PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a PSP.

Sexy_Raine
Feb 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
I plan to buy a PSP because PS2 IMO is pretty much dead. So I'm planning on getting one. What everyone's opinion on it?

That new remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood which was exclusive to Japan is coming to the states along with the full version of Synthony of the Night. That alone is a reason to get a PSP. But what's on the PSP that's good right now(besides MGS). Please don't say GTA, I don't like GTA.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 15, 2007, 02:16 PM
The Metal Gear online Portable Ops sounds pretty good from what I've read.

But I don't plan on picking up a PSP, even for the upcoming Castlevania remake, as its still a $200 handheld with $30 proprietary movies to me.

The PS2 isn't really dead right now, with God of War 2 coming out sooner or later. Also Persona 3 and other RPG's if you're into any of those.

DizzyDi
Feb 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-02-15 11:03, Sexy_Raine wrote:
I plan to buy a PSP because PS2 IMO is pretty much dead. So I'm planning on getting one. What everyone's opinion on it?

That new remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood which was exclusive to Japan is coming to the states along with the full version of Synthony of the Night. That alone is a reason to get a PSP. But what's on the PSP that's good right now(besides MGS). Please don't say GTA, I don't like GTA.

In order to get the FULL potential out of a PSP, you're going to need at least a 1 gig memory stick, a usb cable, and you're going to have to download a few programs for it.
My PSP is tricked out. It can play GBA, SNES, Genisis, PS1, AND PSP games without the disk.
Otherwise you'll get bored with its pretty lame game library, even though it has a few gems out there.

Edit: PM me if you want more info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-02-15 11:59 ]</font>

trypticon
Feb 15, 2007, 03:41 PM
Waste of money. The games for it suck for the most part, and the features it supports are fairly useless. The support of UMDs isn't helping it for movies, either.

Yeah, like DizziDi said, you'll need at least a 1 gig memory card in order to get some better potential out of it. All in all, they should have named it a POS instead of a PSP.

Kent
Feb 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think it's pretty ironic that "to get the FULL potential out of a PSP," you have to get emulators and, more than likely, illegal copies of old games. :/

I'm getting full potential out of my DS, by just having it and a few games for it... And for the total price of just a PSP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

...Anyway, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is a port of Valkyrie Profile, which was a great PSX game. There are also some collections of older games (such as the Sega Genesis Collection), which allow you to play some older games, you know, legally. Then, I believe, there's a collection of several Capcom games... Which includes one of my favorite puzzle games ever, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (which, coincidentally, is also available on the GBA - meaning it can be played on the DS).

Conversely, the PS2 isn't exactly dead. It's selling better than the PS3 is, currently... And you've got Guitar Hero II selling like crazy, and God of War II coming out next month, which looks to be insanely awesome... And then, of course, some future Guitar Hero games also coming to the PS2 (and Xbox 360, and Wii)...

Edit: I just found out that Crazy Taxi is coming to the PSP. Being that Crazy Taxi is made of an interesting, yet effective combination of awesome, pwn, and win, the game will probably end up as a must-have for PSP owners.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-02-15 16:16 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Feb 16, 2007, 10:25 AM
I'm actually getting a PSP in about 2 weeks so i was looking through Gamespot for all their games.
Other than what's been said, Lumines looks real nice, Tekken Dark resurrection is basically a staight up port of the arcade version, Burnout revenge because any burnout game is awesome and they have a Katamari game.
There aren't really that many good games, compared to the DS anyways, but running a PSOne emulator on it seems pretty awesome.

Schubalts
Feb 17, 2007, 12:19 PM
I have had a PSP almost as long as it's been out. The only games I still play are Untold Legends, and Hot Shots Golf.

GIMME THE SRPG'S SONY! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DLShAdOw
Feb 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
there is only one reason to buy a psp anymore. don't buy it if you are not willing to hack the shit out of it and put all sorts of roms on it. The first thing you have to do when you buy it is make sure NOT to upgrade it or you're screwed. I personally don't really like my psp, but if i put the time and effort into putting all sorts of stuff on it I'm sure I could enjoy.

BOTTOM LINE:

GET A DS http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

g0r177az
Feb 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
On 2007-02-15 11:59, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2007-02-15 11:03, Sexy_Raine wrote:

In order to get the FULL potential out of a PSP, you're going to need at least a 1 gig memory stick, a usb cable, and you're going to have to download a few programs for it.
My PSP is tricked out. It can play GBA, SNES, Genisis, PS1, AND PSP games without the disk.
Otherwise you'll get bored with its pretty lame game library, even though it has a few gems out there.

Edit: PM me if you want more info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2007-02-15 11:59 ]</font>

Nice. Anyways, I did that and my PSP got bricked...
-.-. Anyways, yeah. As long as you don't do stuff you don't know then you will be fine. And PSP's are awesome!

DizzyDi
Feb 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
I almost bricked my PSP one time.
That sucks for you man http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.
PSP would be great if developers would just stop giving us half-assed games and old PS1 ports.
And more network games.
Monster Hunter Portable 2 isn't going to be a network game, and I can't run Xlink on my PSP cause I don't have a compatible router. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DizzyDi
Feb 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
On 2007-02-17 09:19, Schubalts wrote:
I have had a PSP almost as long as it's been out. The only games I still play are Untold Legends, and Hot Shots Golf.

GIMME THE SRPG'S SONY! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Actually is an SRPG out there: Spectral Souls. I played it for like 5 seconds cause the ISO I dl'd was messed up so I can't tell you how it is.
Also there is an SRPG coming out called Jean D'Arc which is basically a sugar-coated anime version of the story of Jean of Arc.
If you can read japanese there is a game from the makers of Disgaea on the PSP too, I forget what its called.
FFT is getting a PSP remake as well, with two new classes and CGI cel-shaded cutscenes.

SubstanceD
Feb 19, 2007, 04:30 PM
Good for you.

I'm into rpg's so I own Tales of Eternia and Breath Of Fire 3 ( both exclusive to Europe for some strange reason although they should be easy to get a hold of if there is agames importer near you.

I also own Locco Rocco ( highly recommended, most fun I have ever had with my PSP, the only must own game for all PSP owners ), Power Stone Collection and the Sega MegaDrive ( Genesis ) Collection. I own a few more games but they really arn't mentioning.

I am interested in Metal Gear Portable Ops ( although I have heard terrible things about it ), Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Crisis Core and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

Samaine
Feb 19, 2007, 06:10 PM
i like psp.