PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so horrible at Ultimate difficulty?

gravitypenguin
Dec 4, 2002, 10:44 PM
Background information (character):
name:0 hp

lvl: 72

class: Hunewearl

weapons: yamato+18, varista+25, gigogooma's claw+15, rappy's fan+2, last surviver
armor: gravitron plate

slot: god/body

shield: secret gear

mag: either a (15 def, 92 str, 35 dex, 0 mind) or (13 def, 67 str, 105 dex, 3 mind) depending on need for acuracy.

Now ultimate forest was ungoldy hard. with my str mag I would only hit about 10% of the time with my varista and about 37% of the time with anything else (a bit more when using light attacks). The most damage I could pull of in a hit was about 300 with the gigogooma, but thats not much good when you miss more than half the time. The monsters do 25% to 50% of my life in damage each hit.

When I fought the sil dragon I was doing almost no damage and missing more than ever though I beat him after about 20 minutes (no item, boo!).

Anywho on to the question:
Why am I sucking so much? I am playing like crap? Is it my equipment? Or am I just 10-20 levels too low for the difficulty level?

Anywho I could use some feedback since this is the first time I've gotten to ultimate and if its like this all the time I'm gona run and hide in a corner now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Dec 4, 2002, 11:19 PM
Right now, I'd reccomend leveling up before you attempt ult mode again. When I was lv 72 (HUmar) I could barely take it, so I KNOW you're going to have a hard time. Do some online Heat Swords with people to lv up. I'd strongly reccomend you being in the 90-100 range before you try to take ult.

Maelkith
Dec 4, 2002, 11:22 PM
get that graviton plate up to 4 slots and equip 2 elf arms and a general battle in the 4th slot. if you find an ultimate sheld, swap out that for the secret gear. buy some of those expensive guns from the arms dealer with 35-50 hit%. it's better to have a lockgun with 40 hit than a varista with 0% to hit that misses alot.

you need 185 ata (approx) to do any good in ultimate.

Blue-Hawk
Dec 4, 2002, 11:58 PM
On 2002-12-04 20:22, Maelkith wrote:
get that graviton plate up to 4 slots and equip 2 elf arms and a general battle in the 4th slot. if you find an ultimate sheld, swap out that for the secret gear.

you need 185 ata (approx) to do any good in ultimate.

no. dont use the arm units. get more body or power units. also, dont listen to himabout the ultimate shield. i have a lv 90 hucaseal now and shes STILL usig the secret gear she found on hard. its def is at least 30 - 40 points higher than the ultimate shield.

also, that 185 ata is a load of crap. my hucaseal is doing solid damage and minimal misses with her h&s25 justices at max grind and her ata is only 154 base.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blue-hawk on 2002-12-04 21:00 ]</font>

Kayumi
Dec 4, 2002, 11:58 PM
I had an easy enough time on Ultimate forests with my level 70 RAmarl. Up until the Sil, anyway. Took four scape dolls each time I've fought him. Haven't gone far into the caves yet--everything's taking too long to kill and I wanted to go through VH ep 2 first.

neko-chan
Dec 5, 2002, 05:24 AM
On 2002-12-04 19:44, gravitypenguin wrote:
Now ultimate forest was ungoldy hard. with my str mag I would only hit about 10% of the time with my varista and about 37% of the time with anything else (a bit more when using light attacks). The most damage I could pull of in a hit was about 300 with the gigogooma, but thats not much good when you miss more than half the time. The monsters do 25% to 50% of my life in damage each hit.

That's Ultimate. ^_^ I just tried it with my lvl 59 Hunny, and I had pretty much your same problems. Be sure always to cast Jellen and Zalure on them and equip the best ATA mag.

Other than being able to do more damage, I think Zalure helps you to miss less (this is just my impression >_> ).

Try two hits combo, run around, repeat until they die. Use some spells too. I can do from 150 to 200 pts of damage with Zonde or Foie.

When I fought the sil dragon I was doing almost no damage and missing more than ever though I beat him after about 20 minutes (no item, boo!).

I did not have this problem. Maybe you fought it online, right? Because I was able to do from 150 to 300 points with my Musashi. As usual, cast Jellen and Zalure on him. Also, be sure to add as much as you can Resist/Freeze units. They may help you while fighting the dragon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-12-05 02:31 ]</font>

CajunSamurai
Dec 5, 2002, 11:28 AM
I assume you haven't played V2's ultimate mode. Man, that was much, much more difficult. I'm not trying to make a point or anything, but man, Lv80 on Ultimate on V2 was insane.
However, the GCN version's Ultimate mode really is much easier. My FOmar got to the caves offline at Lv62 with no trouble.
However, I have a whole lot of experience with Ultimate, so that doesn't really mean much. ALSO, FO always had a much easier time in Ultimate at first because of their magic. In V2, magic was really the only way to do damage at first because all other attacks usually missed or did PATHETIC damage. Luckily, it's relatively easy to lots of damage with weapons this time around, but FO still have a big advantage early on due to the fact that their magic is pretty strong around this point and never misses.
So, I'd recommend you level up in VH online and get to Lv80 before you try it offline, if you're having problems. That's the required level for playing Ultimate online anyway, and it's a pretty good level to begin Ultimate mode at, in my opinion.
Otherwise, yeah, just use every bit of PSO skills you can muster. Jellen and Zalure are a great combo when paired with Shifta and Deband, especially so on Ultimate. Always try attacking monsters from the rear or flank, never from the front unless you're sure you'll kill it. Never get surrounded, etc. Use common sense and skill, and it shouldn't be too bad. In my opinion, as long as something doesn't kill me in one hit, then it's never too hard to play. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Best of luck. There's nothing like finding your first Ultimate mode spell or rare. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jae
Dec 5, 2002, 12:34 PM
Well I guess I'll chime in since I'm lvl 109 and still suck in Ultimate online lol.

1) You need stronger weapons. Honestly the best thing you have going there is the Yamato, and that's already on the verge of being outdated unless you grind it like crazy. Rappy Fan is good too, but not nearly strong enough to do significant damage. Stuff like Dragon Slayers and Last Survivors won't cut it in Ultimate. Either trade or fight through until you find something better.

2) Your armor needs more slots/units. Every little bit helps. An addslot is only 1 photon drop in that online shop quest...

3) Try different weapons for higher accuracy. I was pleased to find out that some weapons needed less ATA to hit consistently. If you rely too much on your Survivor or Yamato, you'll miss a lot early on and you'll get mauled. Even though Partisans and Daggers are weaker, they seem to hit more consistently. You might also want to try high hit% mechguns for one-on-one situations. I couldn't survive Ultimate without my 50% hit Gatling. Don't let the weak ATP rating of mechguns fool you. All that goes out the door when you use the normal-strong-strong combo and connect on 8 or 9 hits.

4) Shifta and Deband are necessary. Jellen and Zalure are secondary but they help a lot.

5) Hit and run with melee weapons. You don't have to use all three hits in a combo. The third hit is always the one that gets you knocked on your rear.

6) Keep leveling up and keep raising STR on that power MAG. As a Hunnie, you'll find that in higher levels, you'll still be a lot weaker than the other HU-types on the field. Try to compensate as much as you can.

Good luck.

Mosaik
Dec 6, 2002, 03:55 AM
I would advise against using a yamato when playing by yourself. The weapon just leaves your character vulnerable, open for the beatings ultimate mode monsters are more than willing to dish out. While your character is still weak, use safer weapons such as handguns or partisans and gradually work your way up. ATA is important. Shifta, deband, jellen, zalure are essential. And what skill you have in video games is indispensible. Do your best to survive, stick it through, and before you know it, you defeat ultimate Dark Falz and Olga Flow with ease.