PDA

View Full Version : My computer died X(

W0LB0T
Mar 7, 2007, 02:14 AM
I was playing PSU having a grand ol` time. untill the screen looked someting like this.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/W0LB0T/thecomputerisrooted.gif

ive seen this screen before but this time was diffrent because the computer stopped responding but the music kept playing. i hit the trusty reset button only to find to my horror that there is multicolored dots all over everything and windows don't start.

i managed to get it started in safe mode and i ran a virus scan to find a friendly Trojan virus. form here id assumed that it has opened up and let all the Greeks out. i have not turned my comp on ever since

Blitzkommando
Mar 7, 2007, 02:32 AM
From the description it sounds like more than just a virus. It sounds like serious video artifacting. How old is your graphics card and have you overclocked it or was it factory overclocked? That could account for a lot of the problems if the card died. Do you have another graphics card to try?

EDIT: Do you know how hot the card is getting? Heat can cause that as well, and heat can damage over time so it doesn't necessarily happen from day one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2007-03-06 23:32 ]</font>

W0LB0T
Mar 7, 2007, 04:54 AM
Hmm... i reckon your right about the graphics card problem. Its been one hot summer so it may of damaged it. my graphics card it 2 years old. there is an onboard graphics card. i should try that and see if my graphics card has melted.

W0LB0T
Mar 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
Yep your 100% right about the graphics card burning out. it works perfectly fine with the onboard graphics. im not gonna have much money for a new one after spending a good proton of it on an xbox 360 and i still owe my bro $300 for the Wii and gamecube.

Can any one recommend a good graphics card i should get. my Motherboard has have PCI express and AGP slots.

Blitzkommando
Mar 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
PCI-Express and AGP? You have one of those fancy Asrock boards (or ECS or ASUS)? It really depends on your budget and power supply but for most people an Nvidia 7600GT works wonders for both PCI-Express and AGP. If you want the most powerful AGP card you could opt for the X1950 Pro that is ATI based. Both are excellent cards and come in both AGP and PCI-Express flavors with the PCI-Express versions being cheaper overall.