PDA

View Full Version : So i've got my new computer...

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 11, 2007, 09:21 PM
But something's wrong with the raid adapter on the board. The bios recognizes things fine,(Sees 4 hard disks) but when i turn on raid mode, it stalls during boot. I've got an Intel D975XBX2 if anyone's worked with that before where basically the intel satas are on the fritz, but the marvells for some reason aren't. Would doing a bios upgrade get things back on track or should i speak with CompUSA about compensation for breaking the adapter since they put the hardware together.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 11, 2007, 11:18 PM
Well, Even after the bios upgrade, i'm still having the same problem. Computer detects the presence of the drives, but the raid software's all messed up. I'm not sure if i should contact compusa or intel at this point.

Update: Well I found the problem, unfortunately this means that I will have to given intel a call. Apparently when I installed an Belkin IDE raid card, it knocked out the Intel Matrix Sata connectors on the board. I've removed the raid card for now, but I'm going to have to contact Intel to see if they have a way of making the Matrix Sata boot before my raid card, or see if they can suggest a card that won't conflict with the Matrix Sata ports.

Oh by the way, if anyone's interested, once this is resolved here's the config of my compy.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
Intel D975XBX2
EVGA Nvidia 8800GTX
2 GB DDR2 PC 6400 Corsair Ram
Lian-Li PC343B Case
BFG 1KW Power Supply
2.5 TB storage over 9 drives, 4 which are the 640gb Raid 0 for C drive.
Windows XP SP1 (Cause SP2 is bloatware)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2007-02-12 00:03 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Feb 13, 2007, 04:26 AM
If you are worring about the few minor process additions bloating that system you are far too concerned about memory. It's extremely easy to get Windows XP SP2 down to under 200MB for the operating system and all of the drivers. Considering all the security, compatability, and performance fixes it has I don't see reason not to have SP2. For one thing, without it you have to have those extremely annoying install processes to get drives over 137GB to properly recognize along with a USB 2.0 driver. I know certain drivers and programs also have compatability issues with running without the SP2 fixes and wouldn't be surprised to hear Intel give that as one of the suggestions for a fix.

Anyway, if I'm getting this right, you are using a PATA RAID card, yes? What kind of RAID is it? RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, JBOD? How many other PCI devices do you have installed, if any? Does the problem happen with both SATA controllers on the board or just the Matrix ports?

Luis
Feb 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
Did you check if the PATA RAID card got any jumper that you might need to switch for enable the Raid setup correctly, i had that problem long time ago and the jumper was the answer.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 15, 2007, 02:04 PM
1. They fixed the 137 GB bug back in SP1, so that's why I'm using it. Also this isn't a problem with the OS, its a problem with the BIOS. There's some kind of crash going on that renders the Matrix sata ports inoperable while the raid card is plugged in. While it's actually listed as a raid card, i never turned on the raid feature. I just have 4 IDE drives on it, raid turned off.