PDA

View Full Version : Wii Play - What do you think?

Tomeeboy
Feb 26, 2007, 05:07 PM
I've been playing around with Wii Play a little since it arrived last week. A fun little collection of mini games, although a bit too basic in some aspects. Anyone else get their hands on it yet? I basically ordered it as a way of getting an extra Wiimote. Seeing as how the game is essentially about $10 after factoring in the cost of a Wiimote, it's not a bad deal.

Of the games, I think the Tanks game is probably the most addictive and challenging. I'd recommend plugging in a nunchuck for it, though, as it makes the controls much more enjoyable.

The shooting gallery is pretty good (like a revamped version of Duck Hunt from the original Nintendo). The laser hockey and billiards games aren't too bad either (although I wish they had polished up billiards a bit and added some more options and game modes to it).

Overall, I was expecting the games to be really simple and didn't have very high hopes for how fun they would be. While the games did turn out to be very simple (as they are intended to teach people the basics of the Wii's unique controls), I was surprised that most of the games were more fun than I thought they would be (even if that fun was short-lived).

Also, slightly off topic, but is anyone else wishing that they'd release a new Wii Sports title that had more content than the original (ie: more options, play modes, levels, etc.)?

VioletSkye
Feb 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
I got Wii Play also just for the extra remote and it's actually pretty fun considering it's just basically a loose collection of demo-esque games to show off the Wiimote (much like Wii Sports.) My favorite is definitely Billiards. I agree that they probably could have packed in just a few more options, but for what it is I'd say it was worth the extra $10 for someone who needs anotehr remote.

Offtopic, I downloaded Donkey Kong Country last night and my wife and I played til midnight. I'd played the original back in '94 but she had never played it before and ended up being totally hooked http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ps, what is up with the everyone votes thing? I downloaded it and tried it out for like 10 seconds before getting bored. Is it just a collection of polls that "wii" vote on?

-Crokar-
Feb 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
just got it for the remote. games are not that great

Moo2u
Feb 26, 2007, 07:39 PM
I got it for the extra controller too, and let my say, each game is ten times more fun playing with a buddy.

Shooting is a bit of a tease. I mean it's fun, and the pin point accuracy is nice, but I got a platinum medal fairly quickly on it. It would be nice for a futhur duck hunt type game to come out. But I like the nod that dogs bark before ducks come out.

Find Mii is actually the funnest game for "non gamers" I played it with a bunch of my friends who arn't particularly good with games, and they can't get enough of it.

Pose Mii is up in the air. I really like it, but alot of my friends don't. Maybe it's cause I rock it it too much, I don't know. Either way, some will love and some will hate.

Table Tennis is another one that's up in the air. I think the controlers are fairly simple, but my friends keep getting frustrated when they randomly hit the net or the opposite player gets a power shot for no good reason, which is understandable.

Laser Hocky (which it more like neon hockey) is very boring alone, but oh so fun with a friend. It's pretty much Wii Pong, which isn't a bad thing. My only complant is that the paddle sometimes sticks when it touches the sides.

Billiards took me by surprise. It's has a surprising layer of depth to it, and it probably one of my favorite games to just pick up and play if I have a few minutes. I'm hoping some kinda game expanes on it.

Fishing sucks. Periode. Control sucks, game sucks, it sucks.

Charge is meh. It would be alot better if the controlers were a little tighter. Once you get off the track, it's a pain to get back on. (also, cow racing?! Silly Nintendo! You're so wack!)

Tanks is the most fun of all games, and it's still challenging. Two player is also very fun, as you can choose to work togeather, or to attack each other. Deffinitly the crowned mini game

All in all, this is worth it to get another controler and a fun bunch of mini games for two. I don't think there's going to be a new Wii Sports, but there's going to be a Wii Music and a "Wii Health Pack." What those exactly are, we'll probably have to wait and see.

Zelutos
Feb 26, 2007, 11:28 PM
I just bought it tonight. I'll try it and get back to you later http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Edit: The tank one is soooo cute! I love it! The Laser Hockey one is fun too!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2007-02-26 21:22 ]</font>

kurisu1974
Feb 27, 2007, 04:37 AM
On 2007-02-26 16:09, -Crokar- wrote:
just got it for the remote. games are not that great

Same here. The only fun thing is the tank game.

Tomeeboy
Feb 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
I thought that getting the medals was pretty easy as well. I was expecting something a bit more challenging (like with Wii Sports Training). I received gold medals on at least half of the games on my first run through them. After getting 100 returns on ping pong the first run through, we were sitting there looking at the top score chart wondering what the other 9 spaces were for.. heh.

As far as replay value goes, there are a few of the games that would be fun to play every once in a while with other people. By yourself, though, there isn't much replay value there. The replay value of Wii Sports is a lot better in my opinion, especially if you like games like Bowling and Golf, since it's not likely that you'd be getting a perfect score any time soon (I've got a -8 on golf, and my bowling high is only 225).

Wii Play definitely needs to be played with other people, though, or it's going to be pretty boring (with the exception of maybe tanks and one or two other games).

Leviathan
Feb 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
i couldnt even find one where i live. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
but im sure its great. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Rainbowlemon
Feb 27, 2007, 06:08 PM
I got Wiiplay on the 9th December, living in UK....so I've kinda grown tired of it now. But, I do agree it's really fun with friends! Like with Wiisports, I wish they'd have put a bit more into it...the games are nice, and quite inventive, but they've not got that much replay value solo-play.

I'd say it's worth the extra cash on top of the remote though, if you don't already have the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Feelmirath
Feb 27, 2007, 06:56 PM
I got Wii play for Christmas, and I can't really say I played it much.

Great for those drunken nights, though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Wyndham
Feb 27, 2007, 09:10 PM
I will get it eventually, But I need monies first.

Bot-Bot
Feb 27, 2007, 10:20 PM
In response to your second question, about revamped Wii Sports. I thought that they could make the bowling a little more like real bowling, i.e. weighted balls, oil patterns, bowling styles, etc. As I am a bowler myself, and want to make it more like real bowling, rather then rec. bowling. Possibly have a career mode, where you earn money and sponsorships, win tournys, and have computer players to play against. I think that would make it 10x more enjoyable.

As for the other sports, I don't really care. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bot-Bot on 2007-02-27 19:20 ]</font>