PDA

View Full Version : Question about Item Availability

Amalga
Feb 13, 2007, 01:42 AM
I've asked this question countless times everywhere else and have yet to get an answer that isn't "online and offline aren't the same."

I've been quite disappointed with PSU's online vs. offline features lately. The fact that the two are completely separate--no character building offline transfers to online mode--is just ridiculous and absurd.

Is that the only thing that doesn't transfer? There are a lot of items that I wish to get, but all I've heard so far is that they're only available online (such as several CAST parts, for instance).

Can I find them offline as well? Or am I stuck with the same old items I found in Story Mode?

A2K
Feb 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
The main reason for the separation is by no means ridiculous or absurd: it's to prevent character-related hacking. When the character data was stored client-side, it was all too easy for a user to modify their file's values: make them LV100, magically put extra items into their inventory, etc. This by itself justifies the change, as this, in past games, became rather problematic.

As for what exactly is available offline versus on, that I couldn't really say. Most sites (including this one) more thoroughly document what's on the network than anything else.

One difference that's made obvious by the types (Hunter, Ranger, Force) list is that axes, grenade launchers, and fans are not available in story and extra mode by the complete absence of the icon. It's safe to say that much more is available online than off.

Amalga
Feb 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
I suppose the issue of hackers does make quite a bit of sense--my lack of experience online (as far as Phantasy Star goes, anyway) didn't tell me that it was that easy to cheat the game. I simply figured that the 360's failsafe (automatically banning users from LIVE who introduce foreign material) would have counted for something. Then again, this is a cross-platform game.

I have seen the Fan in Extra Mode, which is part of what spurred this question. I'm simply a bit tweaked that Extra Mode gets the short end of the straw when it comes to items. Oh, well. I suppose $10 isn't too much to pay for a Guardian's License.

Thank you kindly for your reply.

Jesus_christ
Feb 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree...many more items are available offline as opposed to online, for example, the serafi dagger and the real handgun as well as the two-headed ragnus...but at the same time, I do agree, due to the fact hacking is already on the rise in network mode. that would just multiply it tenfold

and jesus does love you

Sitka
Feb 13, 2007, 06:43 PM
I have no problem with the offline/online item difference as it does prevent one of the avenues for cheating that plagued the previous xbox version of the game.

Many of the items that are currently "offline only" may eventually become online available as they are released by ST. The real handgun, for example, was recently mentioned in a release as a prize for the upcoming Maximum Attack event.

As one who has endured the many phases of PSO in multiple platforms, I find the fact that the 360 is relatively clean and that meseta is still relatively valuable refreshing.

Amalga
Feb 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
Well, that question is answered, at least, but another one arises.

I decided to download the Multiplayer Beta just to test out PSU's online mode, and I really am liking it much more than I do Extra Mode. I'm assuming that I'm correct when I say that my character is stored in SEGA's database with my LIVE account in association.

So, if I decide to purchase a Guardian's License and run the Online mode through my game disc, will I be able to use the same character I leveled up in the Beta?

Sephlock
Feb 15, 2007, 09:46 PM
No