PDA

View Full Version : "Good is Crap," is NOT Thought

PJ
Feb 18, 2007, 05:19 PM
Believe it or not, this rant is NOT based on PSU. Yay!

It's actually based off my english class. We are currently in the middle of discussing an essay in our textbook titled, "The Closing of the (North) American Mind." It's pretty much telling us that, in short, our generation sucks, our school system sucks, has no morals, and doesn't question anything.

My classmates proved very well how we don't question things. VERY well.

First of all, I have to point out the first irony: the whole essay is a, "Review," of the book, "The Closing of the American Mind." There is, absolutely, NO original thought in this essay, and it pretty much just regurgitates what the book tells you in 4 pages [or less].

We have our teacher talking to us, and we raise our hands when we have something to chip in. All you hear is, "Yeah, our school system DOES suck." "I don't remember what I learned at all!" and, of course, "nobody questions things."

If you don't remember what you've learned, that just means you're retarded and has no fault on the part of the teacher of our, "Messed up system." And if questioning means, "Everythings sucks," A fucking plus.

Except that that's NOT questioning. In fact, the mindset that everything sucks is VERY obviously bandwagon. You don't need a reason for something to suck. As long as it DOES suck, you're automatically superior to everyone else, and you've questioned it. Days done, good job! Yay you!

Irony part 2: This, "Essay," states that truth is not relative. So obviously that means there is only one truth, one set of morals, etc. Yeah, THAT'LL make us pioneers of innovation, of original thought! This is disproven by the sole fact that different cultures and individuals have their own sets of customs, morals and values. Truth is relative.

There's no real organized thought to my rant at all, just mostly frustration.

DonRoyale
Feb 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
Geez, PJ, we might as well be fighting each other for the title of ruler of this forum.

Hmm...4 pages or LESS? Fuck, I'd hate to do that-I like making shit long...>.>

And I agree. Blame it on your PREVIOUS teacher for not having you remember it well enough. And if others disagree, blame yourself for throwing the knowledge away in favor of that hot girl you really want to have sex with. >.>

And I question things. I just do it in private, because I'm not teaching no retard-if they want to learn, they'll ask. I'm not holding their hands and/or pulling them along.

And everything does not suck. People who think that...suck. >.>

ENGLISH SUCKS HOOOOOOOO~

geewj
Feb 19, 2007, 05:07 AM
In the retarded masses defense, a sign of a broken system is a regurgitated mass of retards.

It is the burden of the few who don't seem to be dependant on those around them to form an opinion to use that opinion to try to help out the mass of retards, supposing they give enough a damn to try and help.

Then the another problem is that no one wants to be told 'Hey, you guys are all retarded. So listen to me so we can do things better'. They'd rather all get together and give the power to someone they can identify with, because they are too retarded to know any better. And then the chosen retard doesn't want to give it up. And then things get even more retarded, making even more retards, so on and so forth.

So if you are in a position to understand how to change things, that's only the passive half of the battle. Bragging rights comes from actually accomplishing something with it.

zwandude15
Feb 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
Not everything sucks.

Just rants...

Believe it or not, this rant is NOT based on PSU. Yay!

Truly. Yay!

Solstis
Feb 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
The mythbuster or super critic does little but inflate his or her own ego by assuring his or herself about how right he or she is.

Problem is, most people (at least in hi-tech, mass communication societies) have already reached this point and rarely accept things at face value; the bandwagon that they were following was a rejection of common standards. Unfortunately, they internalized it (or fortunately, who knows), and people joining PJ's bandwagon are doing the same thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif By agreeing with geewj I am also falling in to a similar trap.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 19, 2007, 02:31 PM
>.>

But who really likes to be wrong though? So inevitably you will jump into a bandwagon with the assurances it will promote that you are in the right. Its natural to do so. Sometimes even you yourself start up a bandwagon just because someone aggreed with you, thus also then making you part of the bandwagon just created by your own assertion of rightfulness. Its a never ending cycle.

People should embrace being a hermit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
On 2007-02-18 14:19, PJ wrote:
We have our teacher talking to us, and we raise our hands when we have something to chip in. All you hear is, "Yeah, our school system DOES suck." "I don't remember what I learned at all!" and, of course, "nobody questions things."

If you don't remember what you've learned, that just means you're retarded and has no fault on the part of the teacher of our, "Messed up system." And if questioning means, "Everythings sucks," A fucking plus.

It just sounds like the students who may or may not be doing well just found a teacher approved scapegoat to blame their GPA on or something, in writing! Direct proof which is encouraged to be discussed as an immediate "Why?!" in their here and now.

If you don't approve of the subject material you could go to staff to request transfers to different teachers, yeah? Whom perhaps aren't teaching the same material?

But if you're passing and don't care either way as you're doing better than the majority of the class or whatnot, just go with it for now. The school year isn't that long and post-High School, you can be selective about the specific English/Philosophy/Crit thinking/etc. classes you want. It really makes no sense to worry that much about someone else's learning in your environment if they aren't getting it in your eyes. No need to step on other people to put yourself further away from them, even as a facade of tiers and placing which are all but dissipated immediately after High School when everyone goes their separate ways.

Solstis
Feb 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
On 2007-02-19 11:31, Scejntjynahl wrote:
>.>

But who really likes to be wrong though? So inevitably you will jump into a bandwagon with the assurances it will promote that you are in the right. Its natural to do so. Sometimes even you yourself start up a bandwagon just because someone aggreed with you, thus also then making you part of the bandwagon just created by your own assertion of rightfulness. Its a never ending cycle.

People should embrace being a hermit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I never said that you could stop the cycle, unless you annihilated cognitive thought or something. Inescapable cycles can be pretty, anyway.

PJ
Feb 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
On 2007-02-19 11:17, Solstis wrote:
Unfortunately, they internalized it (or fortunately, who knows), and people joining PJ's bandwagon are doing the same thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif By agreeing with geewj I am also falling in to a similar trap.

Despite how obvious that is, I never really thought about it like that.

Bandwagons for everyone! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Garroway
Feb 19, 2007, 06:25 PM
As far as I can tell the school system is indeed "broken". However, using a broken system as an excuse for failure is absolutely preposterous. At some level the indvidual must take accountability for ones own education. The last time I checked there were still books in the library and the discovery channel still shows some very interesting documentaries (not to mention how tremendous of a rescource the internet has grown to be). Perhaps the real failure is the apparant dismissal of personnal responsability.

geewj
Feb 19, 2007, 08:39 PM
On 2007-02-19 15:25, Garroway wrote:
As far as I can tell the school system is indeed "broken". However, using a broken system as an excuse for failure is absolutely preposterous. At some level the indvidual must take accountability for ones own education. The last time I checked there were still books in the library and the discovery channel still shows some very interesting documentaries (not to mention how tremendous of a rescource the internet has grown to be). Perhaps the real failure is the apparant dismissal of personnal responsability.

But you are suggesting the world today teaches people to branch out on their own rather than buy ipods. The majority of people are a product of their enviroment.

Though I hear you can get Discovery Channel podcasts on your ipod. Best of both worlds? Or is that just what they want you to think...

Jehosaphaty
Feb 19, 2007, 09:00 PM
On 2007-02-19 17:39, geewj wrote:
But you are suggesting the world today teaches people to branch out on their own rather than buy ipods. The majority of people are a product of their enviroment.

People are a product of their environments agreed, but is it the world's (and by world I'll go ahead and assume you mean society in general unless you meant something else in which case I'll still take the liberty of calling it society hah) responsibility to rear everyone in a like-manner? If it is society's job to educate people then what are the tangibles that should be taught? Leaders generally emerge by their own desires/will; if everyone else wants to be a vegetable so be it.

Solstis
Feb 19, 2007, 10:03 PM
Jehosaphaty... are you referring to leaders or politicians? There's a difference. People are grown into the latter.

"Grown" meaning guided, etc. I stand by my assumption that politicians are souless. At least, that's how they look on TV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-02-19 19:04 ]</font>

Jehosaphaty
Feb 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
On 2007-02-19 19:03, Solstis wrote:
Jehosaphaty... are you referring to leaders or politicians? There's a difference. People are grown into the latter.

Leaders was used loosely, like as in someone who deviates from the norm of "retardedness" in geewj's example.

Garroway
Feb 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
Well I've always been somewhat of an outsider so I wouldn't consider myself part of the majority. From the outside looking in it seems that society in general has done its best to remove personal responsibility from the equation. I would say that what the world is teaching today is that any amount of effort spent working toward a goal is good enough, and the actual achievement of that goal is unimportant. The harsh reality is that sometimes you will exert a tremendous amount of effort and fail. Failure is an important lesson to learn but the lesson being taught is that success and failure are irreleveant, the only thing that matters is that an effort is made no matter how pathetic. The result of course is that insincere and inadequate effort resulting in failure is rewarded the same as honest effort resulting in success.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
In short we have become a society of instant gratification with minimum input. Want a solid example? A new Lexus car that parallel parks for you. Neat? Right? Think of it on a more psychological point of reference, its just another scapegoat onto which we release all of our guilt and responsibility. Much as we have grown to "need" a government to fend for our stupid selfs. The more advanced we claim to be the more codependant we become. This was even illustrated in the Matrix movie. The traitor of sorts... wanting to go back to being plugged into the matrix very well knowing its a pseudo reality. Why? Because the real life was too harsh for him... booo hoo hooo. This is a movie of course, and fictional. But wisdom does not care where it originates from. It boils down to that its easy to blame a "system", school, leader, etc. But all of those things are an end result of our ammassed lazyness and wanton desire to let someone else deal with it.

Meh. Now Im just ranting. -_-