PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm about to freaking give up!

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
Call me crazy, but I just bought a gaming PC to play this game, after repeated failed attempts on my regular comp.

After all this anticipation, I put the disk in my new computer, AND I NOW FREEZE WITH EVERY INSTALL ATTEMPT!!!

GAH!!!

Rizen
Feb 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
I suggest searching the tech support part of this forum, I believe this issue was answered before.

Edit: Oh and also be sure that your PC is updated with the most current version of Direct X.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-02-28 16:48 ]</font>

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
I looked there, but found nothing similar. If I try to install DX, the computer "clicks" and everything closes. Then if I restart FireFox, I get a message about how it closed abnormally and do I want to restore.

If I try to install PSU, I just freeze.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

APEXi
Feb 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
sounds like one helluva "gaming pc" to me..

edit.. clicking sounds like a harddrive issue

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: APEXi on 2007-02-28 17:26 ]</font>

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
I admit that I am a noob, and purchased based on very basic knowledge. These are the specs (note that it has two video cards... I plugged the monitor into one of them, wasn't sure what to do about the other):

Time of this report: 2/28/2007, 19:20:47

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: americanfuture
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 173MB used, 2286MB available
Windows Dir: C:WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GS

Edit: it's the monitor that makes the clicking sound.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: happy_cricket on 2007-02-28 17:27 ]</font>

Schubalts
Feb 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
That looks like more than enough to run PSU. Were you having any problems before you tried to install PSU?

Rizen
Feb 28, 2007, 08:37 PM
Make sure that the onboard and offboard video cards are not conflicting...also what type of monitor you using? Is it old? (resolution supported?)

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 08:40 PM
None.... in fact, oddly enough, if I so much as run the dxdiag tool with PSU in the disk drive, the computer restarts. No problem without it though....

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-02-28 17:37, Rizen wrote:
Make sure that the onboard and offboard video cards are not conflicting...also what type of monitor you using? Is it old? (resolution supported?)

I'm not sure how to make sure they aren't conflicting...

Regarding the monitor, it's VERY old... I got it for fee at work. Would that make an install freeze?

EDIT - oh, and thanks for your help. Juan is at a loss. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: happy_cricket on 2007-02-28 17:44 ]</font>

APEXi
Feb 28, 2007, 08:43 PM
directx is not the problem, i'm using same version, you said it freezes suring install though? not when you try to run the game?

happy_cricket
Feb 28, 2007, 08:46 PM
Right.... I put in the disk, go to my computer, click on the PSU icon, and the very first menu comes up (Install Game, Install Direct X, Options, etc). If I click on Install PSU, the computer freezes. If I click on install Direct X, I get the "click yes to accept" screen, then the computer seems to reset if I go any further.

foamcup
Feb 28, 2007, 11:34 PM
Would a monitor make the istall freeze? Are you serious? Man, throw out your PC (or give it to me) and get a console version of this game.

Boot into Safe Mode and try to install. Hold F8 when the computer is starting to bring up the menu where you can select that.

SabZero
Mar 1, 2007, 05:46 AM
Well, installing DirectX will reset (or test or whatever) the gaphics card, so that's normal.

Go all the way through the directX installation from the PSU disk first. If after that and a reboot, it still doesn't work, you will have to do some cleaning up on your system - uninstall applications you don't need or use (control panel, add/remove software), update your virus scanner, get Spybot S&D, turn off your internet connection and scan for viruses and spyware. Then run a scandisk/disk defragmentation (these should be in start-programs-acessories-system tools or left click on the diskdrive, properties, tools tab, "check errors" then "defragmentation")...

Don't forget to turn your internet back on after. If all that doesn't work, you probably should ask someone nearby you to take a look (possibly help with a windows reinstall - last resource).

happy_cricket
Mar 1, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you. It's a brand new computer - hopefully I wont end up sending it back.

Genji
Mar 1, 2007, 12:49 PM
Do you have the same problem with other game discs? Could be a problem with your DVD drive.

VioletSkye
Mar 1, 2007, 01:02 PM
I would try returning the game and getting a different copy.

Kaydin
Mar 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
On 2007-03-01 09:49, Genji wrote:
Do you have the same problem with other game discs? Could be a problem with your DVD drive.

This exact thing happened to me once. Replaced the drive and it works fine.

happy_cricket
Mar 1, 2007, 04:51 PM
Cross your fingers. I opened the case, and there was a cord unplugged that goes to the disk drive. I plugged it in, and am now installing PSU - so far so good.

Thanks for all the advice.

happy_cricket
Mar 1, 2007, 07:10 PM
It appears to be all good! Wahoo!

SabZero
Mar 2, 2007, 05:00 AM
Haha, what a dumb (and hard to debug) probelm. Glad you could fix it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif