PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Storyline - Subtle hints

MightyMule
Dec 5, 2002, 01:39 PM
I won't actually write anything about the storyline of the Phantasy Star Universe here but just a few observations I have made in the last few days.

I can assume that in the last few days most of you have seen the news that Sega will be re-releasing PS 1,2, and 4 for the PS2. They will be reworked with new art, weapons, etc... Since PSO is out for the Gamecube (and the Xbox soon) the logical platform for these games would be the those since a new fan base around Phantasy Star has been formed. So why release the remakes to the PS2? Well we have also seen hints that Phantasy Star V might be in development for the PS2 so it could easily be assumed that the remakes of these games are being released to help future sales of Phantasy Star V by introducing players to the Phantasy Star world, its previous characters, stories, etc.. By why not release Phantasy Star 3 in the remake? Maybe Phantasy Star V will only refer back to PS 1,2, & 4 as the history of the Phantasy Star universe. So where does 3 fit into the grand scheme...and then we have to make an ever bigger consideration of where does PSO fit in.

alot of speculation there on the intentions and reasons why sega would only re-release 1,2,4 but I thought it was worth posting.

Ghen
Dec 5, 2002, 01:46 PM
Well, traditionally PS3 has been the red headed step child among the series. I would have to concur that it is my least favorite as well.

MilkManX
Dec 5, 2002, 02:23 PM
Yes I agree that the re-release remakes of PS1,2,and 4 are leading up to Phantasy Star V.

JordanLund
Dec 5, 2002, 06:17 PM
I think it makes perfect sense to have them on the Playstation 2 (used to avoid confusion with PS2 ;^) for the simple reason is that those poor people got the shaft and weren't able to play PSO!

Throw them a bone and let them experience the classic PS series. It's not needed on the Gamecube because by the time they come out the device to play GBA games on the Cube will be out and folks can just play Phantasy Star Collection on their TV.

As far as the Xbox goes... I wonder if people would pay for a downloadable Genesis emulator and downloadable Genesis games? Hmm...

Whatley
Dec 5, 2002, 09:30 PM
PS3 takes place on Parma, which was destroyed in PS2. That is why PS3 is not being remade.

Polenicus
Dec 6, 2002, 07:29 AM
On 2002-12-05 18:30, Whatley wrote:
PS3 takes place on Parma, which was destroyed in PS2. That is why PS3 is not being remade.

No, not quite.

PS3 takes place on the Parman Worldship Alisa III, one of only 2 that survived of the 400 launched. Many left the Algol system, many landed on Motavia or Dezorias. Of the ones that left the Algol star system, only the Alisa III endured.

Basically, PS III is an unnecessary part of the story. It doesn't affect the Algol star system, doesn't provide any important clues to the overall meaning of events, and doesn't affect PSO (If, as is believed, the Coralians departed Algol AFTER PSIV, fleeing an increasingly harsh Motavian climate). It's a side story, really, and in that sense not needed to understand the series. For that reason it probably wasn't deemed worth remaking.

Kalbelgarion
Dec 6, 2002, 08:25 PM
I *seriously* doubt that the PS Remakes are hints of what PSO's really about. It would make very, very little sense:

-The remakes are on the PS2. The PSO games are on the GCN and XBOX. It doesn't add up.
-Sonic Team's the only one who knows what the real deal with PSO's story is. Another company altogether is putting together the remakes. They have no ties or connections, besides the fact that they are both putting out Sega games.

Also: Many, many phans feel that PSIII has as much to do with the events in PSO as PSIV. Many (dare I say most?) phans think that the Ruins are the spaceship Alisa III, and the planet Ragol is Earth, which the Alisians landed on circa 2100 AD, in Aron's ending, thanks to a time warp. (*Plugs his own theory page (http://home.twcny.rr.com/phantasystar/index.htm)*)

ChokingVictim
Dec 7, 2002, 06:22 AM
they were in a giant spacestation in ps III, given a similar name...fleeing the old homeworld....

kinda like how it's silly that the pilgrims left plymouth and landed in plymouth......odd hmm

PSIII gets the shaft for a) being a crappy game and b) having few if any connections to any of the important people responsible for PS....

it had a few good ideas, the 4 endings was uniquw and original... but it pales in comparison to ps 2 and 4, i was never lucky enough to play the original... 2 and 4 were epic, 3 was actually kind of cheesy... having to save your bride from monsters at the start of the game, bah

HUcastAndroid888
Dec 7, 2002, 09:27 AM
http://www.camineet.net/polls.shtml
Check it out for 2 screens of the remake.

ChokingVictim
Dec 7, 2002, 11:29 AM
i like what i see so far, just hope they port it over to xbox....

BendMeOver
Dec 7, 2002, 03:28 PM
the story of pso is nicely told by these screens,

v1&v2 (http://www.phantasy-star.net/pso/PioneerProject.swf)

Ep1&2 (http://www.phantasy-star.net/pso/RagolIncident.swf)
Both require the Shockwave Flash Plugin

Kalbelgarion
Dec 7, 2002, 03:56 PM
ChokingVictim, I must disagree with just about everything you said about PSIII. PSIII happens to be my favorite video game of all time, and I think it's as important a member of the series as PS2 or PS4 are. Once someone plays Aron's ending, everything that happened it PS2 finally makes a lot more sense. Most people believe that Alisa III is directly tied into Ragol's history. PS3 includes a pair of protectors that saved Algol after the Earthmen were destroyed: Orakio and Laya.

...And I certainly don't think that the biggest twist that I've ever seen in a video game is "cheesy". (That being the revelation near the end of the second generation).

Oh, well. To each his own, I suppose.

ChokingVictim
Dec 8, 2002, 12:03 PM
which was the ending where they bump into earth or whatever...... now that was lame

Kalbelgarion
Dec 8, 2002, 12:35 PM
In Aron's ending, Dark Force's tactics force Alisa III to go into a black hole. They are then warped through time and space, and end up at modern day Earth. This explains PSII's ending plot twist. It wasn't lame: It was a great tale of cosmic irony that fit everything together.

Spektrum
Dec 9, 2002, 11:07 AM
Groooovy! Looks good... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif