PDA

View Full Version : FFXII getting in the way of PSU...

Thrash777
Mar 2, 2007, 01:55 PM
I wanna play PSU and actually put my GL to use, but FFXII is just so good!

I really need to catch up on PSU playing... my main character is only Lv52!

(PS. If you were wondering where I have been, FFXII is the answer.)

curlack45
Mar 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
FFXII, well, it's a load of shit to me (sorry for my language). My friend brought it round mine, and i thought 'Yeah, final fantasy, one of the best RPG's (appart from PSO/U =p). And, i thought it was rubbish, heck, i thought crystal chronicals was better XD!!!! And that sucked ass. The thing that really got to me, was how boring it is, mainly the attack way, it really is slow, stupid and irritating, not to mention unrealistic.

Sychosis
Mar 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
The obvious answer is to break your FFXII disc in half. Then get online! >:O

Itchee
Mar 2, 2007, 02:08 PM
Oh boy....
< ...so hard....not...to....flame..FFXI... >

Ive said it before, and ill say it again.....while IMO FFXI has the best mmorpg gameplay system, it is absolutely ruined by its community and its insistance on excessively time-consuming activities.

McLaughlin
Mar 2, 2007, 02:15 PM
As a level 75 PLD, RDM, with all the properly levelled subjobs (NIN in particular was hell in a handbasket), I can honestly and truly say I hate that game.

A large part of my hatred stems from the community rather than the game itself (though it was designed to be tedious). The rest comes from never being able to get my PLD AF2 stuff T_T

That crap looks SO DAMN HOT!

Sychosis
Mar 2, 2007, 02:16 PM
We are talking about Final Fantasy 12 right?

Itchee
Mar 2, 2007, 02:17 PM
On 2007-03-02 11:15, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
That crap looks SO DAMN HOT!

I got incredibly tired of going out of my way to save up for/hunt for new gear, just to have it look exactly like the same shit I had on....just a different shade...

McLaughlin
Mar 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
I was just replying to Itchee.

I have yet to open my FFXII case, or the behemoth of a guide.

Itchee
Mar 2, 2007, 02:19 PM
Are we talking about 12? Oops.
When on a online rpg forum, I just assume people are talking about 11.

Sychosis
Mar 2, 2007, 02:20 PM
I just wanted to verify that my ability to discern Roman Numerals had not deteriorated is all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Thrash777
Mar 2, 2007, 02:28 PM
Please note: I was going to post this in Off Topic, but then decided against it, because this is PSU related, thus I put it in PSU General...

So I don't see why this got moved, cos there have been similar, if not more off topic than this in PSU General.

But anyway...

I'll probably bouce between FFXII and PSU for the next 4 weeks, lol

Kent
Mar 2, 2007, 05:29 PM
I just completed FFXII last night.

I have concluded, that FFXII is a much better way to spend $60 (collector's edition - the game would be worth the price regardless, though) than PSU and a month of service is.

Just as the system of FFXI was the logical evolution of the MMORPG gameplay (which, just look at how clean, easy-to-use, and unintrusive the UI is...), FFXII is the next step from that, just condensed into a non-MMO setting. I finished the main story at around the 80-hour mark, which is really good for a modern RPG - especially being that it keeps up the caliber the whole way through - and I've still got a plethora of Hunts and other side-quests to do.

Pretty much the only thing I don't like about FFXII so far, is the lack of multiplayer, because the game's system would totally work for it. Weigh that against all the things wrong with PSU, and... Yeah. :/

If FFXIII is this good, then it and MGS4 together, might actually make a PS3 worth getting.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 2, 2007, 08:07 PM
I got FFXII last week, when it came out in england. I've played it practically non-stop since it came out. I just...can't get off it. I can safely say it ranks probably in my top 3 video games of all time - Tis like world of warcraft with a far more captivating storyline =)

McLaughlin
Mar 2, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-03-02 14:29, Kent wrote:
If FFXIII is this good, then it and MGS4 together, might actually make a PS3 worth getting.

That, good sir, is heresy.

In all seriousness though, I just don't like the games on the PS3. Nothing against the console (considering I own the whole thing between my Wii and 360) but the way Sony is running their business...Ugh. Someone needs to shank them with an AIDS infected toothbrush.

Heavenly Sword looks pretty tight though.

Kent
Mar 3, 2007, 02:15 AM
On 2007-03-02 20:27, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2007-03-02 14:29, Kent wrote:

That, good sir, is heresy.

Yes, I know, but FFXII is that good.

RuneLateralus
Mar 3, 2007, 05:41 AM
The thing I loved about Final Fantasy XII was the fact it felt more like a traditional RPG (like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, and Neverwinter Nights...huh, ironic those are all d20 games) more than it did like the previous versions that appeared on the PSX and PS2 (most of which I never cared for). And it also had a much more interesting storyline that didn't involve whiney emo brats most of the time. It really deserved all the praise it got. And, like Kent said, it is very much worth the money over PSU and a month of gameplay time.

As for the short discussion of FFXI that we had, I played the game with the Japanese release of the first expansion (before FFXI as a whole came to the US) and had more fun with it when none of us really knew what the hell we were doing while occasionally pissing off Japanese players who could not communicate the small group of importers. When the game came out to the US...I really got to understand what the hell I was supposed to do.

Sure, FFXI had a nice interface that was seemed to be designed for people who never played an MMORPG before. And keeping it simple for those early levels was nice. The major area where Square Enix screwed up was the point after you get to level 10. Except for maybe a couple of classes, you were forced to team up with other players, making the game very unfriendly to players who like to solo every now and then. And finding groups was a chore to begin with. I had to wait an hour and a half a few times to get a group.

Very poor design choices really killed the game for me. Shame too as it had a lot of potential to live up to a universe that people were very familiar with. At least Blizzard seemed to take notice of how to make their MMO live up to the franchise.

Unrelated note: Lets hope the developers of Age of Conan can do the same...

McLaughlin
Mar 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
On 2007-03-03 02:41, RuneLateralus wrote:
Sure, FFXI had a nice interface that was seemed to be designed for people who never played an MMORPG before. And keeping it simple for those early levels was nice. The major area where Square Enix screwed up was the point after you get to level 10. Except for maybe a couple of classes, you were forced to team up with other players, making the game very unfriendly to players who like to solo every now and then. And finding groups was a chore to begin with. I had to wait an hour and a half a few times to get a group.

Very poor design choices really killed the game for me. Shame too as it had a lot of potential to live up to a universe that people were very familiar with. At least Blizzard seemed to take notice of how to make their MMO live up to the franchise.

Unrelated note: Lets hope the developers of Age of Conan can do the same...

RDM before level 40 takes an hour on a good day. Bad days I never got a Party >_>

PLD post 70 took a bloody fortnight to get a Party. Many people seem to be under the impression that 2 NINs can tank better than 1 PLD.

My AF2...T_T

Parn
Mar 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
On 2007-03-03 02:41, RuneLateralus wrote:
Except for maybe a couple of classes, you were forced to team up with other players, making the game very unfriendly to players who like to solo every now and then. And finding groups was a chore to begin with. I had to wait an hour and a half a few times to get a group.
Well, the problem stems from the fact that Final Fantasy XI used the original Everquest as a model for design, a game where you also had to wait forever to assemble a good party and then camp a spot, pulling one monster at a time and grinding for hours.

Square's next MMO will hopefully break away from that mold, as they'll be left behind if they don't. As for Age of Conan, it looks pretty and sounds promising, but Anarchy Online was Funcom's other MMO and uh... yeah. Worst MMO launch in the history of the genre combined with a game that still hasn't come of age makes me scratch my head. Personally, I don't think Age of Conan will work out all that well, but I'd like to be wrong.

Schubalts
Mar 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
Off-off-topic, but...Isn't Square's newest MMO going to be free? The gibberish Babelfish spat at me made it seem so.

Also: GIMME FRONT MISSION ONLINE, GODAMMIT!

Kent
Mar 4, 2007, 09:58 PM
On 2007-03-04 17:12, Schubalts wrote:
Off-off-topic, but...Isn't Square's newest MMO going to be free? The gibberish Babelfish spat at me made it seem so.

I'd like to see where you read that. First I've ever heard of it, and it's extremely unlikely.

PJ
Mar 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
All I heard was that there's a ninja sword called Ashura in FFXII.

If so, I wanna play. If that sword is awesome enough, I may even beat the game.

Schubalts
Mar 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
On 2007-03-04 18:58, Kent wrote:

On 2007-03-04 17:12, Schubalts wrote:

I'd like to see where you read that. First I've ever heard of it, and it's extremely unlikely.

Someone linked to a website, on the MMOSite.com forums.
It's too late right now for me to go find that post, though.

DizzyDi
Mar 4, 2007, 11:09 PM
On 2007-03-04 19:30, PJ wrote:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?fitem=1799
Ashura
Kinda sucky.

I was a lvl 66 Elvann MNK/WAR before quitting. Sometimes it took me DAYS to get a g-d damn PT.
But man did I have some fun in that game.

Schubalts
Mar 5, 2007, 01:24 AM
You don't know the LFG Blues until you play a DRG/WHM or DRG/BRD. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

SubstanceD
Mar 5, 2007, 05:55 AM
Final fantasy XII was only recently released over here in Europe ( 23rd Febuary ) so at the moment it is the game I am playing the most. It's still a bit premature for me to rank it in comparrisson to the other FF games ( I 've only just reclaimed the dawn shard ) but so far it is very, very good. Sadly it is also very time consuming, especially if you are taking part in the clan hunts and other side quests.

Kent
Mar 5, 2007, 07:29 AM
On 2007-03-04 19:30, PJ wrote:

"Ashura" is the weakest Ninja Sword-type weapon in the game. :/

Ninja Swords aren't that great, in the first place... All Ninja Swords are Dark-element, and there are very few enemies you'll fight, that are weak to Dark... In fact, Undead (and Fiends) are far, far more common, and absorb Dark. :/

Ninja Swords are good in that they have a high chance of comboing, are pretty fast, and take the character's Speed rating into account when calculating damage. However, you can't use a shield with them, which is a great defensive asset. For someone with good STR, using a Sword is really the best option, because they're not only pretty powerful, but also allow usage of a shield. Of course, then there are Maces, which take into account Magick Power when hitting enemies...

I turned Penelo from a pure mage with a weak staff, into ... a pure mage that can hit surprisingly hard with a mace, and uses a shield.

...But yeah, if you have a character that's really speedy (in my case, Vaan), try out Ninja Swords and Daggers, since they use Speed in their damage calculation.

That's not to say, that there aren't other really good weapon types. Katana (different from Ninja Sword; these are two-handed), like Maces, use Magick Power in the damage calculation, and Poles (not to be confused with Staves or Rods - these are the things you'd expect to see a Monk with) use 'normal' damage calculation, except factor against the enemy's defense instead, and have a pretty good combo rate. Easily one of my favorite weapons.

McLaughlin
Mar 5, 2007, 07:45 AM
On 2007-03-04 22:24, Schubalts wrote:
You don't know the LFG Blues until you play a DRG/WHM or DRG/BRD. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I love DRG/WHM. Their Wyverns become useful. >_>

RDM/NIN is a biatch, but I agree. Dragoons get the short end of the stick. Not sure why. I take DRGs over WARs any day. T_T

Schubalts
Mar 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
Ah, Kent. Found the forum post on MMOSite. Someone who plays it posted that Fantasy Earth Zero is currently free-to-play in Japan. And there's a link to the Japanese homepage in the topic, too.

http://forum.mmosite.com/topics/54/200701/25/793,1.html?time=1173122269

Kent
Mar 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
Oh, Fantasy Earth... I was thinking it was something important, like the new Final Fantasy MMO (supposedly "Final Fantasy XIV") they announced at the FFXI Fan Festival, way back when. :/

Thrash777
Apr 28, 2007, 03:32 PM
I've bounced back to FFXII AGAIN! After having a weeks long play on PSU, I accidently touched FFXII and now have got addicted to that again! Gaaaah!

DizzyDi
Apr 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
On 2007-03-05 13:04, Kent wrote:
Oh, Fantasy Earth... I was thinking it was something important, like the new Final Fantasy MMO (supposedly "Final Fantasy XIV") they announced at the FFXI Fan Festival, way back when. :/

So now that this topic is bumped...
A LITTLE BIRDY TOLD ME that the new FF MMO is going to be in Ivalice.
ORLY? SIGN ME UP!
O'course, I didn't if this is true or not so don't get all uppity.

Kent
Apr 28, 2007, 09:51 PM
On 2007-04-28 13:38, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2007-03-05 13:04, Kent wrote:

So now that this topic is bumped...
A LITTLE BIRDY TOLD ME that the new FF MMO is going to be in Ivalice.
ORLY? SIGN ME UP!
O'course, I didn't if this is true or not so don't get all uppity.

Ivalice would make sense. It lends itself well to the idea of an MMO-style game, as we've all seen already.

Oh, and woah@bump from almost two months away.

Besides - doesn't the fact that you're coming back to FFXII and having to actually force yourself to play PSU instead of it, say something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-04-28 19:52 ]</font>

Thrash777
Apr 29, 2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah, true, I love both games it seems...

DizzyDi
Apr 29, 2007, 10:10 AM
On 2007-04-28 19:51, Kent wrote:

Ivalice would make sense. It lends itself well to the idea of an MMO-style game, as we've all seen already.

Oh, and woah@bump from almost two months away.

Besides - doesn't the fact that you're coming back to FFXII and having to actually force yourself to play PSU instead of it, say something?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-04-28 19:52 ]</font>

Back when my PS2 was still working FFXII was getting in the way of my PSU playtime as well.
Balthier is THE best FF character ever created, as a matter of fact, the whole cast of FFXII is my favorite.
FFX comes in at a second with Wakka taking the cake for that one.
FFIX as my third cause ViVi was badass.