PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a good video camera.

Eihwaz
Feb 14, 2007, 03:01 AM
After spending several hours browsing CNET and Amazon, I've begun to freak out about finding a good video camera.

My desire for such a thing was jump-started by filming a video project for my macroeconomics class. I loved the whole process, so I'd like to try my own hand at some short film making. Right now, I need to experiment around, so one of those $3500 deals on Amazon is ridiculously out of my price range.

So, my criteria are as follows:

Digital please! This is the most important restriction! I need something that will let me, in some form or other, upload the files onto my computer for editing. I'd especially like something that uses an HD or perhaps some form of memory card. It's also important that I am given some form of freedom in terms of dealing with the files (ie, I get to choose what kind of software I use), or some kind of software that is comparable to Windows Movie Maker.

No MPEG-2. Since I'm going to be working with less refined video anyway, I'd like to be able to edit without loosing quality. Hence, no MPEG-2.

Price. I'm not especially rolling in money right now. Anything over $1,000 is immediately off the list, while something up to the $500ish range is the most likely price range.

Ease of use. I'm looking for something that's pretty user friendly. I can figure out more complicated things, surely, but I want something that will let me film videos with the least downtime.

To give some examples (and prevent people suggesting the exact two that I've already find) click here (http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-C40-Digital-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000E1HW6K/sr=1-96/qid=1171436118/ref=sr_1_96/102-9389586-3869730?ie=UTF8&s=photo) and/or here (http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-MPVR-MPEG4-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B000AV14J0/sr=1-8/qid=1171435109/ref=sr_1_8/102-9389586-3869730?ie=UTF8&s=photo). I kind of like the sound of the Sanyo Xacti VPC-C40, but the software issue sounds annoying. Neither of these are truly ideal, but they seemed to be better than most of what else I could find.

I hope you guys can help me out.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 14, 2007, 04:22 PM
Damn Waz, it's like this topic came screaming to me. What with the filmmaking stuff and your RFI sig. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyways, i'm going to tell you now that going all digital is a filmmakers worst nightmare. It may seem like a natural, especially considering that the best way to edit film is digitally. However, the quality is very low compared to DV and MiniDV tapes. Unless you want to spend in upwards of $3500, which as you stated isn't an option.

The best, and most ideal for any amateur to semi-Professional filmmaker is MiniDV. Most MiniDV cameras require that you have a firewire cable to hook it up to your computer, but the quality is more than decent and the cameras are relatively low-cost as compared to some Digital cameras, which can be in the $1500-$5000 range.

One major question is: Do you want focus control? As a filmmaker, I find that having control over the focus is a very important thing to have especially in low-light shooting conditions. Most cameras will not give you this option, instead having an auto-focus that can't make up it's mind. It's also a nightmare during tracking shots (moving on a rail) because if the camera is moved too fast it will go right out of focus.

Hit me back with some more questions, i'll be glad to help you find a camera that's just right for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2007-02-14 13:22 ]</font>

Out_Kast
Feb 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
I can only tell you to not work with a DVD video camera. They are so much more complex than the tape or hard-drive ones.
I had one. And it went back to the shop within the same week. Whereas the one I've got now is perfectly okay, and it was also very cheap http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
I have two VHS video cameras >_>;

Allos
Feb 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
Go with any of Panasonic's 3CCD cameras. They utilize mini-DV tapes for recording, are very easy to use, have amazing color recognition for cameras in the 350-700 price range, and are relatively small and lightweight. I use a PVGS300 for situations where I can't use larger, film based cameras.

Luis
Feb 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120034

thats a good one!!

Eihwaz
Feb 14, 2007, 10:02 PM
On 2007-02-14 13:22, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Damn Waz, it's like this topic came screaming to me. What with the filmmaking stuff and your RFI sig. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyways, i'm going to tell you now that going all digital is a filmmakers worst nightmare. It may seem like a natural, especially considering that the best way to edit film is digitally. However, the quality is very low compared to DV and MiniDV tapes. Unless you want to spend in upwards of $3500, which as you stated isn't an option.

The best, and most ideal for any amateur to semi-Professional filmmaker is MiniDV. Most MiniDV cameras require that you have a firewire cable to hook it up to your computer, but the quality is more than decent and the cameras are relatively low-cost as compared to some Digital cameras, which can be in the $1500-$5000 range.

One major question is: Do you want focus control? As a filmmaker, I find that having control over the focus is a very important thing to have especially in low-light shooting conditions. Most cameras will not give you this option, instead having an auto-focus that can't make up it's mind. It's also a nightmare during tracking shots (moving on a rail) because if the camera is moved too fast it will go right out of focus.

Hit me back with some more questions, i'll be glad to help you find a camera that's just right for you.

So, miniDV tapes do work in tandem with a computer? Huh, I guess you learn something every day.

On the issue of focus, I'm not so sure. The main movie I'm planning on making (for a student film festival) is going to take place in well-lit interior environments, or outside. I think that focus might be a more significant issue in the future.