PDA

View Full Version : High-Fantasy or Sci-Fi?

BlueDagger
Mar 17, 2007, 12:04 AM
I just finished the story I was writing. It was set in my fantasy world... lots of history to remember, people have to talk a certain way(not all "ye thee shall with a E after every word" though) and technology is very limited...

So I'm starting my new story now! I know where I'm going if do another one in my fantasy world. I got it all planned out... mostly. But if I choose to start something totally now, in a more modern, not exactly Stars Wars, Sci-Fi world, then I'll have alot of thinking to do.

What do you think?

Jive18
Mar 17, 2007, 12:25 AM
Being a LotR fan I would normally say Fantasy, but you might as well go for SciFi. It might be more work, but the satisfaction of writing a story in a different genre would be worth it. Good luck.

DizzyDi
Mar 17, 2007, 10:05 AM
Do a modern story with fantasy elements.

chaos89
Mar 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
Its going to need lots of sex and nudity...

Omega_Weltall
Mar 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
i like a little mix of both like how Phantasy Star 1 was. But i'd have to go with Sci Fi. Especially in MMO's, High Fantasy has been done... to death.

Allos
Mar 18, 2007, 10:03 AM
Being a die-hard Star Wars fan, I say go with sci-fi.

<3 d20 Star Wars

Split
Mar 18, 2007, 10:35 AM
what's the difference between fantasy and high fantasy?

BlueDagger
Mar 19, 2007, 12:17 AM
On 2007-03-18 08:35, Split wrote:
what's the difference between fantasy and high fantasy?

As far as I believe high-fantasy is is stuff like Lord of the Rings, with tons of lore, fictional languages and everything like that... low-fantasy is just... not so detailed... I supose Harry Potter *shivver* is a good example of this, being that it takes place in the real world(as far as I know).

Read all about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mixfortune
Mar 19, 2007, 12:47 AM
I find creating your own world without set genre boundaries and limitations to be a lot more fun. Pick and choose your elements, history and inventions that fall into where you want to go, and set it off to evolve on its own merit. The characters, settings, and actions would reflect this creation as natural, because it is natural to your story and storytelling.

Shiro_Ryuu
Mar 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
Put some nudity in it.

BlueDagger
Mar 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
At this point I'm leaning toward doing something more modern, but putting it a futuristic version of my high-fantasy world. Sorta' like Middle-Earth meets Star Wars!...
But then again, I don't know. Maybe I'll do two things at once http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif And start getting the plots mixed up!

"... And Sir Knight, The Good Doer pulled out a machine gun and bambarded Lord Evil Man with bullets, ending his evil reign..."

DizzyDi
Mar 19, 2007, 03:24 PM
I actually have to agree with Mixfortune.
Don't make a story with the basis of "Its like LotR! BUT WITH STAR WARS MIXED IN!" Cause if you do it that way, people WILL notice the parallels and it WILL detract from your story and world.
But thats just me.