PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Talent

PJ
Feb 25, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well, I know PSOW rants section isn't exactly the place to go for sympathy anyways.

Bite me.

I guess I'm feeling frustrated. (Guess? Why else would I be in the rants section?) I feel like EVERYONE ELSE on the planet has like a million talents, or atleast one thing they do ridiculously well, where you just look at them and say, "Wow, that's amazing!"

Jealousy is the obvious word that comes up. It's not a spiteful, "I wish they weren't so fucking special!" jealous, just a, "I wish I had something that wasn't, well, nothing."

I really don't know where I'm going with this. Ranting for the sake of ranting, yo.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
You may have yet to find your talent in your short time on Earth?
Or perhaps being such a keen observer of everyone else's talents is your talent.

They have jobs for that skill too.

Or this could be a kick in the pants to get to trying out more new things to see if you're any good at them.

Firocket1690
Feb 26, 2007, 12:09 AM
Dude. Any kid with 65 lv100 pokemon shouldn't be complaining about lack of talent.

That's motivation, right there.

Work at something you like, dedication isn't something everyone has. I know a whole bunch of peopel who give something up after two fuckups.

geewj
Feb 26, 2007, 01:53 AM
Few are born prodigies.

The rest just stick with it. Enjoyment is the best motivator.

SabZero
Feb 26, 2007, 09:14 AM
Talent is overrated.

Dhylec
Feb 26, 2007, 09:34 AM
Like G said, I think talent is born with, not something that can acquired easily.
Try one's best, it might not be at the pro's level, but that's a try.

Tomoki
Feb 26, 2007, 10:57 AM
You can write an awesomely motivating rant in like, five paragraphs! I am wowed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Scejntjynahl
Feb 26, 2007, 12:24 PM
Born with talent? BS. As human's go we are the most helpless useless piece of skin and meat at the moment of birth. Can not even fend for ourselves.

And "talent" is just another way to claim individuality... and here is the biggest trick of them all PJ, you are an individual by default. We all are. We all perceive, feel, think, do things differently. Only do we at times share similar thoughts and actions, but how we arrive to those is unique to us all.

The only "talent" that concerns me is this: You are PJ, and there is no one like you for that is impossible, and therefore the talent of being you falls on you. So keep up being who you are PJ, and worry not about the other people's attempt to identify themselves by setting themselves apart from everyone with their need of approval.

Garroway
Feb 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
I find that I beat myself up over this fairly often. It helps to remember that on average it takes about 1,000 hours of practice for most people to become proficient at most things (your milage may vary) and I'm not sure how long it takes to be amazing at something. I think the kind of skill you're looking for is the kind of skill that I am looking for, and it I find that takes a lot of pain, frustration, and time to get there. Those that have attained the level that we desire always say that practice is what gets you there. I haven't found any evidence to the contrary so I'm just going to keep practicing and hope that I get there some day.

hollowtip
Feb 26, 2007, 02:10 PM
Like someone stated previously, talent is overrated. What if you did have a talent? Would you put it to good use, or would it be just be a bragging tool?

Being talented in a particular craft doesn't automatically catapult you to professional levels. I have never known anyone in my life who were incredibly great in something without practice. Sure they may have been naturally gifted, but never the best.

I am from the school of thought that men/women can do anything they want. As cliche as it may sound, I don't think there can be a truer statement.

What seperates people who actually achieve their goals and aspirations to those who run out of steam is desire.

I'm the perfect example of someone who let a major opportunity slip (due to my talents and gifts) because I let one event influence my desire. I had many doors open for me, but because I didn't love what I was doing, the deterrent I faced was a permanent one and the doors shut faster than they opened.

But I'm straying a bit. The moral of this post? Anyone that has actually achieved greatness with inherent talent still has to practice to achieve some level of greatness. You can be good at anything you want as long as your desire can survive the setbacks you'll ultimately face.

zwandude15
Feb 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
You know, it's funny how many people look like
they couldn't do anything but manage to, and yet, we
always find ourselves thinking, "I deserve something more than they do."

Hence your jealousy, hence our sympathy, etc.

Is there something you'd like to do?
You just gotta have a passion for something really.

Everyone's unique.
I've found myself in your situation, and I just try to be
the best I can be all around, the person I feel like I should be.

It's more satisfying than any talent, and in a way, is a talent. =]

SuperRygar
Feb 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
we are indeed born with talent. and often its things completely unrelated that train your mind for other things. ive been playing video games my whole life, and when i got my first car i was just naturaly good at it. and sometimes if you try new things, you'l realize that right off the bat your good at it. i suck at drawing things with no reference, but the first time i tried drawing an anime character, it was perfect. just keep trying things until you find something your good at. not everybody is good at "popular" things, and everybody is bad at something. i cant cook :/

Ma_Navu
Feb 27, 2007, 11:57 AM
To respond to your plight, I will assume three point-of-views.

Pessimistic/Emo: We're all gonna die someday. So what if you have a great talent? Not like it's gonna stop you from dying. Life sucks, get a helmet.

Optimistic: Everyone has a talent, whether it be drawing, sprinting, driving... you name it~! Everyone has something they're good at doing, you just have to find yours!

My P.O.V.: In my perspective, there's no such thing as "Talent," only strengths and weaknesses. Over the years, I've learned what they are-- my thought processes are above average, but I can't make snap-decisions, as it always leads me to ruination (For example-- at one point, I was cornered between a pool, and my brother with a hose; looking back, I shouldn't have jumped into the pool, since it destroyed the electronics in my pocket). If you haven't found a strength yet, relax. I'm sure you'll find one.

'Cause you gotta remember, no matter how hopeless it is, it's not as bad as losing your Gameboy and phone to pool water. xD

MT7218
Mar 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
Well wait a tic here people! There's something to be said for talent being in the genes! Yknow.. If you're dad's a great nuclear test subject, you're going to be great at throwing laser beams from your eyes! XP Don't worry too much PJ, You got a talent. You made ME post on this thread http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif That takes skill if you ask me, And frankly, I believe talent is developed from both genes, and the psychological study of Nature vs Nurture. (Basically how your world is around you, vs how you were raised.) I sorta can golf really well, and i dont even try. (My dad's a freaking golf maniac. You think gamers pay outrageous prices? Try paying 500 dollars plus to go walk on someones mowed grass with a pin and a hole for 18 holes! XP ..But the land IS beautiful, so...)

Bot-Bot
Mar 3, 2007, 11:15 PM
Personally, I am able to balance things on my chin. Yup, things like a broom or a branch, I can balance them on my chin.

I never "learned" how to balance things on my chin, one day I just tried it, about 3 years ago, and it worked! Since then I have wowed people, because I can hold stuff up there for 30 sec. or longer.

Was I born with it? Sure, like I said, I never taught myself to do it, I just did it. I know it sounds wierd, but I think I really was just born with this talent.

DonRoyale
Mar 10, 2007, 04:56 PM
Uh, you're a good friend. >.>

Perhaps you've yet to find yours. Keep searching, and ask others' opinions. The best way to find out what you excel at is through the opinions of friends.

Thalui89
Mar 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
Ok Pj i can see where your coming from wih your 1st post. I did art in my final years of school and there was an AMAZING lass in my class who could draw anything she wanted. My work looked like a childs drawing compared to hers hehe- even though my worked look like FAIL to hers, i still passed the exam (woot).

Now that im at college, im doing English language and omg theres yet another talented lass sat next to me in it. The teacher practically bows down before her and treats her like a queen.

Basically what im trying to say is in their life there are some extremely talented people. But what being talented usually comes with is a supressed personality or a real attitude problem. to me having the right attitude far outweighs having mass amounts of talent. And not having a talent at something also gives you something greater to work towards, one things for sure - youll never get bored like they will.

If im still not much help then theres a simple saying: "There are those that are born with knowledge, and there are those that must bury their heads in books to obtain it"

DurakkenX
Mar 11, 2007, 01:04 AM
On the contrary to belief natural talent is the worst thing to have in many respects in this era from my pov.

Personally I can play piano 6 times better than people who practice without much practice if at all over the same time span.
On a bad day I have an IQ of 140.
I understand much more than most people will ever.
I am better at many games than the average person and excel quite quickly with practice.
I'm naturally good at drawing.

That is only the tip of the iceberg too. I have to say that with so much going for me nothing in the world is really all that much of a challenge and anything that I find challenging it's even more challenging to find people to teach that subject or know about that subject.

Not to mention any talent that is visible to people soon becomes a burden in school because many people are jealous and the education system is really unfortunately horrid.

There is more working against people with talent than you could possibly imagine and there really isn't a place for people that are superior in anything other the scholastic memorization. With the ease and conquering of many things people that do have talents tend not to be interested in that which they are talented in simply because it is too simple for them or/and their pears are jealous of them which makes relations within the area which they excel difficult at best.

Sure there are some instances where this isn't true but more often than not it is and as such many with talent are more jealous of those without because the most important thing to humans is interaction and love which is usually the opposite of what their talents get them.

Thalui89
Mar 11, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ok Durakken, are you actually talking about yourself in that top bit of the post or are those just examples?

DurakkenX
Mar 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
indeed ^.^ I know it sounds arrogant but it's all true unfortunately.

Thalui89
Mar 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
OK not to sound bitchy, but IQ tests are made of fail =P. They ask questions in which some people have not even encountered - how can a person be graded for things they dont even know? E.G my sociology teacher is intellegent as she went to university etc, yet she's hopeless at IQ tests, largely due to the fact their made of FAIL and ask questions which she has never encountered as she doesnt need them.

Another issue i have with your post is "i understand much more than most people ever will" to me that came across as arrogant as just because your intelligent, it doesnt make you all knowing and powerful.

Heh Its attitude like that that pisses me off particularly due to the fact i have an english language teacher with that attitude and my old art teacher had it. Its amazing how god like some people can try to make themselves.

In most schools, people are frowned upon for their talents because of the persona they have developed. The education system in the UK literally feeds brighter students doses of arrogance by giving them special attention and a higher position of power in class. This is why people without talents tend to conflict with those that have it. The most amusing part about the enitre ordeal is that the brighter students believe their being treat differently because the teacher cares for them. In mnay schools the teachers just see the student as a good grade and a way of getting a pay rise.

To me a persons personality is far better than their shizzy IQ. Some people should really just get over themselves. Their not better because they have talents, their not all powerful and nor will they ever be. I'd rather have a decent group of friends, and a personality that people see as good rather than being isolated with a superiority complex.

So basically those of you who believe you are "gods among insects" get over your selves.

DurakkenX
Mar 11, 2007, 05:12 PM
lol, that's my belief too, A good group of friends is superior to any talent you could ever have mainly because working in groups accomplishes more and if one does have a failing they will always e supported by their friends.

My statements are not meant to sound arrogant, but I will not lie about myself simply because people find it arrogant. You notice I seperated IQ from understanding? IQ can be raised and lowered over time by simply studying it really is just a measure of how much basic understanding of very basic principles you have grasped and use. I understand math and I'm actually good at it after someone reminds me of all the rules, but I usually fail at it and have a hard time with basic math even though a lot of what i toy with uses basic algebra. Luckily what i deal with only involves figuring out how to get to the answer...not getting the answer lol.

As far as the understanding more than many ever will comment...well it's never been proven false and I've come across some pretty deep thinkers have thought and came to the same conclusions as many of the great thinkers have years ago and then dismissed them because they are simply wrong. Honestly, I'd prefer not to understand the implications of many of the things I do, but then I wouldn't be me and I'd still seek out this information and still be in the same boat ^.^

Those who are considered "genius" in school are mainly those with good memories for trivial facts and they lack the understanding of what it means because they either lack the experiences of the world or the context for which the detail happened. Me, i hate details for the most part because more times than not they simply don't matter and in the case of many subjects are wrong.

No matter how smart someone is it doesn't make up for the lack of personality ^.^

Solstis
Mar 11, 2007, 10:52 PM
Even just a bit of sensory irritation or (even worse) sensory overload makes me sound like a babbling idiot. That is because I have actually turned in to one.

I've been on a month's long creative slump--mostly because I've convinced myself that I'm a talentless dork. Problem is, I need to learn how to balance my ego; I convince myself that I'm a genius, which of course, leads to a spiral of wounded pride. Surprised that I don't have a drinking problem. Even now, I'm setting myself up as a tragic character so that I can feel better.

DurakkenX
Mar 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
Artists suck if they're not tragic though...

Solstis
Mar 12, 2007, 05:00 PM
Tragic artists have a bad habit of dying young. I think that I'd rather be a happy artist than a dead one.

BlueDagger
Mar 20, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-03-12 15:00, Solstis wrote:
Tragic artists have a bad habit of dying young. I think that I'd rather be a happy artist than a dead one.

But if you die young people will rmember you young. Not as "that guy who used to be famous but's old now".

I want to acheive my goals then die! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif