PDA

View Full Version : Private Servers (must read)

cashizslick
Mar 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
All,

I have done some thinking lately on weather or not private servers should be promoted here and have come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea for several reasons:

1.) It is against the PSOW terms of use

2.) It is against the private server owner's wishes

3.) An influx of players will only cause lag and reduced play (performance wise) on the free servers as more people are coming online. When this happends, free servers will need to get bigger/better which will cost money. Who do you think is going to have to pay for that upgrade?

I just want to ask everybody here who does play on a free server to keep that fact on the DL as far as promoting.

Granted I have made comments in the past few weeks that sound like Private Server endorsements, but from this point on I will refrain from making similar comments. . . .

I ask all of you fellow PSOW members who DO use Private Servers to do the same.

Thanks.

Umberger
Mar 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
I think a "don't ask, don't tell" policy would be best in this case.

cashizslick
Mar 19, 2007, 12:09 PM
Well that is the current policy here, and at the "other site" . . . but people (albet myself) have been forgetting that lately.

Octavian
Mar 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
it's probably better for everyone if we just stop talking about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octavian on 2007-03-19 12:40 ]</font>

Nitro Vordex
Mar 19, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hey, is that a giant padlock? It's coming this way...*telepipes*

Callous
Mar 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
I don't agree with this thread at all. More people knowing about it = more people playing = larger community = more life for PSO.

cashizslick
Mar 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
On 2007-03-20 07:10, Callous wrote:
I don't agree with this thread at all. More people knowing about it = more people playing = larger community = more life for PSO.

more players = more lag = bigger servers needed = costs money = closure of free servers.

ThEoRy
Mar 20, 2007, 02:56 PM
if someone were to invite me to a private server (hint hint) I would be more than happy to revive my very high lvl characters for a few runs. of course any info would be considered top secret.

cashizslick
Mar 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
Did you even read my original post??

Mods - on account of nobody being able to read, can i get a lock?

CupOfCoffee
Mar 20, 2007, 03:28 PM
First off, I'd like to point out that this is hardly a "must read." It's just you agreeing with PSOW's existing policy on private servers. Why is this important?

Second, if you scream "LOCK!" at the first sign of people disagreeing with you, why did you post your opinion on a message board?

Third, there aren't really enough PSO fans in general to fill up a free server so completely and so frequently that the maker would feel the need to upgrade to a bigger server. Even if there were enough people for that, I doubt the person who runs the server would see it as a bad thing that it's full so often.

DikkyRay
Mar 20, 2007, 05:22 PM
On 2007-03-20 08:28, cashizslick wrote:

On 2007-03-20 07:10, Callous wrote:

more players = more lag = bigger servers needed = costs money = closure of free servers.

Actually, the private server actually said:
"Sega CAN SUE if it is premoted enough."
We don't want that do we?

VioletSkye
Mar 20, 2007, 05:26 PM
Locked per OP request