PDA

View Full Version : Shuri's Classic Bestsellers: Dell Tech Support

KodiaX987
Mar 6, 2007, 09:28 AM
This is old. Jurrassic old. But I found this in my old notepads and felt this was worthy to be another nail in Dell's coffin.

-------------------------------------------------------

I once had a Dell Dimension L. That computer was so fucking stupidly made that you couldn't just screw new drives in. You have to fit them on clips that slid into the respective slots.

Now, I want to add an extra HD. I crack open the case and find a pair of clips made for FDDs - which don't fit into the HD holes. But there are no HD clips... So I figured Dell might have some in stock, who knows. It's their cases.

So I phone India.

*wait-wait-wait-wait-wait*

Me: Hi, I'm calling about my Dimension computer.
TS #1: Yes, may I have the computer number, please?
Me: It's [xxxxx]
TS #1: Thank you, so, you have a Dimension L 933r, correct?
Me: That's right.
TS #1: All right, so, what is your question?
Me: I wish to install an extra hard drive. Now, the way the case is designed, I can't just screw it in, I need a pair of clips. The computer came with floppy drive clips, but I need hard drive clips.
TS #1: Oh, I wouldn't know about that... Here, let me transfer you to the proper department and they should know about it.
Me: Thanks.

*ring*

TS #2: Hello?
Me: Yes, I'm calling about [copypasta story here].
TS #2: Oh, I'm sorry, sir, I have no idea what you're talking about. Let me transfer you to someone I know, I'm sure he'll know how to deal with this.

*ring*

TS #1: Yes?
Me: I'm calling about [copypasta story again].
TS #1: Wait... didn't we speak to each other five minutes ago?
Me: ...Now that I hear you speaking, yeah, I recognize your voice.
TS #1: What happened?
Me: Well, the girl I talked to didn't have a clue so she said she'd transfer me to someone who would know.
TS #1: ...OK, hang on, let's try this again. I'll transfer you to a third section who should know better.

*ring*

TS #1: Hello?
Me: ...Hello?
TS #1: Yes, how can I help you?
Me: I'm calling about a pair of clips...
TS #1: ...Wait, didn't it transfer you?
Me: I thought it did!
TS #1: So did I! *sigh* OK, guess I just pressed the wrong button, let's try this again.

*ring*

TS #3: Yes, how can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I'm calling about [copypasta story again].
TS #3: I'm sorry sir, I cannot help you with this issue. You'll have to call the parts service department (whatever it's called) at 1-800-xxx-xxxx
Me: *sigh* Got it, thanks.

*dial*
*ring*

TS #4: Hi, how can I help you?
Me: Yes, I'm calling about [copypasta story yet again].
TS #4: All right, please hold while I transfer you.

*ring*

TS #5: Yes?
Me: I'm calling about [copypasta].
TS #5: Pardon me?
Me: Clips. I need clips for my hard drive so it can slide into place into its slot.
TS #5: Clips... Hold on a minute while I verify.
Me: ...Do these clips even exist?
TS #5: I'm looking at it right now... Hmm, I don't have any information about this. Let me transfer you upstairs, I'm sure they'll know something.
Me: Uh-huh.

*ring*

TS #6: Hello, how can I help you?
Me: Yes, I'm calling about [copypasta again].
TS #6: For a Dimension L?
Me: Correct.
TS #6: Hmmm... Sir, I'm sorry, that computer model was not designed to accept an extra hard drive.

I look at my open computer and the huge, gaping hole the size of a hallway that would have perfectly accepted an extra HD or CD-ROM drive. There was even a small plaque to cover it up if it was empty (and it was empty.)

Me: ............Thanks.

*click*

I used to be afraid of custom-building before that call. Not anymore.

In comparison, here's my one and only tech support call at ASUS:

*ring*
*15 seconds later*
Dude with American accent: Hello?
Me: GUH!... Uh-ah-OK, yes, I'm calling about my motherboard, the northbridge fan...
Dude: Ah, for an A8V-E Deluxe?
Me: Yes.
Dude: Yes, we know, we realized many of them are defective. Just bring your box to the shop where you bought it, we sent an advice and they'll fix you right up for free.
Me: Thanks!

The shop changed the fan for an Xbox-sized heatsink. Problem solved at the root. FOREVER.

foamcup
Mar 8, 2007, 10:15 PM
Ah, Dell. They need to stop selling to the home market and focus on selling to businesses. My old box went up in smoke (DON'T ASK >_>;) so my dad got me a Dell. I like the case, I'm going to eventually tear everything out and replace it since all their shit is proprietary.