PDA

View Full Version : A character-based theory of rare drops (hidden Section IDS?)

imfanboy
Feb 22, 2007, 03:00 AM
So, yeah.

I was idly going through a possibly rare map on Unsafe Passage (B-1 or B-X, the lying bastard that never gives the rappies), when I saw a deljabaner board drop.

Ordinarily, I would have just thanked my luck, moved on, and never thought twice about it, but this board has cemented my suspicions that there's something more to luck than just the li'l stars, and it has NOTHING to do with feng shui.

You see, I get either a deljabaner, del jagnus, or a deljaban arm at LEAST once every 10 runs even when I have no luck at all, and if I have even one luck - look out!

However, my newman has nothing more than ordinary luck anywhere else if I'm leading.

So I got to thinking, "Maybe there's a hidden section ID where your character gets good drops based on your name/race or something like that, but only in certain areas, and only if you're leading - and if you don't have that, you're rolling against a game that's using loaded dice."

I know that I've heard of people getting 3-4 Crea Double boards (people that I TRUST aren't lying), and one of my friends has gotten something like 13 Tails from De Ragan, no matter what luck it's on.

I also noticed, when the Mines Recovery mission first came out, that my human female was getting good drops even WITHOUT any luck - and when she did had 3 luck the next day, we were averaging 21 rares a run, at least 3 of them 10*+.

Come midnight tonight I'm gonna be testing my 2 luck in Fight For Food S, looking for a Crea Double board. Whether or not I get it, I know that I'm going to be getting some good things. Maybe I'll get another deljaban blade and make the deljabaner, maybe not.

Has anyone else noticed that a character of theirs has peculiarly outstanding luck in one area, no matter how many stars are dancing in front of their name? I'm not talking one or two runs; a consistent payout of good items over an extended period of time should be the criterion for adding a comment.

Of course, the only way you would have noticed this is if your chosen character just 'happens' to be well-made in order to succeed in an area that's frequently ground.

Any thoughts?

Syl
Feb 22, 2007, 03:41 AM
I call it just coincidence =/ Sometimes you got luck and sometimes you don't. It isn't consistent enough...

I was in a party recently where so many rares were dropping (about 6 per block =o) it wasnt even funny. Itwas over at Lab S. We had a 11* drop three times, and maybe about 4-5 10*, out of the 5 runs we did...

But man, I also have luck... with synthing. My cast and her 430 synthed 26/30 Riflics yesterday, and has awesome luck with Deathmakers too (last time I mass synthed, it was about 17/20 successes).

Kili
Feb 22, 2007, 04:58 AM
Of coures there is a posibility that hidden section id's have been written into the game, but in my opinion its all down to luck. i dont believe theres any way of mapping out whether you have a higher chance of getting certain 'rare' items in certain areas, however i may be wrong.

its an interesting theory, ive had runs where its seems that every other enemy or box will reveal a rare item, especially on Mizu S runs.

Hm, maybe ill do a little research of my own on some more Mizu S runs and see what i find.

-_Tao_-
Feb 22, 2007, 10:01 AM
my main must have THE worst luck in the history on PSU.

RedX
Feb 22, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, I think there might be. Two days ago I was running Unsafe passage for levels(first day online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) and i got around 2 Kubara woods a run. I had zero luck and am a Male cast. So I decided to do some runs yesterday and in about 5 runs I got 6 more Kubara woods. So I think there is http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kili
Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
why do you like never find any rares or something? i went through a phase where i wouldn't find anything decent for ages, but then i would find a heap of good stuff all at once.

Edit: this reply was to Tao's comment

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kili on 2007-02-22 07:16 ]</font>

Kili
Feb 22, 2007, 10:37 AM
A thought just occured to me. Also check the days that you were doing these runs on, obviously your luck will change from day to day, but maybe the days in which you did these set of runs in you had a luck score of 3 or something ( this would only really apply if you did the same area all day). Take this hyperlike to the luck charts and see what level your luck was on these days: http://www.psupedia.info/index.php?title=Luck

Im not saying there is no hidden section ID code, but maybe this was the coisidence.

SolomonGrundy
Feb 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
I do find it hard to belive sega could not keep thier hand out of the candy jar in this regard.

On my fortefighter, it's like pulling teeth to get weapons to drop from monsters. However, with my alt who is a ranger, I pick up 2 per mission - it's almost annoying.

My theory is that it is tied to job, and influences luck/drops (modifies the %s), but does not outright change them.

Kili
Feb 22, 2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah thats a good anatomy, my fortefighter hasnt been getting many rares at all lately either.

Also it may then go on as far a the race affecting the % drop rate aswell ( as a modification as you change from one class to another).

Kaydin
Feb 22, 2007, 12:48 PM
Kadan never seems to find squat, but when I play on Mathyu rares drop like candy. Especially copernia. A few friends and I were going to play Train B a few days ago, I was on Mathyu. We found a copernia in the first AND second room of the first run, and another in the next run. When I do Train B with Kadan, nothing drops. My Twin Crea Sabers dropped while I was on Mathyu as well, first run again. All these were on 2 luck at max.

Mat's got 3 luck today... I smell Crea Doubles hunting. =D

Syl
Feb 22, 2007, 02:19 PM
I thought while synthing about this again while synthing some more Riflics last night, wake up this morning, and successfully synthed 10/12... this is insane lol. I'm going to keep synthing them to see if I actually have Riflic luck...

Kion
Feb 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
Steyr, even if you don't believe in feng shei, you might look at what decor those people have. When I'm farming for phtons my character that has all 7* items for forniture usually gets a higher drop count than another one of my characters with level 1 luck for that day.
If you want to compare deljaban drops, i think my record stands... 1 [b] deljebaner, 2 [b] del jagnus and 2 deljaban blades in 6 runs. Female cast, if you want to go with the secret class thoery.

imfanboy
Feb 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
well, I'd trust feng shui more if I hadn't've swapped all my room decos, in the exact same configuration, to characters over the last 3 weeks who had 2-3* luck at various times and tested it.

Ah well, I'm not worrying about it - not enough data yet.

Soukosa
Feb 25, 2007, 09:24 PM
I find it rather unlikely that ST would stick something like this into the game and not tell us on top of having it affect only certain areas. Section IDs from PSO are something I surely don't miss. Limited you from being able to use names for certain chars if you cared about what ID you got and often it was better to get an ID that suited the character, making it even more annoying.

Also, photon fortune (it's not called luck, damnit) doesn't affect the rate at which a rare item will show up but rather the drop rate of the things that drop them. So in the case of boss rares, it will have no effect at all since all of the boss boxes have a 100% drop rate.

Skids
Feb 26, 2007, 01:08 AM
Thats a very interesting theory. Which can defiently have some merit to it.

SarinSerafi
Feb 26, 2007, 02:28 AM
On my main (70/10 female beast Fortefighter) I get nice rares in Sleeping Warriors S and on occasion, Demons Above. When I play on my alternate characters (like my female human fighgunner) I see nice drops in De Ragan runs. Tails, seen rappies twice yesterday (and I wasn't playing that long) and lots of copernias. And for the first time, I saw Relic Edge drop in a random Sleeping Warriors B run on the fighgunner as well.

I'll try playing different stages on my other alts and see if I get more rares elsewhere.

MrFortegunner
Feb 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
On 2007-02-22 00:41, WatchThemFeed wrote:
I call it just coincidence =/ Sometimes you got luck and sometimes you don't. It isn't consistent enough...

I was in a party recently where so many rares were dropping (about 6 per block =o) it wasnt even funny. Itwas over at Lab S. We had a 11* drop three times, and maybe about 4-5 10*, out of the 5 runs we did...

But man, I also have luck... with synthing. My cast and her 430 synthed 26/30 Riflics yesterday, and has awesome luck with Deathmakers too (last time I mass synthed, it was about 17/20 successes).

OMFG!!! I WANT YOUR LUCK!!! MINE STINKS!!!!

XDeviousX
Feb 28, 2007, 05:49 PM
[quote]On 2007-02-25 14:59, Kion wrote:
Steyr, even if you don't believe in feng shei, you might look at what decor those people have. When I'm farming for phtons my character that has all 7* items for forniture usually gets a higher drop count than another one of my characters with level 1 luck for that day.
If you want to compare deljaban drops, i think my record stands... 1 [b] deljebaner, 2 [b] del jagnus and 2 deljaban blades in 6 runs. Female cast, if you want to go with the secret class thoery.

[/quote

In fact some room decor states it's for "luck" like to Moatoob Idlle... Come to think of it my freind had that decoration and found a crea-zashi board on moatoob the first day he got the decoration... (He did have 2 luck as well but...) I never found anything before I decorated my room, no joke, not even a Kubara wood dropped for me, only got stuuf when missions were set on random or order but now I get a decent amount of rare drops... It could be coincidence as well...

I was also on a mission where 2 crea double boards dropped and the leader of the group had a Hive room decoration he had found earlier that day...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-02-28 14:51 ]</font>

Kion
Feb 28, 2007, 08:19 PM
Spooky o.0. This mystery might call for fred and the gang.
I tend to believe in fng shui above other thories as it wouldn't be there at all if it didn't have some funtion. If decor was just for decoration, the room tiles wouldn't be different colors and the decorations wouldn't even deserve a rarity as they'd simply be for apearance. It is a rare item based game and feng shui has ST writtn all ovr it
I think that decor might also affect location. I find the best drops on Grove and such and my decor is mostly Neudaiz orriented.

As a request to future posters, could you not only write where you find good rares, but also what's in your room, class and race (to cross examine). In additon wether you have the supposed (see below) configuaration or not.
A__B__D
C_____C
A_____D
___B___
E_F_F_E
the more data gathered the better.