mars. Thus, I favor mars over tin-cans or pointy eared lab-rats. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Just my 2 cents.

Wewt
Dec 3, 2002, 06:22 AM
I don't like the human characters as much as the androids and the newmen. Why? Because I hate being "average". I have to be the best, or the shitty types.

Elusive_Llama
Dec 4, 2002, 02:31 PM
Hunewearls are the best. End of discussion.

err..what was the topic again? Never mind, I'd rather look at a Hunewearl than at a Mar/Marl anyway.

ChokingVictim
Dec 4, 2002, 02:54 PM
i think the mar group is the best suited to offline solo play or an auxiliary spot, the newm fos and droids should be first in line for prime magic user or prime tank in any group...mars are good to fill in any gaps